Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1. Especially when working with drum kits, I wish using Control/ Option key or some such, I could click on the note in the grid and audition it. Sure you can wait till it cycles through, but it would be nice to be able to immediately audition any note in the grid.
It's on the todo list, may not make v1 though, although I'll assess how easy it will be to add.
Couple of questions here ... I know from looking at the txt file kit presets that the drum kits use what looks like two sets of 12 samples per kit. Sometimes I hear panning that seems like it's changing from hit to hit on the same note in the grid ... is this because the samples are alternating and they were each panned right and left in the samples themselves? Or?
As TJ says it's the spread on the synth page :)
2. The other thing I'd like would be to highlight/ select a subgroup of notes in the grid ... lasso or control/ option click or something ... and then be able to use the 'Shift' once they are selected to move them around, ideally with their tie, octave, etc. settings following them.
This is also on the todo list!
Bug?: 'Shift' behavior. First there seems to be a response delay that makes the notes overshoot where you try to place them ... as they run on a few steps up or down as you try to set them to a new position. They also seem to move quite fast once they start to respond to the mouse movement. Finally, once you click on 'Shift,' the movement continues in the same initial direction, regardles whether you later move the mouse in an opposite direction. You have to release and reclick to reverse the direction
Ahhh the moving up/down issue is a bug, I'll fix that. The response delay I can't reproduce here, although the entire of the sequencer display needs reworking as it is using an SE window type and is somewhat sluggish as there is a lot of drawing. Unfortunately it's a fairly big job as I'll have to use the newest SDK to get around it which is very different, and so won't be just yet. I would say just move slowly for the time being. It performs ok for me but I guess performance could vary between hosts/systems.

Still can't reproduce the flip crash unfortunately.

Just to let you all know I am just starting to update the manual :)

Astralp wrote:Still can't reproduce the flip crash unfortunately.
Understood. Thanks for the effort.

It may have been something corrupt in that project or something that only appears after a heavy midi load in Cubase. I'll keep you posted.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Yep, if you can spot any clues that would be greatly helpful, we'll find it eventually.

Feature request/ suggestion of the day. We have 'Flip.' How about 'Invert?'

I'd find this musically useful to flip vertically as well as horizontally.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Added to the FR list.

All of the other load buttons work except the squash to scale load button. I thought it may be a case of pixel hunting. Tried Vortex in three different hosts.

How strange Mark... I'll have another look and try and work out why.

I'm getting strange retrigger behaviour in Maschine, the loop goes silent every over two bars. But when i stop playback in maschine the sequence loops normally. I'm also getting a fatal error and Access Violation in FL Studio, can't load Vortex at all.

Loads and loops fine in Cantabile but shift bug: Whatever direction i drag the notes in they continue to be dragged in the direction whichever way i drag the mouse until i release it.

Still getting stuck yellow notes in Cantabile via my computer keyboard ot the maschine pads, once a note has been pressed it remains lit. Playing the notes on my keyboard resets them all.

Multi works initially then stops working once i've triggered a few notes and doesn't work until i reload a fresh instance.

My main issues seem to be retriggering notes and sequences. Maschine is just sending one note on message when i trigger a pad but repeatedly pressing it changes the sequence, sometimes it play randomly, trhe lights flying about but then it will reset and play normally. The only other data i can see being sent is aftertouch.

Some FRs: Once stutter is enabled adjust the speed of the stutter for buildups and breakdowns.

Distortion or saturation effect to warm up/overdrive the drums. athough you could use external effects...

Retriggers to open a gate on the various effects, one for delay, soundcaper, and each of the modulators that would only work on the sequence with triggers active.

Also more groove orientated wave types in the modulators to create dissonance and ambiguity on the drum patterns. :)

Just some ideas, i am prepared to be shot down. :oops:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

I'm getting strange retrigger behaviour in Maschine, the loop goes silent every over two bars. But when i stop playback in maschine the sequence loops normally. I'm also getting a fatal error and Access Violation in FL Studio, can't load Vortex at all.
It's loading fine in FL here, was it a new project or a saved one?

Did you uninstall/re-install the samples for the last beta?

We will have to do a midi log to get to the bottom of what's going on with maschine, I think for the moment I'll have to mark it as incompatible..
Loads and loops fine in Cantabile but shift bug: Whatever direction i drag the notes in they continue to be dragged in the direction whichever way i drag the mouse until i release it.
This is fixed in the next beta.
Still getting stuck yellow notes in Cantabile via my computer keyboard ot the maschine pads, once a note has been pressed it remains lit. Playing the notes on my keyboard resets them all.
This is fixed in the next beta, thanks. Cantabile sends note offs as a note on with zero velocity, although Vortex checks for this, the display keyboard didn't.
Multi works initially then stops working once i've triggered a few notes and doesn't work until i reload a fresh instance.

My main issues seem to be retriggering notes and sequences. Maschine is just sending one note on message when i trigger a pad but repeatedly pressing it changes the sequence, sometimes it play randomly, trhe lights flying about but then it will reset and play normally. The only other data i can see being sent is aftertouch.
So is this all Maschine related? does it work fine with your midi keyboard?
Some FRs: Once stutter is enabled adjust the speed of the stutter for buildups and breakdowns.

Distortion or saturation effect to warm up/overdrive the drums. athough you could use external effects...

Retriggers to open a gate on the various effects, one for delay, soundcaper, and each of the modulators that would only work on the sequence with triggers active.
All Noted, the triggers will be developed much further after v1 is released, I have plans :)
Also more groove orientated wave types in the modulators to create dissonance and ambiguity on the drum patterns. :)
Explain a bit more if you will :)

Any reason I shouldn't be able to load more than one instance of Vortex in Cubase 6?

I note I have no issue loading multiple instances of ARP.

Como

Couple of other glitches tonight in Cubase.

With a couple of instances of ARP loaded, one of the Vortex sequencers started running on it's own. It also ran when triggered, sort of doing double duty.

I unloaded it in Cubase and went to reload it, but now when I reloaded, Cubasee froze. Task manager said it was 'not responding,' but I could see some activity in the processes window of task manager.

Como

I'll try and get the latest beta out today, there's no reason I can think of why multiple vortexes shouldn't work.. I'll do some testing here.

Beta 18 Released.

Important! Now uses an installer, so please delete the existing directory in your vst plugin directory and from now on the installer will auto update each time.

Also this version has no samples/instruments with it, so is only useful to registered users who have the sample pack installed. Next I will be making a demo version for everyone else.

* Trigger Activity is now yellow.
* Shift Up/Down now works correctly.
* Fixed a bug on the multi Scale display sometimes selecting wrong key.
* Fixed a bug related to set All causing a crash in certain situations, this may also be responsible for the occasional Flip crash reported by Como.
* Manual has been updated, still needs refining but most info is in there now.
* Localised default System (Green Buttons) now in place for setting sections to their default Values.
* Global Default (Green button) in the master section will set Vortex to a default clean state.
* Some presets Added
* Fixed 2 bugs in Multi-Mode, and added a safegaurd against hanging sequences.
* Output Levels Re-Aligned
* Synced Triggers improved
* CC Mixer values not updating when first loaded.
* FX Could not wake up occasionally resulting in silent output
* Quad was not working correctly
* Aftertouch was causing cpu spikes
* Trigger Sync Improved.
* back and Forward cycle issue resolved
* Drum Kits could load multiple times.
* Multi Scale Select improved
* CTRL + SHIFT on Multi Scale Select randomizes all octave sequences
* Drum Mode Button - Switches all Pitch related settings to off for the current sequence so that pitch is never transposed in multi-mode.
* Retrigger Trigger now always retriggers when pressed and then constantly once held.

For best results, assign knobs on your controller to cutoff(cc74), resonance(cc71), fx mix(cc91), Filter Decay(cc75), and Release(cc72) then give a preset a try and play with these knobs, really brings Vortex into a new dimension!

There are 16 presets now, still need some tweaking, and more of them...

TJ - Let me know if you things have improved with Maschine, I think I found/addressed some potential causes.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”