Turnado recording and midi control

Official support for: sugar-bytes.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I absolutely love Turnado. Brilliant product guys. But I'm having problems making the most of it. How does everyone record their ideas? There are a few different ways to do it and I think I've tried them all, but I can't seem to find the most efficient way to lay down my ideas. This is such a fun jam tool, and I want to be able to record my little improv jams quickly.

I'm using it as a midi controlled instrument in Logic, with an Akai controller. I have the control knobs mapped to the ones in Turnado. I'll have a synth or an audio track sidechained into the Turnado track, that I'll jam on and manipulate the sound with the Akai. When I record, I see that the midi info is being recorded, but effects like the slice arranger don't seem to want to save, and even worse, don't turn off after playback, unless I turn the effect off completely. When I do that, I have to find the place the knob was at, but then it doesn't sync the same way.

I've tried just bussing Turnado into an audio track and recording without the midi info, but then I lose a lot of flexibility and have to sift through the audio files and find the loops I like. Can you guys share your techniques for recording the most efficiently with midi controllers?

Thanks!

Hi,

i think your approach using a MIDI controller is basically the best. Of course you have to take care about some effects. The slice arranger and also all other loopers are triggered effects. That means it's important to define the correct start and end position. So please make sure that on your song start all effects are off. Then you can define a dedicated start of the slice arranger and you should turn it off. If you stop your song while it's on it will continue playing, like an endless reverb would do. There is a hidden feature which will stop all effects together with the sequencer, to activate it go to the settings screen and press the O in On/'O'ff at the top.
Hope this helps
Robert

Thanks for your prompt response Robert. The O thing worked, why is that a "hidden" feature! Seems pretty necessary to me!

I still find Turnado to be buggy when it comes to the "triggered effects" staying in sync, or saving the exact position of the knob that I recorded. I will play the same sequence from the same spot and get different sounding loops and effects. I often find myself having to reset the knobs on my controller to hear the effect, then having to find the parameter that I had all over again. I'm running the 1.1 update in Logic 9, 64bit mode.

<That means it's important to define the correct start and end position. So please make sure that on your song start all effects are off. Then you can define a dedicated start of the slice arranger and you should turn it off>

Can you further explain this and give examples of how it applies in Logic? I'm trying to really understand how Turnado as a midi-controlled instrument and a Daw like Logic work in conjunction with each other.

Thanks again.

Maybe we'll make it an official feature in the next version.

>I will play the same sequence from the same spot and get different sounding >loops and effects.
That should not be the case if you use MIDI to activate the effects.

I think you are on the right track, make sure to set your MIDI events at the exact location you want. Maybe you should turn off keysync in the effects if you use events from a MIDI track, since this can be confusing.
If you have a sequence of events which you think causing a wrong behaviour please make a video or send us the songfile (support[at]sugar-bytes.de)

Robert

Return to “Sugar Bytes”