What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Predator Arpeggiator Pattern Problems

Official support for: robpapen.com

Moderators: Meffy, Concretefx, Rob Papen

rtz
KVRer

14 posts since 20 Feb, 2012

Postby rtz; Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:49 pm Predator Arpeggiator Pattern Problems

Hi,

[Predator 1.62]

When using the arpeggiator pattern "Ordered Up/Down" I'm not getting the behavior described in the manual: "the notes are ordered from lowest to highest and are played in that order". For example, with the arp set to a span of one octave, when I playback a hard-quantized C minor triad -- C Eb G -- the order of the notes played is Eb G Eb C though I expected C Eb G Eb. Put another way, the note order is 2 3 2 1 instead of the expected 1 2 3 2.

When I selected "Ordered Down/Up", I expected the pattern G Eb C Eb (3 2 1 2) but instead I get Eb C Eb G (2 1 2 3).

In fact, I discovered that all arpeggiator patterns except for Random always start playback on the second note of a hard-quantized triad. So, in an attempt to "fool" the arpeggiator into playing the lowest note first for "Up" and "Ordered Up/Down" I recorded a very fast strum of C, Eb, and G and played it back unquantized. But even those notes, now spaced apart by several ticks apiece, play back with the second note first (Eb) when many of the arpeggiator patterns are selected.

For comparison, and working in Logic, I cabled an arpeggiator to my Predator instrument and assigned it to the track (so now, notes in region-->Logic Arpeggiator-->Predator Instrument). And of course I changed Predator's Play Mode to Poly so that the internal arpeggiator was no longer driving it. Sure enough, Logic's arpeggiator consistently played C as the first note for its "Up" pattern, and G as the first note for its "Down" pattern. Other Logic arpeggiator patterns worked as expected too.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something with regard to how I need to approach Predator's arpeggiator to get patterns to play back predictably.

Insights Appreciated!

Peter Schwartz
Concretefx
KVRAF

3500 posts since 6 Feb, 2003, from UK

Postby Concretefx; Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:58 am

Hi there

Hmm, about this and the other issue I'll need to investigate. However this might be difficult to fix since people are using the arp at the moment so if I changed it other peoples song would sound different.

Cheers

Jon
rtz
KVRer

Postby rtz; Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly on both of these situations. Regarding the arpeggiator... I completely understand that if you fixed it that it would affect everyone who's using the arp. But on the other hand, there's really not much difference between some of the pattern modes.

Suggestion, FWIW... would it be possible to add a button to the arp section for the next rev of Predator (v1.7?) called "pre 1.7 mode" that switches between the current style of the patterns and corrected patterns?

Best Regards,

Peter
Concretefx
KVRAF

3500 posts since 6 Feb, 2003, from UK

Postby Concretefx; Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am

Hi there

Yes that's a good idea, I'll have to investigate. Unfortunately we are 100% busy with our new plugin Blade at the moment, but that will be released in a couple of weeks time, giving me time to do such things then.

Cheers

Jon
rtz
KVRer

Postby rtz; Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:48 am

Hello Jon,

Thanks so much for your replies to all three of my posts. Wishing you the best with the development on Blade!

Regards,

Peter

Moderators: Meffy, Concretefx, Rob Papen

Return to Rob Papen