VolumeShaper 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VolumeShaper

Breeze wrote:there's currently no way to scale the effect of VolumeShaper smoothly from no effect to full intensity.
In FL Studio there is a Dry/Wet Mix knob for each FX 8)

VibraSound wrote:
Breeze wrote:there's currently no way to scale the effect of VolumeShaper smoothly from no effect to full intensity.
Good idea: I can set that up to do this with Metaplugin or Bidule. Not on the market for a new host right now. ;) But it would be so much simpler to do this in VolumeShaper itselt and it would avoid having to use an extra sub-host.

Anyway, it's up to CableGuys. It's their baby, and they do what they want with it. It's possible no one else has any use for this. This is my last post on the subject. Carry on! :)

Breeze wrote:
VibraSound wrote:
Good idea: I can set that up to do this with Metaplugin or Bidule. Not on the market for a new host right now. ;) But it would be so much simpler to do this in VolumeShaper itselt and it would avoid having to use an extra sub-host.

Anyway, it's up to CableGuys. It's their baby, and they do what they want with it. It's possible no one else has any use for this. This is my last post on the subject. Carry on! :)
Hey Breeze, sorry to ask you for another post on the subject...: We'd like to keep VolumeShaper as streamlined as possible, so we wonder what the exact use-case for a dry/wet control is?

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Breeze wrote:
VibraSound wrote:Hey Breeze, sorry to ask you for another post on the subject...: We'd like to keep VolumeShaper as streamlined as possible, so we wonder what the exact use-case for a dry/wet control is?
"Once more into the breach!" :)

The primary reason for me is to simply be able to fade the VS effect in and out. I can think of many ways this can be useful. For example, I have a steady pad playing in the background and as a drum beat is faded in or an rhythmic arrangement builds, I want to use VS to impart a rhythm to the pad but I want that rhythm to slowly fade in as the rhythm builds. Dry/wet would do the trick.

You could also quickly create controllable in/out behaviors (fades, cuts) with rapid automation of the dry/wet control. Or like I mentioned before, control and modulate the effect's intensity with another auto modulator like MidiShaper.

Another thing it could be used for is to use two or more instances of VS on the same track and then crossfading between them to change the effect on the same material. The current system of wave presets is great for quick changes, but doing crossfades between them would be a lot harder to implement. BTW, with multiple instances you can also sum VS effects.

You could also easily assign separate VS instances to multiple layers of rhythms, instruments or even sub-mixes, and dry/wet controls would allow you to cross-fade VS effects between them to your heart's content.

I hope this makes it clearer. Again, with all due respect, I fully understand your desires and constraints. But to me... it's a lot of added versatility for a little math and one tiny knob! :)

Breeze, you convinced us. I guess chances are good that we'll introduce a dry/wet control. If not with 3.0, then with a 3.1 update.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Breeze, you convinced us. I guess chances are good that we'll introduce a dry/wet control. If not with 3.0, then with a 3.1 update.
All I can say is: :wheee:

Thanks!

:tu:

Dry/Wet knob is very nice to control the pumping intensity of the sidechain FX.

Automation of the mix knob (dry/wet) is a very creative tool.

Volumeshaper 8)
I think the dry/wet idea would be much cooler if it morphed the lfo waveform from "flat" (full audio passing through) to whatever the drawn waveform is. That way you just hear the effect gradually apply to the audio. Crossfading from a "dry" audio signal to "100% wet" audio signal would not be as cool sounding IMO. Something you can easily do in your DAW anyway with some basic routing. If you added this dry/wet feature in the "morphing" style it could be a parameter on each lfo page, and also a master dry/wet knob that could controll them all.

.02 cents

:)

btw Im not sure if that is what Breeze had in mind or not, I guess it isn't because subhosts couldn't make this happen ?

ChiTown24 wrote:Volumeshaper 8) I think the dry/wet idea would be much cooler if it morphed the lfo waveform from "flat" (full audio passing through) to whatever the drawn waveform is. That way you just hear the effect gradually apply to the audio.
btw Im not sure if that is what Breeze had in mind or not, I guess it isn't because subhosts couldn't make this happen ?
That's exactly what I had in mind. The "Dry/Wet" terminology didn't come from me but the net result has to be what you're describing or it would be much less effective as we'd be crossfading a full waveform to the effected waveform. Since we're talking about changing the volume from an unaffected one to an effected one, the transition from one to the other has to increment the moment the "dry/wet" knob increments from fully "dry", which is like going from the flat line to the drawn waveform.

I was sure that distinction was clear, so I hesitated to comment on it. In my proof of concept that's what happens: I phase invert the signal going into VolumeShaper and then remix it with the dry signal. At "Dry" we only hear the main signal and as VS is faded in, being out of phase, it immediately starts "eating away" at the main signal to the point where its full effect is felt when both are at the same level.

Within VS itself, it's rather trivial to do either this or more simply multiply the effected output volume gain by whatever the dry/wet knob dictates. I'm pretty sure CableGuys got it, but just in case... ;)

Breeze wrote:I'm pretty sure CableGuys got it, but just in case... ;)
Got it!

And for now, VolumeShaper 3 is out!

Pretty happy over here that we can soon concentrate on Curve 2 development again (but there will still be time for a VolumeShaper 3.1 update with a decent dry/wet control).

Breeze wrote: That's exactly what I had in mind. The "Dry/Wet" terminology didn't come from me but the net result has to be what you're describing...

but just in case... ;)
Yes let's be ultra super specific just in case! ;)

If it was going to be done with audio signals then yes the phase inverted proof of concept method you described of "eating away" at the dry signal would be best.

But I don't think that would sound the same as the actual LFO waveform morphing from 0% (flat LFO waveform. full audio passing through) to 100% (whatever the drawn LFO waveform is. audio fully effected)

Maybe I am wrong but I don't think those would yield the same results ?

ChiTown24 wrote:Maybe I am wrong but I don't think those would yield the same results ?
In principle they should. In both cases you're just modifying gain, but I suspect the simple gain multiplication method would be more accurate and likely smoother, especially if there's oversampling or interpolation going on. With phase inversion it's a coarse sample by sample subtraction. But really I don't know: that's why I leave that stuff to the professionals. ;)

In other news: Congratulations on the new baby, CableGuys! :party: :party: :party:

sent cableguys an email..

no matter what i do i can't get the AU component to show up and i get some bogus error when dragging it into the component folder.

OSX 10.7.3

anyone have any problems w/the component?

VST versions installs fine of course. friggin AUs.

dayjob wrote:sent cableguys an email..

no matter what i do i can't get the AU component to show up and i get some bogus error when dragging it into the component folder.

OSX 10.7.3

anyone have any problems w/the component?

VST versions installs fine of course. friggin AUs.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. It works fine over here, but of course we'd be interested to know if anyone else has issues as well. Steffen - our Mac expert - will look into this.

Return to “Effects”