connecting 2 monitors and 2 PC towers

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heres the deal I got an extra monitor and an extra tower I'd like to connect together for my studio. One tower is a 6core workhorse and the others just one I had before, thats not as powerful but ok. I want to keep my 6core offline but the other online because I dont plan on doing much music on the old one. I've read on subjects like this of course the word Mac always pops up. If someone knows a link or hardware or anything on this subject please help. Thanks :shock:
My name is Tre,I am the vocalist of a local metal band in Greenville S.C. called Red X. I love Metal but I also love electronic music. I plan on adding vsti's to our stage show and recording. I own an Axiom 25,Line6 UX2 and many vsti's

Hello TreDiggy,
If I understand your post correctly, you can connect the two computers via a lan cable, providing both computers have the proper connection on the ports side (back of computer). This would be good for, say, midi over lan, where you would pipe messages from computer A software to computer B software and vice versa.

If you are wanting to utilize the processing power of each, as one, then your idea won't work.

I would recommend a KVR switch wherein each computer is working independently, but both monitors and one keyboard is used at the same time, on the computer that has focus (via the switch).

You should do research on KVR switches for more info.

Also keep in mind that when connecting computers via a network they then suffer any attacks unless protected by virus software (whether or not you "connect" to the web from a computer that you intend NOT to use for internet purposes.)

Hope this helps you some.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

TreDiggy wrote:I want to keep my 6core offline but the other online because I dont plan on doing much music on the old one.
Then just don't connect the music PC to the net. Would you require both PCs to be connected to each other? If not, then what's exactly the problem or what do you want to accomplish?
dsan@mail.com wrote:I would recommend a KVR switch
That would be a KVM switch (Keyboard Video Mouse).
As you probably know, KVR is something different ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Note also that you can get KVM switches that work with a dual monitor setup. A bit pricier but great for controlling two independent computers with one set of controls.

dsan@mail.com wrote:Hello TreDiggy,

I would recommend a KVR switch wherein each computer is working independently, but both monitors and one keyboard is used at the same time, on the computer that has focus (via the switch).

^ what he said :lol:

dsan@mail.com wrote:Hello TreDiggy,
If I understand your post correctly, you can connect the two computers via a lan cable, providing both computers have the proper connection on the ports side (back of computer). This would be good for, say, midi over lan, where you would pipe messages from computer A software to computer B software and vice versa.

If you are wanting to utilize the processing power of each, as one, then your idea won't work.

You should do research on KVR switches for more info.

Also keep in mind that when connecting computers via a network they then suffer any attacks unless protected by virus software (whether or not you "connect" to the web from a computer that you intend NOT to use for internet purposes.)

Hope this helps you some.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
AH Understood, I Like that Idea of pipe messages from computer A software to computer B software and vice versa.
My name is Tre,I am the vocalist of a local metal band in Greenville S.C. called Red X. I love Metal but I also love electronic music. I plan on adding vsti's to our stage show and recording. I own an Axiom 25,Line6 UX2 and many vsti's

BertKoor wrote:
TreDiggy wrote:I want to keep my 6core offline but the other online because I dont plan on doing much music on the old one.
Then just don't connect the music PC to the net. Would you require both PCs to be connected to each other? If not, then what's exactly the problem or what do you want to accomplish?
I'm thinking keeping one connected to the Internet for surfing,Downloading vsts,posting songs and the other not connected, You guys have been a big help, I didnt really know what I wanted to do but I knew the least I could accomplish was having a cool looking set up LOL and thats great In itself, Thanks again

BertKoor wrote:Edit for brevity
Uhhhh.....Derrrr....I knew that! :-o
I was testing you :D

Hope I did not mislead you TreDiggy. :oops: I meant KVM switch.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

dsan@mail.com wrote:
BertKoor wrote:Edit for brevity
Uhhhh.....Derrrr....I knew that! :-o
I was testing you :D

Hope I did not mislead you TreDiggy. :oops: I meant KVM switch.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
lol nah man I figured it out when newegg didn't carry kvr switches ha ha thanks for the help guys :D

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”