Good pick bass plugin under $100?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Neither Kontakt or VI.One that I have includes pick basses and those in the Bass Collection 2 for SampleTank don't sound very good to my ears. The only good-sounding pick basses I have are the SI-Bass Guitar bundled in Sonar and the Fender Precision Bass from Sonivox. Both of them sound quite good but the SI-Bass Guitar has only one velocity layer so it still sounds bright and stiff when played softly.

I just downloaded the trial version of Heavy Pick Bass and Rickenbacker 4003 Bass from Sonivox but their good-sounding pick bass presets sadly have a fixed velocity and other presets are not so useful. The basses from acousticsamples and NI are all fingered and the Manytone's ManyBass is a bit too expensive and has too many knobs and sliders that I don't want.

Do you have any recommendations?

You may check also independence free. Has some bass sounds, and if you like it, they have a full library, Majestic. The product itself is dated, but maybe fine, depending on what you need.

Here you go, it'll be hard to beat the Audiffex Gallien-Krueger Amplification 2.
The vid below speaks for itself. The bass player in my band uses it at home because it sounds clicky and real and fat. it's only £60 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tD4Gpmd ... re=related
Sound Sonic Team
www.soundsonic.com

Thanks a lot for your replies and suggestions. :)

@ScottZ: Which of the two you have recommended do you personally prefer and why? The audio demos of Cherry Electric Bass sound quite good and the plugin seems to have everything in it(slides, noises, etc.). And it's $30 off till the end of this month so I'm really interested. As for DirectBass 2.0, I might try the free version if it works in the full version of Kontakt 4.

@SoundSonicTeam: Does the Audiffex Gallien-Krueger Amplification 2 have slides, muted notes, etc.?

@angelinni: I actually downloaded and installed Independence Free a long time ago but I don't remember if the basses were good(I remember the acoustic drums were quite good). For some reason I uninstalled the program(probably because my collections became full of all-in-one romplers including those already mentioned and Dimension Pro, Nexus 2, etc.) and I'm kind of reluctant to take the trouble to download and install it again. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

J'lien X wrote:Thanks a lot for your replies and suggestions. :)

@ScottZ: Which of the two you have recommended do you personally prefer and why? The audio demos of Cherry Electric Bass sound quite good and the plugin seems to have everything in it(slides, noises, etc.). And it's $30 off till the end of this month so I'm really interested. As for DirectBass 2.0, I might try the free version if it works in the full version of Kontakt 4.

@SoundSonicTeam: Does the Audiffex Gallien-Krueger Amplification 2 have slides, muted notes, etc.?

@angelinni: I actually downloaded and installed Independence Free a long time ago but I don't remember if the basses were good(I remember the acoustic drums were quite good). For some reason I uninstalled the program(probably because my collections became full of all-in-one romplers including those already mentioned and Dimension Pro, Nexus 2, etc.) and I'm kind of reluctant to take the trouble to download and install it again. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!
The Audiffex Amp is a bass amp simulator, i guess you're looking for a virtual instrument bass guitar? Sorry my bad! Therefore I'd suggest Acoustic Samples J Bass it works in NI Kontakt and is fully edited with pick, fingered and muted options.

Once you're happy with the bass sound you could run it thru the Audiffex to make it sound even more like a real bass? nice combo that!
Last edited by SoundSonicTeam on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sound Sonic Team
www.soundsonic.com

I'm always looking inexpensive, high-quality bass instruments.

Ideally, I like the following:

* SFZ/SF2/GIG/VSTi based (something that works with non-Kontakt samplers)
* Doesn't require C/R, Dongles, etc.
* Has multiple Velocity layers, and round robins of each layer.
* Has multiple articulations (down, up, slide, etc) within each type (pick, slap, etc.)
* Efficient on resources
* Inexpensive

One that I've been looking at is:

http://www.realsamples.de/English/index ... ion144.htm

It doesn't seem to have round-robin, but it has 32 velocities, which if altered between 3-4 close velocities, could be easily treated like round robin. It has a GIG format which should work fine in LinuxSampler. There is also a companion slap bass product that can be purchased as well. I haven't tried this, but I'd be interested in hearing from those who have. It only costs $59.95.

--Sean

Edit: It looks like there are more formats available for this product--including Soundfont. Interesting! :-)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it is downloadable--only CD/DVD options.

When you remove Kontakt as an option,you cut out some nice libraries and lots of variety. Aside from that, I like Trilian the best, but it is more than twice your price point. What I find is that if you start with a nice library and route it through a nice virtual amp, you can get almost any sound.
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

Pettinhouse Directbass 2 has a good pick bass.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

grdh20 wrote:When you remove Kontakt as an option,you cut out some nice libraries and lots of variety. Aside from that, I like Trilian the best, but it is more than twice your price point. What I find is that if you start with a nice library and route it through a nice virtual amp, you can get almost any sound.
+1. I keep seeing really nice libraries I just can't use, cheap and free. It seems that the cost of Kontakt may be worthwhile in the long run. I may have to save up for it.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thought the Acoustic Samples Bassysm-M only contained muted basses. I'll check it again. Thanks.

I came across Shreddage Bass Picked Edition, which also sounds good and seems versatile, but using pitch-bend is probably the only way to add vibrato. And I'm not sure if 3 velocity layers are enough(maybe OK).

I read in some other thread that all of the Orangetree sample basses besides Iconic Bass Jaco don't have velocity layers, but the thread was from December last year, which is before Cherry Electric Bass was released. Does anyone know how many velocity layers it has? There's no mention of it in the product page or the user's guide. I know it's possible to create layers combining muted, picked, slap basses, etc., but not sure if it's possible to create layers combining soft and hard picked basses if the product only has one picked bass sample.

Besides, I want to make sure that there's no picked bass in NI Scarbee libraries. Am I correct?

Oh, now I learned that the Cherry Bass uses timbral modeling, so it's possible to simulate soft/hard picked basses.
Although I was initially looking for a picked bass plugin, Cherry seems to cover every electric bass style, which is nice. So I might get it before the introductory discount expires.

braj wrote:
grdh20 wrote:When you remove Kontakt as an option,you cut out some nice libraries and lots of variety. Aside from that, I like Trilian the best, but it is more than twice your price point. What I find is that if you start with a nice library and route it through a nice virtual amp, you can get almost any sound.
+1. I keep seeing really nice libraries I just can't use, cheap and free. It seems that the cost of Kontakt may be worthwhile in the long run. I may have to save up for it.
Yeah, I keep coming back to that same thought. At this point, it would be the 'only' application that I would consider that doesn't use plain serial number or simple software key. I still hold out hopes that I will find something that fits my ideals. :-)

Sugarbytes got my money with Guitarist (simple serial number). I currently have Z3ta+ v2 and SonicProjects OP-X II Pro -- both simple serial number. I plan to get Poise & DIVA (Both simple serial number). I know I'll find something....

Lyrical Distortion has several Bass instruments I plan to try...

Does anyone know if ManyBass has multiple velocity layers, round-robin, and multiple articulations?

--Sean

By the way, I would like you to seriously consider this picked bass:

http://www.sampleism.com/omt-audio-tool ... icked-bass

I have this one and it is a steal at $15!

--Sean

audiojunkie wrote: Yeah, I keep coming back to that same thought. At this point, it would be the 'only' application that I would consider that doesn't use plain serial number or simple software key. I still hold out hopes that I will find something that fits my ideals. :-)

Sugarbytes got my money with Guitarist (simple serial number). I currently have Z3ta+ v2 and SonicProjects OP-X II Pro -- both simple serial number. I plan to get Poise & DIVA (Both simple serial number). I know I'll find something....
Yeah actually NI reeled me in with the cheap Komplete Elements, and I use the Classic Bass from that the most, I am not so 'picky' (har har) so it generally works for me. Then i bought the Retro Machines and Studio Drummer packs. I still don't know if I can install on a second machine, but my laptop doesn't have so much disk space anyhow. Their registration seemed straightforward enough to me, can you tell me the downside? I was looking at the Scarbee basses myself and have a coupon, but I also want the simplest, most flexible registration system possible.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Return to “Instruments”