The Journey of Amun-Ra

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Amun-Ra, the sun god of the ancient Egyptians, journeys across the sky in his manjet-boat.

Ok, it was an excuse to have a go at some Eastern sounds and scales :)

The Journey of Amun-Ra

Thanks for listening, any comments much appreciated!

That was great.

Nice track. Starts off like '80s Tangerine Dream and the develops into a Middle-Eastern whirlfest. As well as the woodwind sounds there are some great synths on here.

Great work :)
Last edited by seismic1 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it :)

The reedy instrument was 'Zourna' by Safwan Matni, there are a couple of loops made with Tekky's ZeNeRyC Free, and some arps and bass done with ZebraCM. And some reverb from QuikQuak's Fusion Field, my prize from last month's contest :)

Love it. Some awesome sounds and a perfect mixout
the kraftwerk-ish sounds work very well as does the flute

PERFECT

I liked that a lot :)

this scores a 8) 8) from me

got better and better

only thing, i wanted to hear some perc with skins in the 2nd half. whatever, nice work!

Well inspired composition. Very evocative, a thick feel of mystery
Cool sounds and appropriate arrangements, I like the way you blend in synth sounds and real instruments emulations. Very good mix.

:tu:

Cheers

Wow, thanks for the positive responses! :) I think kcisANDderit's comment is a good one, some bolder drum sounds would probably have worked well. As for mixing 'real' and synth sounds, I listened to a lot of Hawkwind in my youth, and Ozric Tentacles rather later when I discovered them, so I guess they've been quite influential here.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

What a great piece of music! I love the whirling Dervish second half - you have that insanely fast percussion absolutely nailed, and those exotic scales sound so alien and familiar at the same time. Bravo sir :D

kryptonaut wrote:I listened to a lot of Hawkwind in my youth, and Ozric Tentacles rather later when I discovered them, so I guess they've been quite influential here.
Ah. An OT fan. Which is your favourite album? I think Waterfall Cities was the best thing they did. Some of the layering and progressions on there were just inspired.

Great intro sound, that develops really nicely, cool eastern vibe.

yes this sounds very good kryptonaut...funny, tis kind of music that fits with your nic.

mikusan wrote: those exotic scales sound so alien and familiar at the same time
It's strange, there were places where I felt that the flute sounded a bit flat, but if I raised it a semitone it was too sharp - I wonder if the scale I was trying for was not a 12-semitone one. Something to investigate further one day!
seismic1 wrote: Ah. An OT fan. Which is your favourite album? I think Waterfall Cities was the best thing they did. Some of the layering and progressions on there were just inspired.
I don't have Waterfall Cities - perhaps I should get a copy. I think my favourites are Erpland and Strangeitude, possibly because they are the first ones I bought. TBH I found after a while their albums seemed to be all rather similar, but perhaps I need to revisit some of their catalogue. I always enjoy it when an Ozrics track pops up on random shuffle :)
fateamenabletochange wrote: yes this sounds very good kryptonaut...funny, tis kind of music that fits with your nic
Thank you! I arrived at the name kryptonaut via a slightly convoluted path - I think literally it probably means something like 'secret sailor' which doesn't describe me at all! Perhaps a 'voyager through hidden things' though, which might tie in with my previous obsessions with astronomy, microscopy and macro photography :)

Cheers!

Return to “Music Cafe”