Swing Revisited.

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andy ...

As I'm slipping again into possible feature request mode.

Not sure where you are on this one. I was thinking about it and I couldn't easily think of a situation where I'd want more than a single swing amount ... unless I also wanted to use both straight time in one part and swing in another.

With that in mind, wouldn't a global swing with ability to activate each sequence, or not, on a sequence by sequence page do the job?

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Well when you think about swing, every second step is delayed at the swing tempo, and so if it was 32nds that were swinging 16ths, 8ths etc would never hit a swing beat. So a global amount for a specific tempo would be required.

But, as with pulse width, my master clock is 64ths and so swinging that clock is out of the question because it would not even be heard as a swing. So if we wanted swing 16ths each swinging 16th note would have to be able to move almost to the next one for a max swing. The way the clocks work in vortex = logistical nightmare. Swinging the base clocks would end in multiple swing times, as you stated is not desirable, swing needs to be global.

The only way it could be done is via the midi output, swinging notes at the end of all midi processing. It's at this stage that I will have to implement note length too. I did have swing in initially, but I sacrificed it for having ultra solid synced tempos which I feel is more essential at the moment, plus the inevitable multiple tempo swings.

Swing will be in there at some point, but it isn't a straight forward job. In ARP having a single clock makes it easy to do, but the Vortex code is so much more complicated...

For now, I just need to get the existing Vortex solid and released, then I will start on v1.1 etc.. :)

Thanks, Andy ...

I meant to post/ reply this in the Beta thread, but I messed up.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

NP, that one is fairly complicated anyway :)

I love swing, but weirdly whilst doing the presets Vortex has felt sometimes as though it is swinging.

Just saw this:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopi ... highlight=

Looks like fxp/fxb support was dropped from cubase!

Yeah, that's my problem with the presets. Thanks for your effort digging this up. I tried to post this link and start a new thread on the Cubase forum, but right now I am having browser weirdness on this PC. When I go to the new Cubase Forum with IE, the page only shows the main title links and no content.

Steinberg isn't known for changing their minds on design decisions.

FWIW, when I tried to recall a VSTPreset I'd saved on an earlier beta, Cubase loaded the entire old bank ... but even though you see the saved name when you browse for the preset in Cubase, when it loads it just goes to the first preset from the bank and the saved name does not appear in the drop down list.

There's got to be a work around. Otherwise this puts a major crimp in the usefulness of Vortex. I mean, I like your presets, but that's not really what I had in mind.

I'd run Vortex inside Chainer, but Chainer doesn't seem to pass the MIDI data.

Como

I was a cubase user from '90 Atari days until a few years ago, after the SX3 fiasco I just decided it wasn't worth giving them any more money, I spent more time dealing with issues than making music. After a particular crash I just spontaneously listed it on ebay and it sold straight away and so there was no turning back! I bought an MPC.

I did have a play with Cubase 4 last year, but it seemed to have gone backwards in some respects like the way you can't alter effect send levels without the effect send being switched on. Makes it instantly useless for dub, which is a technique I use a lot..

I miss it a lot though because I was so used to it and haven't really got very comfortable with another daw yet, although Reaper can almost be made into cubase with a few tweaks...

Unfortunately I don't have access to the preset system and so can't provide an alternative VST save/load as far as I'm aware. But dpon't forget that I will be making import/export for the sequencer section in the near future.

Astralp wrote:I was a cubase user from '90 Atari days until a few years ago ... But don't forget that I will be making import/export for the sequencer section in the near future.
I came aboard with an Ableton Crossgrade to SX3, so I didn't know what I was missing. I also flirted with Reaper for a while and routinely recommend it to people wanting to get started in digital audio. I was going to go to it exclusively when I started having issues with my UAD2 cards in Reaper and despite a lot of knowledgeable help from the community, never could resolve them. So I figured, 'who wrote VST?' and returned to Cubase.

I've now spent so much time delving into all the incredible things it can do, especially the deep midi, that I cannot imagine I'll ever change ... except if I get flush and can afford ProTools just for mixing. I do envy the multiple fader grouping you can accomplish in ProTools. I don't even bitch about the lack of easy sidechain routing, as I now have a couple of quadro group channels in my templates to effortlessly accomplish that.

FWIF, there seems to be a general consensus on the Cubase board from old timers that 6 is the most stable/ reliable version ever. And I am forever grateful for the Cubase engineers who in their spare time wrote the x64 drivers for the old Steinberg MIDEX midi patch bays, which coupled with Cubase's Linear Time Base buffer technology, make for the most rock solid midi timing available in any DAW. Maybe Logic is as deep in MIDI functionality, but as a PC guy, I'll probably never know.

And, yes, I haven't forgotten that you said saving/ loading individual sequencer pages is on the road map. I'll make them, fire up another host and create a bank and import the bank into Cubase.

Como

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”