Best Piano VST ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm writing a solo piano album and I'm looking for a quality piano plugin. I know there's a few on the market. Ivory, Garritan Steinway, Pianoteq etc. But EastWests Quantum Leap Pianos seems to be the one everyones talking about. I know it's all down to personal choice, but could anyone share their experiances with any of the above VSTs?

Thanks.

If I were going to record a solo piano album, I wouldn't trust any plugin. I would record on a real piano in a serious studio.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

JJBiener wrote:If I were going to record a solo piano album, I wouldn't trust any plugin. I would record on a real piano in a serious studio.

+1

JJBiener wrote:If I were going to record a solo piano album, I wouldn't trust any plugin. I would record on a real piano in a serious studio.
Why? Most quality sampled piano VSTis were recorded on a real piano in a serious studio, weren't they?

I have to say I agree too. As an engineer, I've done albums for artists both ways, and the mic'ed grand has a "singing" quality in quieter passages that the software versions can't touch.

Of course, a freshly tuned 9' grand, two vintage neumann km84's over the hammers and a u47 on the harp hitting api 512 mic preamps and a nice piano booth didn't hurt either! :roll:

Of course, if budget is an issue and you're trying to work at home, spend the money on a good weighted controller, and check out some virtual piano shootouts at places like Keyboard or Electronic Musician. They have them every few years, and they're very helpful in narrowing down your choices.

I have a Fatar/StudioLogic sl 990-xp, 88 notes with the full keystrike action, and it's made WORLDS of difference in the feel of even our lowest cost virtual pianos.

A good convolution reverb can also help you get a more performance/concert hall sound once you choose your piano. Many here love Altiverb, and I'm one of them. For a "you are there" vibe, there's lots cheaper, but few better!

And as for your original question, I love the Garritan Steinway for solo piano!

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

Hi,

I happened to check a net show called Pensados place, where Alicia Keys' engineer said that one of her albums didn't have acoustic piano recorded at all, but all played with Alicia Keys piano plugin. Reasoned that it was more difficult to get a good piano with correct type of strings and hammers and what not, to get the correct sound.

I record my piano parts with Pianoteq Pro exclusively. Topnotch results, and people always wonder how the hell do I get such good and emotional piano sound. :)

EvilDragon wrote:I record my piano parts with Pianoteq Pro exclusively. Topnotch results, and people always wonder how the hell do I get such good and emotional piano sound. :)
IMHO Pianoteq is THE piano reference..

Could anyone comment on EastWests QLP apart from other plugins ?

Too hungry on resources for non-impressive results you get.

Musicworld,

It would help if you mentioned what type of music you're doing (solo piano could be honky-tonk, John Cage or anything in between). Also, what is your idea of the perfect piano sound? (This would narrow the list down pretty quickly).

And since a new piano lib came up in a recent thread -- and I think this one sounds just lovely -- I'll throw the link out there:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

If you value playability, then Pianoteq

Because of the good reviews it gets here, I keep coming back to pianoteq every year or so .. And thinking that it still sounds mushy and fake. Of course this is probably someone else's definition of warm:) Most people like it or hate it.

One that I like is the old lady in the sampletekk collection. Nice sound while being relatively lite on the recources.

I use the east west pianos and i'm very happy with them! 4 different pianos with distinct sound!

The Vienna Imperial is probably the best on the marktet?!
It's Conker, the squirrel!

Notwithstanding JJBiener and EvilDragon's excellent advice, if you still want to go with a plug-in, I'd honestly go with Kontakt and the Piano in Blue library by CineSamples.

I've just bought it, it's brilliant, here's the specs:
http://cinesamples.com/products/piano-in-blue/

Return to “Instruments”