Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Como, can you see if the latest release solves the problems you were having, I think I found the reason why multiple instances were having issues, plus possible crashes to do with the graphics.

Oh and TJ, I think the above bug fix should also clear up the cantabile problems, I did verify some issues though not the ones you described, but it seems to be playing fine now. Also let me know if the maschine issues have improved ta!

Sorry, Blippy. I've completely removed it and reinstalled it a couple of times. My file structure is C:\VSTPlugins\32bit\HGSounds\Vortex

Just installed beta 20 but no change. Tested in FL, Studio One and Cantabile. Will try in Maschine and post back in a bit.
Astralp wrote:Well, I think from this version on, backward compatibility will be fine, I have no intentions to any internal changes.

What's Blipper?

I'll see if I can recreate it.

Did you completely remove the old version before using the installer?
musikmachine wrote:The message i get in Cantabile is some parameters could not be loaded (12 of 926) in an existing project. Deleted old instance and reloaded Vortex but it froze and had to force quit.

Opened Cantabile and loaded a fresh instance. this time it opened ok and started Blipper, triggered a few sequences so switched presets to test PCs and got an unrecoverable message then a blank OK box appeared and Cantabile crashed. :(
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Astralp wrote:I haven't been this excited about a project for a long while :)
And well you should be! It's a froggin' brilliant concept. I should know, I've flogged about every midi program going that runs on a PC.

The 4 sub-sequencer idea sounds great. For me, 99% of the time, 4 notes for a chord are all I need.

Anyway, as I think I mentioned to you, I've already got a jump on this issue by using the Chorder MIDI plugin from Cubase, building my own presets and then triggering Chorder from the Vortex input.

The idea that you can loop 4 bars or so of an entire arrangement, tweak each part till its perfect, and then print it to midi is astounding. I think Vortex the best music creation idea going.

Unlike autocomposition tools, you get to set up all the parts from the drop.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I was talking about the Vortex sample pack as opposed to the plugin, all the sounds/instruments are in that pack, that's what needs uninstalling/re-installing. The directory structure changed completely a few betas back and so without out there will be no sounds and possible instability.

Ahhh Blippy the preset name! haha I was searching for a VST Plugin called blipper :)
musikmachine wrote:Sorry, Blippy. I've completely removed it and reinstalled it a couple of times. My file structure is C:\VSTPlugins\32bit\HGSounds\Vortex

Just installed beta 20 but no change. Tested in FL, Studio One and Cantabile. Will try in Maschine and post back in a bit.
Astralp wrote:Well, I think from this version on, backward compatibility will be fine, I have no intentions to any internal changes.

What's Blipper?

musikmachine wrote:The message i get in Cantabile is some parameters could not be loaded (12 of 926) in an existing project. Deleted old instance and reloaded Vortex but it froze and had to force quit.

Opened Cantabile and loaded a fresh instance. this time it opened ok and started Blipper, triggered a few sequences so switched presets to test PCs and got an unrecoverable message then a blank OK box appeared and Cantabile crashed. :(

Thanks that's nice to hear :)

I could possibly add more sub sequencers, but it might start to tax the CPU using the internal sounds with all the additional polyphony. I think 4 is probably a good number :)

Chorder sounds interesting, don't think that was in SX3, well not that I remember.

I like the print it to midi idea, nicely put!
como baila wrote:
Astralp wrote:I haven't been this excited about a project for a long while :)
And well you should be! It's a froggin' brilliant concept. I should know, I've flogged about every midi program going that runs on a PC.

The 4 sub-sequencer idea sounds great. For me, 99% of the time, 4 notes for a chord are all I need.

Anyway, as I think I mentioned to you, I've already got a jump on this issue by using the Chorder MIDI plugin from Cubase, building my own presets and then triggering Chorder from the Vortex input.

The idea that you can loop 4 bars or so of an entire arrangement, tweak each part till its perfect, and then print it to midi is astounding. I think Vortex the best music creation idea going.

Unlike autocomposition tools, you get to set up all the parts from the drop.

Como

:lol:@Blipper

Oh so i need to reinstall the samples. I thought i had the latest installed, 1.0? I'll reinstall 'em anyway cause that would explain it and hopefully resolve it! :)

My 2c but i think a midi only version would be great. I think people who would just want to control external vsts and hardware would love it and you could add more in depth sequencing that wouldn't tax the cpu and be light on resources.
Astralp wrote:I was talking about the Vortex sample pack as opposed to the plugin, all the sounds/instruments are in that pack, that's what needs uninstalling/re-installing. The directory structure changed completely a few betas back and so without out there will be no sounds and possible instability.

Ahhh Blippy the preset name! haha I was searching for a VST Plugin called blipper :)
musikmachine wrote:Sorry, Blippy. I've completely removed it and reinstalled it a couple of times. My file structure is C:\VSTPlugins\32bit\HGSounds\Vortex

What's Blipper?

Yep, I should build a blipper vst!

Well I started again, in times of beta etc.. so re-download to be on the safe side :)

I hope so! From my end I think all the show stoppers are solved, I've spent hours playing with it whilst doing the presets without issues, and when any have come up I've worked on them. I'm sure there are still some of course, but appears to be stable enough here. Fingers crossed...
musikmachine wrote::lol:@Blipper

Oh so i need to reinstall the samples. I thought i had the latest installed, 1.0? I'll reinstall 'em anyway cause that would explain it and hopefully resolve it! :)

My 2c but i think a midi only version would be great. I think people who would just want to control external vsts and hardware would love it and you could add more in depth sequencing that wouldn't tax the cpu and be light on resources.
Astralp wrote:I was talking about the Vortex sample pack as opposed to the plugin, all the sounds/instruments are in that pack, that's what needs uninstalling/re-installing. The directory structure changed completely a few betas back and so without out there will be no sounds and possible instability.

What's Blipper?

I think just a midi version would be good also :). Two versions to choose from.

It is certainly coming along great. :)
Well all of the above is tied to the polyphony and how it's implemented. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards having 4 sub-sequences per Sequencer rather than an all out polyphonic display. The big big big plus with this, is that it fits into the existing system easily, but more importantly means that from a single menu per sequence, there will be different modes to decide how the different sequences will behave. For instance they could all play simultaneously, or in pairs, all be chained together to form an 128 step sequence, randomized, selectable via CC etc... I find that a lot more exciting than going down the actual polyphonic route, adds much more power and flexibility by simply adding a menu item and 4 buttons
I would be happy with that. I really can't think of anything else one could have without getting too complicated. :lol:

Time for a :dog:

Seems i'd uninstalled the samples. I loaded it in Maschine and browsed through some synth patches, think i was changing the msb to change to the drum bank and Maschine crashed. Also had this with Cantabile before i'd reinstalled the samples.

Had another crash in Cantabile, Had a four sequences latched with the internal voices playing back fine so inserted an instance of the Diva demo and whilst switching through the presets the grey OK boxappeared again and Canty crashed. The beta sprites are mischievous tonight. :hihi:

musikmachine,

Have you tried Vortex in another host? My experience with Cantabile has been frustrating at times. It is not good at loading presets/banks. And other unexplained issues. I've had better results from Reaper etc.

MarkSA wrote:musikmachine,

Have you tried Vortex in another host? My experience with Cantabile has been frustrating at times. It is not good at loading presets/banks. And other unexplained issues. I've had better results from Reaper etc.
Yeah FL, Studio One and Maschine. Also the Live 8 trial but that ran out. i've had similar issues throughout, pretty frustrating. Starting to think it's something on my end but it's the same on two different machines with different hardware. :?

with the last 2 beta's so far I havent gotten them to load in live. Just keeps saying 'this vst cannot be opened'. It will open in studio1-2 though. Seems if its not one host with me its the other :(

It does looks similar to that bug with arp a few months ago though, where you can double click on it and it will create a midi track, but it will be empty, and if you try to drag n drop it onto a track then you get the popup

-Edit
Scratch that, i think this one is a live issue. I had seen it before with some SE based plugins before where for some reason live gets really picky about how many directory levels you have. Once I moved the vortex install up a dir then it works fine. Just threw me off cause of the installer creating HGSounds/Homegrown Sounds/Vortex/ setup, that one extra level screwed it all up

Well I can't rule out machine specific problems yet, but it still could be 'real' issues that I haven't seen. The Maschine crash is a possibility, I thought I'd tightened the sample loading code pretty well, but it sounds like trying to play a sample when one isn't loaded, I'll double check the code again. If you can reproduce these crashes and describe the steps to do it, I may have more chance investigating.

The cantabile one is strange, presumably Diva was after Vortex. Again if you can let me know step by step how to reproduce it, that would be helpful :) I don't ask for much do I....

Mark, glad the problem is resolved.

On the midi only front, certainly not for a while, I want to keep it focused as a single project until the majority is developed. I am planning a button to instantly switch all the internal stuff off with a single click, and you can do turn off all the internal synth by turning one off and then CTRL clicking it which will switch all off. They don't use any CPU when not used, so a midi only is only a click away :)

Oh right! I didn't know that, I'll change the installer in that case, though it will require an uninstall/reinstall unfortunately but better in the beta phase than later on. Thanks for the info Evan!

I'll get some more Ammonite betas over to you in a short while..
ezelkow1 wrote:with the last 2 beta's so far I havent gotten them to load in live. Just keeps saying 'this vst cannot be opened'. It will open in studio1-2 though. Seems if its not one host with me its the other :(

It does looks similar to that bug with arp a few months ago though, where you can double click on it and it will create a midi track, but it will be empty, and if you try to drag n drop it onto a track then you get the popup

-Edit
Scratch that, i think this one is a live issue. I had seen it before with some SE based plugins before where for some reason live gets really picky about how many directory levels you have. Once I moved the vortex install up a dir then it works fine. Just threw me off cause of the installer creating HGSounds/Homegrown Sounds/Vortex/ setup, that one extra level screwed it all up

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”