Cubase 5: Can unslice audio after slicing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope this is just a quick question... I read the relevant parts of the sample editor chapter of the manual, but didn't find the answer.

1. Open the sample editor on some audio (say, a drum loop).

2. Set hitpoints.

3. Slice & close.

Sometime later, maybe I want to use the audio clip but without the slices. As far as I can see, once you slice&close, that clip in the pool is forever sliced, no way back. The only workaround I've found is to bounce the clip to disk, making another (redundant) copy of the audio on disk. (The "New version" menu option copies the clip, slices and all, which is not what I want.)

I hope I'm just missing something obvious... in general, I'd assume that most operations should be reversible <pointless_editorializing> but then again, this is Steinberg... :roll: </pointless_editorializing>

Thanks.

And because this is Steinberg ..."Since all edits are avaliable as separate files it is possible to undo any processing, at any point and in any order. This is done in the Offline Process History dialog".

Just drag the original in from the pool onto a new track.

Thanks for the advice. I think there might be some confusion about the feature I'm asking about. "Slice & close" partitions an audio clip into slices, which can be quantized and rearranged without real-time time stretching.

If you drag a normal clip (without slicing) into an audio track, an audio event is created -- consisting of one continuous segment of audio. Then, double-clicking on the audio event opens the sample editor.

After a clip has been sliced, dragging it into an audio track creates an audio part. Double clicking on that opens the audio part editor, where you can rearrange the slices by hand. -- So bluelife's suggestion would not work.

Standalone's idea also doesn't quite apply. "Offline process" (AFAIK) means Audio > Process or Audio > Plug-ins. Slicing an audio clip is not that, so it does not appear in the offline process history dialog and it can't be deactivated or undone that way.

hjh

dewdrop_world wrote:After a clip has been sliced, dragging it into an audio track creates an audio part. Double clicking on that opens the audio part editor, where you can rearrange the slices by hand. -- So bluelife's suggestion would not work.
Why not? Have you tried searching for the original clip in the pool?

As you always duplicate your audio in the project maybe you think that the original clip is is there because you made a copy, but it would be there even if you didn't duplicate it before slicing it.

According to the documentation (and I see the same thing in the interface), after slicing the clip, the non-sliced clip is no longer available in the pool.
• The audio event is replaced by an audio part, containing the slices (double-click the part to view the slices in the Audio Part Editor). If you edited a clip from the Pool, you need to drag it to an audio track to get a part with the slices.

When you create slices, all events containing the edited clip will also be replaced.
"All events" -- this is different from off-line processing asking if you want to "continue" or create a "new version." This tells me that the clip object itself is modified to be sliced, and all references to the clip are then automatically sliced. The original, unsliced clip (as far as I can see) is gone.

• In the Pool, the sliced clip is shown with a different icon. Dragging the sliced clip from the Pool to an audio track will create an audio part with the slices adapted to the project tempo, just as above.
I was testing this in a project with only one clip. There was no trace of the original after slicing.

I'd be happy to be shown where I'm missing something.

hjh

you can dissolve the part, return it to its events.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”