Diva

what a crazy-ass joke
insane

aMUSEd wrote:No substitute for a Real Hamster:

http://www.realhamster.com/
OMG :shock:

aMUSEd wrote:
nBeat wrote:
GruvSyco wrote:You should build it into a "real doll" and a keg and espresso maker. You could bill it as the most fun you could have with a synth.
I did a search on "real doll". :lol: :lol:
No substitute for a Real Hamster:

http://www.realhamster.com/
if I said that link is full of awesomesauce, would that be wrong?

(for the record I don't really use that term)

delete-me
Last edited by phazedown on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks Phaze!

Multicore looks promising, but it's still a hell of a lot of work, and we don't know yet if it really pans out. Our internal (working) multicore version just so gets twice the number of voices out of 8 cores.

We're looking into many possibilities to gain speed though. There's a tiny chance for an algorithm that sounds almost divine, at a fraction of the cost. This needs to be investigated. And of course there's GPUs, AVX and what not, which as of yet is rather experimental or hypothetical as a viable solution.

First, i want to say how much I love Diva. She sounds fantastic.

I'm eagerly waiting for multicore-support thought, as she sometimes put my super fast computer on its knees in Divine Mode. I'm really looking forward that "almost Divine" mode too.

Urs, I have a question about the several accuracy modes : IIRC, oversampling occurs when using higher accuracy, right ? If so, is that oversampling dependent on the host sample rate ? Or do Divine mode sounds the same whether the host sample rate is in 44,1kHz or 96kHz ?
I'm used to worked in 24/96, but if Diva in Divine mode sounds the same at lower sample rates then I may switch to 48kHz or so to gain some CPU resources.

Thanks !

PS : I'm not in the studio so I can't test it myself yet.

Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Q: Will Tone2 Saurus have those fancy 0-delay filters?

pdxindy wrote:Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Haha yeah! I chuckled a bit at it :)
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Haha yeah! I chuckled a bit at it :)
me too... Diva is shaping the discussion :)

No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

Diva however has 0-delay-feedback-filters.

Urs wrote:No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

:lol:

delete-me
Last edited by phazedown on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I suppose that it has to be expected that one day some developer will come along claiming that 0-delay-feedback-filters were doable with "low cpu" with any whatever "different" method, but still preserve analogue-style non-linear elements, self oscillation and oversampling. But alas, there's no way around heavy maths that comes at a high cost. See UAD Moog filter for reference - biggest cpu hog on my UAD2.

I'm considering as follows: We would publish a formula of a popular open source filter in zero-delay-feedback form and unoptimised but working code. We will also post our heavily optimised implementation as closed binary in a plugin, along with a test scenario. We will then challenge any developer to implement the same formula within a set margin of accuracy and means (SSE etc.) in a significantly faster way. If they manage to make it use less than a third of cpu on the same data, then I'll start believing in methods for low cpu versions.

phazedown wrote:Alright, good to hear stuff is in development :P

So can anyone guess how much I would benefit from upgrading 4GB DDR3 RAM to 8GB DDR3 RAM and replacing 32bit Ableton Live with a 64bit DAW?

(in case that info is needed: µTonic drums + subtle delays require 15% cpu load, Win7 64bit, i5 430-M (only one core used yet), 7200rpm HDD, network disabled etc. and I use the Allen&Heath Xone:DX controller via USB as my soundcard)

CPU load: almost the same / -10% / -20% / -30% / -40% / -50% / -60% ?
Just would like to know if it's worth a try, the upgrade itself would be cheap.
My guess would be <20% but I actually have no idea ..
The RAM has no effect on Diva, I'm afraid :oops:

Dunno about 64 bit... twice the registers, but more memory consumption... hard to say...

Urs wrote:No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

And there we have it :D

I must say out of the 4 filters, so far my favourite has been the Multimode filter, can really get some lovely thick solid tone out of that thing.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Return to “u-he”