February Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

D.H. Miltz wrote:
rachmiel wrote:
D.H. Miltz wrote:Next month's theme: Hypnotic.
cool. you're coming up with fun/challenging themes. :-)
Credit for this one, if it goes well, goes to Laguna Rising; of course, blame, if it doesn't go well, should be mine.
:lol:
In the voting thread, Emerald Tablet wrote:lagunarising_freakytunehappiness - Sounds like i did too much drugs and still enjoyed church :-)
:lol:
:tu:
pljones wrote:LagunaRising: Not keen on tune or instrumentation; didn't "get" happy.
:shrug:
:)

Cheers

Quick note: SoundCloud warned I was reaching my limit on downloads, so I've hurriedly shuffled things around. It appears to have worked... (I have one with 92 downloads and another with just one (me testing)).

Bouncy Castle - Yay! - that's what tiggers do best. :hyper: :)

pljones wrote:
Emerald Tablet wrote:To me the one who really understands happy is more than frivolous stuff is robojam.
The "problem" (in the context of the compo) with this, for me (!! :)), was that I felt I could have been standing high on a hill overlooking the complete destruction of civilization, tears streaming down my face, and this would still have fit. So I had to question whether it really had happiness inside...
Funny though how perfectly Loius Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" would fit that scenario... arguably the happiest song ever written! :)
(there was some war movie that did that, but I can't remember which one...)

farlukar wrote:
pljones wrote:Hopefully there will be a mad rush at the end.
Hey, I'm working on it!

Just not very hard.
I've been practicing on a cover, but I didn't get around to recording it. Sorries.

Hi guys, just having a pleasant listening of the tracks right now to make my votes in a couple of days.

Other than that, i didn't read this whole thread yet, so any news about which will be the next theme?

Have a good day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:Other than that, i didn't read this whole thread yet, so any news about which will be the next theme?
:wheee:

:wheee:
Wow, nice theme!
Thanks for the heads up.

Have a good day :)

pljones wrote:I felt I could have been standing high on a hill overlooking the complete destruction of civilization, tears streaming down my face, and this would still have fit. So I had to question whether it really had happiness inside...
I certainly hope mine would have fit...

I just spotted this:
gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:drums sampled from an old Stevie Wonder record (one-shots only, hoping that's kosher)
It's not. But I don't know what to do about it this far into things. DQ?

On the one hand, I probably should have seen it sooner (if I had I could have asked for a resubmission); on the other, folks should know better, not just for the contest but for the whole site.

I have to think about this.
No longer a moderator.

Stevie Wonder's early records date back about 50 years, and recording copyrights last about 50 years... seems alright to me. :)

evo2slo wrote:recording copyrights last about 50 years...
Wikipedia wrote:The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in the United States by 20 years. Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.[1] Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.
That I think this is a lousy law is, I'm sorry to say, not relevant.

As far as I can tell, even one-shots, if uncleared, are illegal. Which means using them is in violation of KVR policy. Which means the entry shouldn't be on the site, hence not in the contest.

I'm not seeing a way around it. If someone can show me I'm wrong on the law I'll happily leave the entry in.
No longer a moderator.

I guess the question is whether the CTEA applies to both compositional copyright as well as sound recording copyright, or just the former. The use of the word 'authorship' seems to imply compositional. I know in Europe they voted in September to extend sound recording copyright from 50 to 70 years, but that doesn't become law until 2014.
Not much info on Wikipedia concerning sound recording copyrights specifically.
Very confusing. :?

Wikipedia wrote:Before 1972, sound recordings were not subject to federal copyright, but copying was nonetheless regulated under various state torts and statutes, some of which had no duration limit. The Sound Recording Amendment of 1971 extended federal copyright to recordings fixed on or after February 15, 1972 (the effective date of the act), and declared that recordings fixed before that date would remain subject to state or common law copyright. The Copyright Act of 1976 maintained this until February 15, 2047, which was subsequently extended by the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act to the same date in 2067.[35] As a result, no sound recording can reliably be considered in the public domain in the United States before that date, even if the recording was in existence before 1923 and even if it originated in another country where it has entered the public domain.[36]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... _copyright
No longer a moderator.

no kidding? one has to clear oneshots? thats what the law says?
Oh how happy i am that i recleamed dominion. :D

Return to “Music Cafe”