Tone2 Saurus Teaser - Competition - KVR Giveaway

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

If Saurus keep it's promise of 0-delay analogue filters modelling, audio-rate modulation and oversampling with a low CPU impact and no aliasing, then is the "other" synth badly optimise or there is something more here?

xx JPRacer xx wrote:If Saurus keep it's promise of 0-delay analogue filters modelling, audio-rate modulation and oversampling with a low CPU impact and no aliasing, then is the "other" synth badly optimise or there is something more here?
Urs wrote:No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

Diva however has 0-delay-feedback-filters.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Looking forward to this. One can never own too many synths, and Tone2 tends to think things through pretty spot on while making it fun.
"music is the best"

Late to the party, as always, but here I am.

Be interested to hear some audio ;)
"Micro Kid speaks digi-talk.."

Markus from Tone2.com wrote:
Q: Does it need much CPU?

A: No. Unlike gladiator :)
my most cpu heavy synth and yet the one i love the most :)

Q: When will you release audio demos?

A: We are currently working on sound design. Audio demos will be availabe once we finsihed it.

Q: Are the anlog modeled filters of Saurus available in any other software synthesizer?

A: No, since we use a new and completely different approach than competing companies (like U-he) did. Our filters need low CPU, support self-osc, asymetric non-linearity (a k2 characteristic which is similar to the MS-20 filter) and have a very high precision.

Q: Does it need much CPU?

A: No. On our I7 test system we were able to run 40 instances with different patches at the same time without getting audio dropouts. Since we know that good performance is important for our cutomers we have taken a lot of effort in keeping the CPU as los possible without loosing sound quality.

Markus from Tone2.com wrote:Q: Are the anlog modeled filters of Saurus available in any other software synthesizer?

A: No, since we use a new and completely different approach than competing companies (like U-he) did. Our filters need low CPU, support self-osc, asymetric non-linearity (a k2 characteristic which is similar to the MS-20 filter) and have a very high precision.
I smell snake-oil. :)

There are so many ways of implementing filters (at least as I understand it through my layman read of wikipedia and such) that I'm quite sure it's not just snake-oil.. but who knows.

If history is anything to go by then the filters in Saurus will most likely be sublime! The filters in Gladiator and Electra-X are absolutely superb and completely unique in their behavior and sound!

I realize that I'm starting to sound like a Tone2 fanboy but respect has to be given where respect has been earned. Markus knows how to code a good filter. He also knows how to destroy a sweet sounding thing with way over-the-top "psychoacoustic blah blah blah" processing. :hihi:

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Interesting to see which approach sounds better in the end! Whoa, I like this competition thing, pushes things forward
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

To me ElectraX and Gladiator2 are some of the most exciting synths out there, and I am very curious to see if the Saurus will deliver what it promises.

I have to mention that because there are so many analog copycats out there, this product is not as exciting as these previous Tone2 synths.
The thing I liked about ElectraX and Gladiator most is that they are not just basic VA's, but they have tons of crazy new "digital" stuff to learn. Both are very unique products IMO.
It remains to be seen if I can get the same feeling playing with the Saurus.

filter303 wrote: To me ElectraX and Gladiator2 are some of the most exciting synths out there.
Both are very unique products IMO.
+1

fidox wrote:
filter303 wrote: To me ElectraX and Gladiator2 are some of the most exciting synths out there.
Both are very unique products IMO.
+1
+2
"It dreamed itself along"

bmanic wrote:There are so many ways of implementing filters (at least as I understand it through my layman read of wikipedia and such) that I'm quite sure it's not just snake-oil.. but who knows.
They mention "0-delay" filters, but that's completely different from "0-feedback-delay" filters that Diva sports. Also, if there were any simpler and less CPU demanding methods of doing such component modelled filters as in Diva, don't you think u-he would use those instead of what they used to achieve it?

Gladiator and Electrix are of course nice products.
Anyway, I don't think this are some of the most exciting products this days (I see more U-He with Diva, Zebra etc. there)... but if they have a good new product on the table and we have something real to test, they are welcome ;)
Last edited by 4damind on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”