Mixing in Studio One

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I did a little video series for newbies last night, Mixing in Studio One. It's 8 vids that run (I think) a little less than an hour. Again, it's mostly for newbies and one thing you'll see is that I use very, very little EQ and compression.

What I'm trying to do in the rough mix here is to let the song speak as it was recorded, and try not to put any "artistic stamp" on it at all, just get a decent basic rough mix going in about an hour or so.

I may get back to this later on with some more advanced mixing techniques like attacking frequency masking with EQ, maybe a bit more compression, some track doubling and those kind of things that happen after the rough mix. On a track like this I'd probably spend 3-4 hours total, writing automation, EQ'ing tracks and FX, whatever.

Hope this is helpful to some newbies. Most others won't see anything particularly useful there. Here's a link to the rough mix...

Come Around Rough Mix

Nice. Thanks, Lawrence.

Always interesting to see how others approach mixing and/or work with a DAW. Despite the basic level, I still picked up a couple of tips. :)

Thanks Lawrence
Some useful tips there.
:)

Tagged for later. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

nice tutorial.

Thanks,

dw

Thanks, nice one.

I found some useful tips on these videos myself, will watch a couple times to make sure I didn't miss anything, Thankx a heap LawrenceF. :)

Great stuff there .... :) :)
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I tweaked up the mix a bit but the vids were so long I'm actually not going to bother editing and uploading them... too much hassle, editing, talking, and uploading two hours of video.

Final Mix

Here's where I got that project from. There's lots of stuff there to practice on. This song is listed there under pop/rock from a band called Leaf.

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#JamesMay

Good mix Lawrence, dramatic improvement on the original.
No, that wasn't me.

Hey there Lawrence - the last time we talked SO2 had just been released and if you recall, I was nitpicking at a few things (as compared to R). :roll: Well thanks to the 50% off Valentine's Day special, I'm a bonifide member of the club now. sweet! :D

You were right though....the more I played with it, the more it did grow on me and I'm really digging it now; it kind of reminds me of Live actually, which I fell in love with years ago.

Anyway, just finished watching your video series and it was very helpful and being that I'm still familiarizing myself with it, I learned more than a few tricks/tips from you that I'll definitely put into use. So thanks so much for taking the time out to do that and sharing it with everyone....it's very much appreciated! Kudos!

The " R " word ain' t getting much love after Valentine's Day here either . :hihi:

woodie wrote: :roll: Well thanks to the 50% off Valentine's Day special, I'm a bonifide member of the club now. sweet! :D
Seems like this sale has caused a lot of heart ache's at cakewalk as this thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2497811 is locked and the law laid down from on high not to discuss Studio One 2 on their Forum http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2497537.Any one else notice this.:?:

I'm not getting as much from sonar as I get out of S1 2 these days. I think I'll pass on Sonar X2 as I'm quite at home with this new puppy of a DAW. :wink:
Last edited by CTStump on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is it me or is the lead riff in the bridge a bit out of tune LawrenceF? It was a little unsettling, I thought it would have been a great opportunity to show off Melodyne but maybe it was just me. :?

CTStump wrote:Is it me or is the lead riff in the bridge a bit out of tune LawrenceF? It was a little unsettling, I thought it would have been a great opportunity to show off Melodyne but maybe it was just me. :?
Maybe. I actually didn't pay that much attention to it, just trying to get through it. :) In all honesty I'm not much of a "music producer" so unless something is just really obviously out of tune I'll just mix what's there.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”