I Need a Synth (or synth sound) that is sweet, gentle, and warm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes, I know, I created a pretty similar topic in this same forum fairly recently, but this is different, I promise.
I am looking for either a synthesizer that can create gentle, sweet, warm sounds, or looking for someone who has ideas on how to program a sound that is sweet, gentle, and warm.

I would prefer a FREE synth, but if I can't get that, it needs to be less than $45, actually preferably much less than that. I don't get another paycheck for a month, so the more money I can save, the better.

[linked remove because I took the song down]

Here is the melody I am looking at, it plays twice, once in context with the rest of the music (so you can get idea of a sound that will blend well) and then once by itself so you know exactly what is going on.

EDIT:
I should make this clear that I am not looking to recreate the sound played in the demo, but an alternative to that sound that is warm, gentle and sweet.
EDIT2:
I've updated the original demo to a new demo of my track with the sound I am working with now. Don't let that deter you from leaving a response, I am still not 100% happy with this sound.
Last edited by ntom on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tyrell? It is really warm sounding to me but bright at the same time, and free.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

braj wrote:Tyrell? It is really warm sounding to me but bright at the same time, and free.
I was thinking Tyrell might work, but I was a little too lazy because it's acting strange. It won't load the GUI and gives me a funny warning. I'll just reinstall it, I suppose.

I approximated that sound pretty quickly, more skill than I have and I'm sure it could be done. I have been picking Tyrell first when looking for synth sounds lately, it is just wonderful.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Essentially, this sounds to me like a couple triangle wave oscillators detuned very slightly, Amp envelope attack is somewhere around 20% and release somewhere around 60 or so percent, apply delay, and reverb... notes played in 6th or 7th register.
Last edited by VitaminD on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

VitaminD wrote:Essentially, this sounds to me like a couple triangle wave oscillators detuned very slightly, Amp envelope attack is somewhere around 20%, apply delay, and reverb... notes played in 6th or 7th register.
Well you're good at knowing the sound that I picked for the song, thank you, but I am looking for alternatives to that sound. By the way, if you want that sound yourself it's a preset in "Rez 2.0" called "Shiny"

ntom wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Essentially, this sounds to me like a couple triangle wave oscillators detuned very slightly, Amp envelope attack is somewhere around 20%, apply delay, and reverb... notes played in 6th or 7th register.
Well you're good at knowing the sound that I picked for the song, thank you, but I am looking for alternatives to that sound. By the way, if you want that sound yourself it's a preset in "Rez 2.0" called "Shiny"
I'm a little confused then.. if you have not only the synth that can create your sound, but the preset too.. what more do you need? :hihi: That synth should do the trick and many similar tricks.

I recreated the sound in Zebra and then tested it again in FAW Circle to confirm it sounded similarish before posting... I think just about any synth with multiple, detune-able oscillators and an effects bank can make those similar sounds.

I'm not sure you can go wrong here..

but hmm maybe Arguru Voyager (free) would be one.. SQ8L is also good in general for similarish leads..

VitaminD wrote:
ntom wrote:
I'm a little confused then.. if you have not only the synth that can create your sound, but the preset too.. what more do you need? :hihi: That synth should do the trick and many similar tricks.

I recreated the sound in Zebra and then tested it again in FAW Circle to confirm it sounded similarish before posting... I think just about any synth with multiple, detune-able oscillators and an effects bank can make those similar sounds.

I'm not sure you can go wrong here..

but hmm maybe Arguru Voyager (free) would be one.. SQ8L is also good in general for similarish leads..
I believe the confusion is coming from a miscommunication here. I am looking for some sort of sound that has a warm, gentle, and sweet sound to it. The sound in the demo is pretty much a placeholder. I'm not trying to recreate that sound, obviously that would be kind of silly.

Buy a copy of CM magazine.
Use ZebraCM.
Load my ZebraCM presets in it.
Those types of sounds are there.
Especially the bellish thing.
Zebra also can do those sounds, but that's more than you can pay for.

mcnoone wrote:Buy a copy of CM magazine.
Use ZebraCM.
Load my ZebraCM presets in it.
Those types of sounds are there.
Especially the bellish thing.
Zebra also can do those sounds, but that's more than you can pay for.
It's funny the two synths recommended are U-He synths.

Isn't ZebraCM Mac only?

maybe a synth isn't what I need...made I just need a guitar playing the chords in some rhythm and just trash that melody all together...I don't know, but I am not having any luck on finding a good sound that goes with this music.

Go download Reaktor Player, and then download Micro Prism.

Both 100% free, and I'm positive you'll find the sound you're looking for.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... -5-player/

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... kro-prism/

Also get the factory selection. Also free. Carbon might be able to accomplish what you're looking for as well.
Disco flangus shenanigans

ntom wrote:maybe a synth isn't what I need...made I just need a guitar playing the chords in some rhythm and just trash that melody all together...I don't know, but I am not having any luck on finding a good sound that goes with this music.
try zynaddsubfx, 16 part multitimbral, and a good variety of sounds in the
database here. Sometimes layering two or three sounds will be an inspiration.

Augur is also one you might like, get the extra Nolwenn sounds for it.

http://www.vstcafe.com/2009/05/smart-el ... augur.html

http://ann.sounds.free.fr/
Cheers

ntom wrote:Isn't ZebraCM Mac only?
Unless something changed fairly recently, no.
No longer a moderator.

Omnisphere can do such sounds. It all really comes down to the composer at the other end. I'm struggling myself with getting mellow gentle tones sometimes, but it is worth the time it takes to get the sound right because when it's right then I save a preset that I reuse when needed. Omni costs a tad bit, but it is worth it's weight in gold!
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Return to “Instruments”