Displaying RMV MIDI data

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have exported the RMV MIDI data to Sonar X1, and it plays back as expected. However, in some clips, I wish to modify the events so that I can vary the otherwise repeating pattern. However, when I display the MIDI data in the Sonar event list, there is no "data" value displayed. I would expect to see the note number that matches the respective module in RMV, but instead, only three dashes are displayed for the note value. This only happens with RMV tracks; other tracks consisting of MIDI events display the note values correctly.

Any ideas?

thanks

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

Not sure if I get the problem, when you drag/drop the MIDI FROM RMV to X1 you should end up with a standard MIDI track with Notes in X1. These notes are of course intended to be modified, I would not know of any reason why Sonar should not allow this ...

I can drig the MIDI data into the X1 track, and it plays back fine. However, when I edit the events, where the note values are ordinarily displayed, "---" is displayed instead. I can edit the MIDI events, but since the value is not displayed, I cannot edit them knowing what the initial value was.

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

Well, this sounds like a problem with Sonar, no ? Maybe asking the Sonar support, because when it plays back fine there definitely is a correct MIDI event that should be editable.

Peter:

I have submitted this issue to Cakewalk Technical Support. I shall report back on their reply.

thanks

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

I have reported this issue to Cakewalk twice in the last 5 weeks. I have received no reply. I'll keep you posted.
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

Cakewalk replied, requesting that I send the the MIDI clip by creating a project and copying the clip to the new project, and then saving the project as a MIDI file. I did this and have just sent Cakewalk this file for analysis.

However, when I copied the MIDI clip to the new project, the MIDI note values were displayed correctly in the event and piano roll views in new project. This project contained a MIDI track only; no RMV synthesizer.

I then noticed in the original project, in which both the MIDI track and RMV exists (and from which I copied the MIDI clip), that the note values were not displayed for most note events (instead --- was displayed), but that for some note values, the name of one of the RMV pads was displayed. I am wondering whether this has something to do with Sonar drum maps, even though I have never created or used a drum map.

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

Keith,
generally the host/daw can request some information about notes from RMV (or other plugins) about a "Name" for a note, which here seems to happen. If RMV then says its a "Kick" the host can display "Kick" in its piano roll so creating betas is much easier as you know what note is what pad. However, this should not affect the ability to edit notes in the host. "---" is then from an unnamed or unknown pad.

Peter:

From your comments here, and from information from Cakewalk Technical Support, it appears that when the output of the MIDI track is directed to RMV, the RMV pad values are displayed in the Sonar piano roll and event displays. The problem is, I am not using the pads; I am using the loop players in the project. The pad names and assignments do not map to the loop slices. Since the pads are not assigned, Sonar reads a value of "---" for each one.

Given the above, is there any way that the pad slice values (note values) can be displayed in the Sonar views? Do I have to map the pads to loop slices within RMV? Is there any way that that can be done?

thanks

Keith
Keith
Glendale, AZ USA

I see the problem now, which is on the RMV side. Technically spoken, we just should not send the "no name available" (which is the "- - -" you see) for the slicers, of course. I will see that we get this into the next update (which is not yet scheduled). However, there should be an option on Sonar to either display the "Names" or just the Note numbers which would allow you to address the slices as you wish. I'm sorry, I hardly work with Sonar, so I cant tell you how, but I would be very astonished if thats not possible to switch.
There is no mapping pads to slices, because in fact the slices are basically the same as the pads, just on a different channel (and not having names).

Return to “LinPlug”