Canopy

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems I only ever allow myself the time to write music anymore if I can consider it a "job." So, unsurprisingly, here's a track I put together in late December as a demo for Perimeter Sound's World Tek vol. 2 loop collection. I didn't want to post it here at the time I wrote it, because I wanted to further tweak the mix and apply extra processing. (The original needed to be raw, to remain accurate to the source material.) It took me two months to find the time to do so, but I'm very glad I revisited this one. I'm so much happier with the mix now.

Canopy

The track was put together in Studio One. Extra processing used:
- SSL Drumstrip
- SSL X-Verb
- SSL Bus Compressor
- PSP Vintage Warmer 2
- Prosoniq Dynasone
- Izotope RX2

It's kind of quirky, which makes it awesome. I like the tribal drums and general "off-kilter" kind of vibe.

cool ugo. Seems to have a great deal of width and spatial separation of different elements.....M/S processing with something ??

This has a nice rich sound with a strong ethnic content. The mix sounds great and is best listened to on monitors at a decent volume IMHO. Nice tune, and it certainly has the ugo factor :)

Definitely a quirky/cool track with that Ugo influenced sound as said above. :) I'm not sure what the mixing majick was exactly, but I'm pretty sure Izotope RX2 is his newest tool. I actually had to ask for a less-mixed version for the World Tek 2 demo, as it's not really fair to sweeten things up that much for a product demo. :hihi:

Thanks guys, I'm glad to hear you like the track. :)

No special spacial enhancement was applied. I had experimented with wideners early in the mixing but decided against it. The track uses 50 loops so there is a lot of layering going on, and the width is thanks to a combination of simply setting a place for each loop within the stereo field, and any stereo field work that Perimeter built into the loops themselves.

Most of the percussion layers were sent to an FX channel with SSL Drumstrip on it. One or two tracks used SSL Bus Compressor as an insert. More melodic parts used a combination of SSL X-Verb for inserts plus PSP Vintage Warmer 2 as an FX channel. On the master I had Vintage Warmer 2 again, along with a touch of high end enhancement from Prosoniq Dynasone.

Izotope RX2 was used only to clean up clicks that were created when I sloppily chopped up and reversed some loops.

That's it...no other effects were applied and I didn't even do any extra EQing. Earlier attempts at the mix had a bunch of stuff on it and extra EQ to help tame some frequency ranges, but when I went back to redo the mix I found that none of that was needed if I put more attention into improving the basic mix and applied the right processing to each individual track (instead of throwing too much on the final mix, like I usually do...because I tend to be lazy).

thanks for the detail here. well, anyway, good job. yes, it might be I am hearing close individual attention to each track..1dB up here, 1 dB down there can make a big difference....but I also wonder about that SSL stuff.

The SSL stuff is quite nice so far. With Drumstrip, I only used the Transient Shaper. The Bus Compressor was only used for a bit of basic compression on a few tracks. X-Verb was used for a simple reverb with no modulation or stereo field tweaking.

This is a delightful piece of music!
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

I enjoyed this. Thanks, ugo.
No longer a moderator.

Excellent production. This very nice composition certainly deserved that.
I like these fine melodies and the driving tribal groove

Cheers

Thanks, everyone! :)

This is lovely Chris :) Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

As others have said, quirky and cool. Quite enjoyed it!
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Return to “Music Cafe”