What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
User avatar
KVRAF
 
3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 am

breakmixer wrote: I'm still to buy the Electronic Bass pack. :)

For what it's worth I prefer Alchemy to Trilian for synth bass atm...


The Electronic Bass pack is well worth getting.
Himalaya Vintage is the one I really want to get next.
KVRAF
 
4156 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:55 am

Resonator63 wrote:
breakmixer wrote: I'm still to buy the Electronic Bass pack. :)

For what it's worth I prefer Alchemy to Trilian for synth bass atm...


The Electronic Bass pack is well worth getting.
Himalaya Vintage is the one I really want to get next.


It's so good 'Vintage' I want a 'Vol II'...

Cheers for the heads up... :)
User avatar
KVRAF
 
1914 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 am

themachinelt wrote:alchemy soundsets too expensive?

Does anyone else thinks that?


I can understand your point of view however you really need to compare what you are getting with other products on the market ie - NI expansions, vengeance soundsets (I know it's vengeance but these are still good imho) and the rising prices of soundsets in general.

Don't forget these have samples attached and are not just parameter settings.

Further more I have found Camel Audio to be very generous in the past and I have also been lucky here with promos & offers, discount credits and only buying what I feel I need.

Are alchemy soundsets too expensive ... it's all down to a matter of need vs want. Also look at Nexus an extensive array of expansions but would you need them all?!?! No I doubt it!

I'm a hobbiest and rarely use Alchemy, not because I don't like it, I just haven't found the time to dig deep into it and i do like a lot of the presets.

You prompted me to see what I have from Camel :

•Steamworx
•Dubstep
•Cinematic Atmospheres
•Cinematic Impacts
•Planet Earth
•Luftrum Ambient
•Cinematic
•Dance & Trance
________________________________
3rd Party
•Vengeance Alchemy Soundset Vol 1
•DNR Alchemy Illuminous
•Alchemy Patchpool Simon Stockhausens if I recall
•Abiogenesis
•DrTW Sets 1-9 KVR Freebies
•Kriminal KVR Freebies
•Metaverse (Cant recall who released this maybe DNR)
•Teksoniks
•Uncharterted Territory
________________________________

•Biolabs Absynth Sounds Vols 1-3
•Biolabs Absynth Sounds Vols 4-6
•Biolabs Massive Sounds
________________________________


Now I am just a hobbiest, enthusiast (some say madly insane, I say too much wacky stuff) and realised I'm an obsesive soundbank collector, but I only buy what is relevant, what I like or is at that time good value for money.
A lot of these I have picked up when released and generally on a great deal...so always keep lurking around KVR forums (and others) keeping your eyes peeled and get to know a few dev's and people here. Great community and remember its a two way streak!

In repsect my mindset is buying these products helps companies keep releasing and supporting the scene.

My philosophy is this :

People smoke and pay £7.00+ for a packet of 20 cigarettes (or £10 for a pouch of 'baccy) in one month that's several soundbanks or a plugin - I quit last March 2011 after 20+ years smoking. I can afford to buy more and may live longer!

People drink and pay £3.00 upward for a pint or shot?!?!?! One night out and that's a soundbank! I'm lucky I don't drink much, a bottle or Morgan spice or whisky, bourbon will last me several months unless friends visit and can pull me away from the PC!?!?!

Some people pay £3-£6 for a burger (meat pureé in a bap with sauce) or £15 for a pizza (expensive cheese on toast imho) from the usual suspects or £2.50 for a sandwich. I make mine at home and eat healthily and cheaply. (I'm still a fat ol' sod though!)

It's all down to your perception of value for money and what you perceive as expensive!!

And damn after logging onto CA account I see I still have £10 credits...bloody Scott's tempting me to spend more money so they can buy more malt whisky!! :)

Peace

Now go and decide what Alchemy bank you want and buy it. Or better still go and invest some time making your own banks and if there good enough sell them here :) Everyone's a winner...

Value for money is all very subjective :!:

(PS Dont tell the wife she doesn't know what I spend of softwares) Our secret shhh)
Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air..
i7 2.66 12GB/SSD/Win8.1Prox64/RME FF800
AK/TI/x0xb0x/Maschine/Fireworx/JD800/JV1080/AdamsA7X
NI Komp'8U/Slate/Kush/Soundtoys and a shit load more
KVRist
 
202 posts since 3 Feb, 2010

Postby themachinelt; Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Reason why i think they are too expensive because i dont see they give quality i expect.

I checked few expansions, for example Dance/trance and dubstep, they sound cheap and not worth the 29/49 euro price tag.

I had bought on sale Planet Earth expansion, never used it, it doesnt offer anything new and yet it costs 49...glad it was a sale.

Maybe im wrong about mentioned expansions i have checked the audio demos, but so far from what i hear they do sound not worthy such price tag.
KVRist
 
222 posts since 21 Feb, 2011, from Paris (France)

Postby Marginal Ray; Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

themachinelt wrote:Reason why i think they are too expensive because i dont see they give quality i expect.

I checked few expansions, for example Dance/trance and dubstep, they sound cheap and not worth the 29/49 euro price tag.

I had bought on sale Planet Earth expansion, never used it, it doesnt offer anything new and yet it costs 49...glad it was a sale.

Maybe im wrong about mentioned expansions i have checked the audio demos, but so far from what i hear they do sound not worthy such price tag.



Hi,

We debated a lot about sound quality in Alchemy. From very average to excellent, it depends on the quality of the samples and/or the motivation of the designer. Resynthesis should also be more transparent, even if the goal is not to mimic reality. It will be for V2.

I agree that the sound demos on the website do not show what Alchemy can and what the libraries offer. A complete "song" would emphasize each library, beside the patches demo.

Now to the price subject: With a library, you get the Alchemy Player. Let's say you like vintage analogue sound, and buy just Himalaya vintage. The sound modification you can apply to the default sound of each preset is so enormous that you have almost infinity of sounds with a single preset. And it sounds good, very good! You can make an electro album with 49 € sound material, and play it live! On Iphone /Ipad, you can probably find other interesting music software, but 49 € is justified for Camels banks.

Probably, they could be a little bit cheaper for Alchemy (the full synth) users, or better said, Camel should be more generous with promotions. With a growing library catalogue, we will always have a library to buy! Alchemy cost 200 €, but with four libraries, it's 400 €. And because the factory library is… let's say not homogeneous enough, we need to buy several libraries to take the best of the fantastic instrument. But all in all, for making music, I don't know anything more funny, user friendly, inspiring and versatile that Alchemy. It has it's price.

Raymond

www.marginalray.com
100 % made in Alchemy
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7196 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:15 pm

themachinelt wrote:Reason why i think they are too expensive because i dont see they give quality i expect.

I checked few expansions, for example Dance/trance and dubstep, they sound cheap and not worth the 29/49 euro price tag.

I had bought on sale Planet Earth expansion, never used it, it doesnt offer anything new and yet it costs 49...glad it was a sale.

Maybe im wrong about mentioned expansions i have checked the audio demos, but so far from what i hear they do sound not worthy such price tag.


You're not wrong. You just have a different opinion. It's perfectly fine. :)

It's very possible that Alchemy itself just doesn't "tick" with you. There are several synths that I just don't "gel" with while they are massive successes and loved by the thousands.

That's the beauty of it all, we all like different things and I hope that never ever changes!

Cheers!
bManic
"Remember the iLokalypse June 10 - June 22 2013 - Dominus"
User avatar
KVRAF
 
1914 posts since 27 Mar, 2010, from UK

Postby MFXxx; Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:20 pm

bmanic wrote:
themachinelt wrote:Reason why i think they are too expensive because i dont see they give quality i expect.

I checked few expansions, for example Dance/trance and dubstep, they sound cheap and not worth the 29/49 euro price tag.

I had bought on sale Planet Earth expansion, never used it, it doesnt offer anything new and yet it costs 49...glad it was a sale.

Maybe im wrong about mentioned expansions i have checked the audio demos, but so far from what i hear they do sound not worthy such price tag.


You're not wrong. You just have a different opinion. It's perfectly fine. :)

It's very possible that Alchemy itself just doesn't "tick" with you. There are several synths that I just don't "gel" with while they are massive successes and loved by the thousands.

That's the beauty of it all, we all like different things and I hope that never ever changes!

Cheers!
bManic


Agreed. I am off the same mindset with DCAM Synth Sqaud in another thread.
Rintrah roars & shakes his fires in the burdend air..
i7 2.66 12GB/SSD/Win8.1Prox64/RME FF800
AK/TI/x0xb0x/Maschine/Fireworx/JD800/JV1080/AdamsA7X
NI Komp'8U/Slate/Kush/Soundtoys and a shit load more
User avatar
KVRist
 
293 posts since 30 Dec, 2006, from Beautiful Boise, Idaho
 

Postby quantum7; Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:17 pm

If you asked me 1 year ago, I too would have probably said that Alchemy sounded sub-par to Omnisphere and the expansion seemed a bit expensive, but then I took a good week and did nothing but really explore Alchemy preset by preset and started learning to tweak it a bit- I then became very impressed. I now own the following expansions:

•Steamworx (the creator deserves every penny he earned from this lib for his creativity)
•Dream Voicess (so beautiful and ethereal)
•Planet Earth (great stuff)
•Luftrum Ambient (incredible pads)
•Cinematic (begs to be on a movie soundtrack)

Alchemy has now become my "go to" vsti, replacing Omnisphere (which I still love, of course). I have found that Alchemy gives me a lot more unique and interesting textures that I have not found in any other synth/ROMpler. Now I'm even having a blast with all my old Akai libraries such as Symphony Of Voices, Bizarre Guitars, etc. importing them into Alchemy. I never thought these old libs would ever see the light of day again, but Alchemy has made them usable and interesting to me again.

Different strokes for different folks of course, but Alchemy sounds incredible to my ears. I write a lot of New-Age music and there is absolutely no other synth I would dream of using over Alchemy in that genre for sure.

Good job Camel guys- now get us some more expansions....ethereal and soundtrack stuff......please no more Dubstep or House. :D
"It is better to compose than decompose."

Sean Christopher Dockery
www.SeanDockery.com www.SeanChristopher.net
KVRist
 
222 posts since 21 Feb, 2011, from Paris (France)

Postby Marginal Ray; Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

...please no more Dubstep or House.


I would say more everything.

I made Alchemy as my single instrument, because it cans everything, mostly easily, intuitively and with much fun.

Ben and his Camels are so modest when describing their baby as a Sample manipulator, famous for sound effects, space pads, and film sound tracks. Alchemys VA engine can bear comparison with so many VA beasts. Feed it with good samples and SFZ, and even the best pure sampler becomes boring. No other instrument offers such a great modulation system, several synth and resynth engines, high quality FXs, almost molecular sound manipulation capabilities, but the possibility to play immediately like a child with a new toy (and by the way, to play music!) thanks to the Perform section. All this in one instrument, moreover opened to external samples, waveforms, etc.

Think that all this will be improved in V2.

You'll have the assume Alchemy's future status, Ben.

Raymond
User avatar
KVRAF
 
3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm

I think most of us have barely scratched the surface of what Alchemy is capable of.I'm slowly wrapping my head around it and discovering and trying new things.
One of the things I like about Alchemy is that it is fun to play with and learn.
I'm V2 will be even more amazing :)
User avatar
KVRAF
 
3239 posts since 20 Sep, 2005

Postby codec_spurt; Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Resonator63 wrote:I think most of us have barely scratched the surface of what Alchemy is capable of.I'm slowly wrapping my head around it and discovering and trying new things.
One of the things I like about Alchemy is that it is fun to play with and learn.
I'm V2 will be even more amazing :)



Amen to that brother. Er, I've only got the player. That is more than enough.
It's not that I need more. I am going to get the full deal one day, but for now
I don't need it. So sound sets - I have so many sound sets that I am still not using. I aim to use them. I love to use them. Every time I use them they come good, their quality is not in question. My ability to use their synthesis methods to create new sounds, is not in question.

I will soon buy them all, or rather buy those I like, buy the full Alchemy I mean to make my own sounds to give away to others.


:-o


That didn't come across too good. Oh well, I'll let it stand for now.


Peace.
--------------------------------------------
"One never loves enough" - R.D. Laing
--------------------------------------------
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6044 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California
    

Postby Uncle E; Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:13 pm

zerocrossing wrote:Maybe... I've never purchased one and probably never will. I found pretty early on that one could replace their lack luster samples with ones of your own, tweak a bit and viola, you've got a new sound. Never seemed to be a reason to pay someone else to do that. I've listend to the demos and none ever made me say, "Gotta get that."

Agreed on the demos. Maybe Camel could release small free demo sets so we can try them on our own because I don't find many of the audio demos to be compelling on their own.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
User avatar
KVRAF
 
6044 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California
    

Postby Uncle E; Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:18 pm

bmanic wrote:It's very possible that Alchemy itself just doesn't "tick" with you.

Alchemy doesn't "tick" with me. The strange thing is I love Camel Space and really liked the Cameleon CA5000, so I don't know where the love affair went south.
Redeem the 11% "FORUM" or 16% "GROUP" coupons at:
Image
KVRAF
 
7219 posts since 19 Feb, 2004, from Paris
 

Postby Lotuzia; Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:37 pm

A few hundred people made us the honor to get our Magic Wand soundbank for Alchemy. Wich is quite affordable. Lots of different instruments, its not a thematic one, so you'll find mainly usefull instruments, be them vintage or more modern. Also patches load in a flash ( no big samplesets involved, mainly synthesis works )

Btw : I dont think CA banks are overpriced. They have to split income to pay the SDs, and a bank of patches for Alchemy is a HUGE work. And some of the CA banks have definitely a precious vibe :)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Soundbanks for Vsti

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there [Xils-Lab Team]
User avatar
KVRAF
 
3631 posts since 1 Oct, 2006, from Um! Where is this?

Postby Resonator63; Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Lotuzia wrote:A few hundred people made us the honor to get our Magic Wand soundbank for Alchemy. Wich is quite affordable. Lots of different instruments, its not a thematic one, so you'll find mainly usefull instruments, be them vintage or more modern. Also patches load in a flash ( no big samplesets involved, mainly synthesis works )

Btw : I dont think CA banks are overpriced. They have to split income to pay the SDs, and a bank of patches for Alchemy is a HUGE work. And some of the CA banks have definitely a precious vibe :)


I have Magic Wand there are some superb sounds in there :)

I think you make a good point about the split income.
Also there must be a lot of work going into the soundsets.They are not just something that someone knocks out in a couple of hours.I agree with Uncle E about demo soundsets,that would be good.
PreviousNext

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

Return to Camel Audio