Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems the synth are developed by Steinberg (maybe they hired some free lancers but it's not a licensed stuff from another company). So this is completely different than in the past, where they had agreements with Wizoo, Virsyn etc.

Steinberg is not stupid, they know that it's not only the DAW. People today are interested also for some usable content and some unique synth. Halion SE with the Motif content, the drum loops and stuff... Padshop, Retrologue this goes all in this direction. It's not perfect and it will not replace Atmosphere but for the "Cubase bundle" it's a big step forward.

Not all are interested to have Soundcloud support but it's not bad to have it. Studio One has it too ;) The same with Flac or the new improved comping features.

Cubase 7 will have IMO a big change in the GUI. But we will see this not before 2013 and this is a long time from today.
This is a small upgrade (50€!) with some interesting features. If Steinberg will change to such release cycles with free updates and bug fixes if needed, once a year a small upgrade with some nice features and all 2 years a major upgrade, IMO this is not the worst thing! Users are happy, Steinberg will generate some money (don't forget it's a company.. they _must_ find ideas to sell something).

I didn't check but I assume these new synths are VST3 and not 2.4 therefore can use VST Expression, which now that i've thought of it, kinda appeals to me a bit more. Halion Sonic SE is a **** to use at the best of times.

The quantize additions look tempting too, but I am disgusted they are charging for it tbh, doesn't warrant 42 quids worth of updates considering the program cost over 500 quid to start with.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Well I finally got it installed and early signs are good. Padshop has some cool sounds as does the Retrologue (looks a bit like a jx8p)but best of all the lanes are back to how they were :)

p.s. Retrolugue is excellent fun, cant stop playing it :)

I guess that Retrologue is mostly a derivative of the synth part of Halion4. At least the demos sound very much like the Halion4 synth sounds, both share the same soft/warm (some might call it dull) character - at least to my ears. But at least Retrologue has a real GUI, while synth programming on Halion4 is pure pain.

Georg

4damind wrote: Not all are interested to have Soundcloud support but it's not bad to have it. Studio One has it too ;)
Actually, Studio One has something rather more interesting, and so far as I know unique: the Soundcloud integration is two way. In other words, they don't just let you upload to Soundcloud directly from within S1, but also you can DOWNLOAD and all of yours and your collaborators tracks appear right inside the S1 browser. So if you are collaborating with another musician via Soundcloud (something I now do regularly) then you can literally open S1 and drag/drop their tracks from the browser into the project and add your parts. A superb integration.

...and while it's not the most important thing a DAW offers by a long way, for me as a regular Soundcloud collaborator it's actually such a big selling point that I am considering buying Studio One (there's obviously a bunch of other reasons too, but this is a significant one).

I don't expect and thus don't like to pay to update inside C6. And will this make and update from C6 to C7 more expensive? :x

Eh... Not too happy to be dishing out money for a .5 release, but I've had some cash burning a hole in my pocket for a while now. I'll most likely be getting this. The synths don't look too bad actually which is a complete shock! Morph filter looks useful for some stuff that I do too.

Stability is the same if not better compared to .0.5 for those of you who bought it?

Cubendo! :)

Nice release.

electricthing wrote:I don't expect and thus don't like to pay to update inside C6. And will this make and update from C6 to C7 more expensive? :x
No one has mentioned this AFAIK, but I would assume that the upgrade paths from v.6 to 7 and v.6.5 to 7 will be different. 6.5 to 7 should be cheaper. If not, there'll be a lot of pissed off Cubase loyalists (myself included).

Cheers
-B
Last edited by BERFAB on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

huh.. i am well inside the grace period.. i thought that i bought C6 pretty quickly.. hmm.. :scared:

so then help me here? 64bit rewire? does that mean I can use ableton 32bit slave with my 64 bit rewire 64 bit host??

Just got my update, will let you know how it goes.
glasgene wrote:so then help me here? 64bit rewire? does that mean I can use ableton 32bit slave with my 64 bit rewire 64 bit host??
I don't think there's a bridging technology for ReWire so Ableton Live would be out until they release a 64-bit version.

soundpalace wrote:I don't think there's a bridging technology for ReWire so Ableton Live would be out until they release a 64-bit version.
K Thanks :)

Boy, did i get lucky...i bought the upgrade to v6 just after this past Christmas, but i didn't actually activate it until Jan 1, meaning i just squeaked into the grade period eligibility.

It's not an expensive update if i've heard correctly, but a freebie is always nice.

I like the looks of v6.5 btw; there's alot here that i think i will make use of.

Regards
Glenn
'Auricle'

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”