Update: Cubase 6.5 available (49,99€)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a very nice update indeed!

I just bought the update from c6 to 6.5 full, but the mac link says "Artist"? Is that right?

I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

And if I buy Cubase 6 right now, do I have to buy this upgrade on top of it?

bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

Sequent wrote:
bduffy wrote:I'm a little surprised by this - we've never paid for point-upgrades before, have we?

I believe this is the first time that we are being asked for pay for a point upgrade. But at least $49 is not that much. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Adobe 5.5 point upgrade was.

As of right now you can no longer buy Cubase 6. If you buy it from a dealer then I would guess you would fall into the grace period... which would be free.

I'm still on Cubase 5 and I'm happy to see that for me the update remains at the same price. At least it didn't go up to $249! If the buzz is good and if the new additions are solid then I will more than likely go for it. The fact that the $199 4/5 > 6.5 pricing remains the same and the fact that they added Padshop into the the mix is a nice bonus. If you're just making music for fun then it may or may not be worth updating this round, but if you're making some sort of income it's possible that the workflow enhancements alone might make it more than worth it.
Yeah, I'm still on Cubase 5 too, biding my time. Can't wait to upgrade now! I agree, it's a reasonable price, just a little surprised; they've never done this before.

That's what I assumed: if I bought it tomorrow at a store (and we can only buy it a retailers in Canada, anyway), this would qualify for the grace period. I almost upgraded a couple months ago, and I couldn't find an online-purchasable version anywhere.

bduffy wrote:
Sequent wrote:

Yeah, I'm still on Cubase 5 too, biding my time. Can't wait to upgrade now! I agree, it's a reasonable price, just a little surprised; they've never done this before.

That's what I assumed: if I bought it tomorrow at a store (and we can only buy it a retailers in Canada, anyway), this would qualify for the grace period. I almost upgraded a couple months ago, and I couldn't find an online-purchasable version anywhere.
Well worth the upgrade to v6 mate, application is way more refined and also looks super pretty :oops:

v6.5 running great here "so far", it's really too soon to tell if it's fully stable but I have finished all my big projects that were "due" so now is a great time to upgrade.

The new effects suck. Filter doesn't have resonance, DJ EQ isn't as good as the ABleton Live one.

However, the VSTis added are very impressive. The anologish synth is actually really nice, very clean sounding oscillators with some warmth, powerful modulation, simple yet nice effects section and a decent amount of flexibility.

Will it replace Sylenth1 or Massive ... God no!! But it definitely will get used.

It's also really low CPU and has a smooth transition to multiple oscillators for the MULTI mode which is something I only have on my Virus TI, cool!

Filters are decent although not mind blowing ... but, it has a 6db/oct filter with resonance which is GREAT, something I miss from good ol Thor in Reason.

Evelnopes sound smooth and lovely.

Main cons are, some of the switches are awkward to change (horizontal action??) ... and the MULTI oscillator isn't quite as wide in the stereo field (easy fixed with Voxengo MSED though).

Padshop I haven't gotten into yet, but the presets sound excellent!! Nice companion to Omnisphere for good atmospheric sounds.

More impressions to follow.
Last edited by fgimian on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

headquest wrote:
LeVzi wrote:So we now pay for a point update regardless of the content, and then are expected again to pay to update to 7 when that comes out.

Wow, talk about milking that Cash Cow. Disgusting attitude tbh. Especially when you actually look at what you get for 40quid.
Actually I think it's a bargain - the two synths are worth way more than that ... EACH. And there are some other genuine goodies in there.

Contrast this with Reason 6 upgrade if you will - having invested a load of cash in both Reason 5 and Record 1.5, the current price for me to upgrade to Reason 6t is 149 euros, for which I would get three new effects and a couple of minor programme improvements. Now that's what I consider an appalling attitude: Steinberg are being very generous here IMHO.
The Reason6 upgrade was pay what you want. You didn't do it then? I paid only $50 for the what you think it's worth approach and feel I drastically underpaid but the props got the $50 and not a competitor.

Not sure why you wouldn't upgrade for the pay what you want?

Amazingly more stable than v5 btw...

soundpalace wrote:
bduffy wrote:
Sequent wrote:

Well worth the upgrade to v6 mate, application is way more refined and also looks super pretty :oops:
Agreed. When I was trying the demo, I could confirm that it runs better than v5 on Snow Leopard, so bring it on (when I can afford it)! :hihi:

Ah! I see you can only buy "Cubase 6.5" from Steinberg now. I wonder if they'll allow me to upgrade now? Steinberg Canada told me to go to a brick-and-mortar store...

Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:Holy upgrade, Batman! :O

Did the Yamaha Vintage Channel Strip come with this? Because I'm running them right now.. after updating to Cubase 6.5 :-o
No. Tell me that's not true...

bduffy wrote:

It might not be true.. as I've installed the trial version before, but haven't activated it yet, haven't put the license code to elicenser and to my usb-stick. Now it's working as if it has a license.. Odd.

Edit: Ah ok, silly me. It's running of my "Steinberg, All Applications" license. So the answer is no, it's not included. Darn.. Would've been sweet :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

mkdr wrote:
bduffy wrote:

It might not be true.. as I've installed the trial version before, but haven't activated it yet, haven't put the license code to elicenser and to my usb-stick. Now it's working as if it has a license.. Odd.

Edit: Ah ok, silly me. It's running of my "Steinberg, All Applications" license. So the answer is no, it's not included. Darn.. Would've been sweet :)
OMG. Would've been so good. That YVCS was awesome. One of the best software compressors I've used!

I've been afraid to update Mac OSX Cubase 6 from version 6.0.0 to any of the other point versions because of all of the troubles people seem to be having. Is 6.0.5 safe? How about the soon-to-be-released 6.0.6? I want the fear of updating to end.

ALSO, does 6.5 use more RAM and CPU than 6.0 does? This is extremely important to me, because my system isn't the "ideal" music system.

fuk you steinberg

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”