Joe Cat - Arctic Air Lifts the Ottoman

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Turks conquer the North...

Playing with Aalto, some Puremagnetic Mellotron samples, and old Emu drum samples - this is what dropped out. Was supposed to be a little experimental/downtempo "sketch" with some vintage-sounding gear, but of course ended up (like most of my tracks) sounding like "theme" music. Whatever it is, it's my first post here. At least it's a short one! :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/31416093/Shared ... ttoman.mp3

http://soundcloud.com/joe-cat/arctic-ai ... he-ottoman

Enjoy (I hope!)

I did indeed enjoy it. Quirky.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Nice tune. Nice atmosphere. I'm a bit of a sucker for 'tron sounds. I grew up listening to '70s Genesis/Crimson/Tangerine Dream, so I enjoyed this one. The other instruments were cool too :)
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TY for the comments.
Tracks like this don't have much of an audience outside us producer geeks, so it's always nice to get a little feedback. :)

Nice track. Very fun! Liked that bass alot :)

JoeCat, Very nice bit of work there. I like how you were able to take a diverse set of sounds and make them fit together into a cohesive whole. Over and above the sounds, the composition itself stands on its own quite well. To paraphrase Oliver, please, sir, can you post some more?
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Awesome! I know the tempo was around 120? 125? But it sure felt faster than that. I wonder if there is a name for this phenomenon? Well done.

Thanks again for the kinds words :-D I'm working on one more quick "Aalto+Mellotron+Old Drum Machine" thing.

@lionscub68
Tempo is 130 - That "rush/drag" where the percussive elements are rhythmically faster than the melody, etc., is actually influenced by drum&bass - specifically, the newer sort of semi-ambient (I think some guys are calling it "autonomic") - that music's at 170 but technically half-time at 85, with the percussive elements rushing it. Google some tunes called Guidance and Reflection by Synkro & Indigo for a great example. I'm hoping to eventually start some "serious" work at that tempo.
(BTW - where are your new dailies?)

@PaleBlueDot - there's a awesome percussive element in that Guidance track that sounds suspiciously like the Tonescape Small Mechanics samples - can't believe I recognized those samples in your track "Among Stars" (great use of them, btw).

Return to “Music Cafe”