I Need a Synth (or synth sound) that is sweet, gentle, and warm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Most warm I've expirienced is FabFilter Twin 2. It literally swimms in warmness. Kinda limiting when you need something colder though....

The Telenator wrote:
...If some of the sounds you have tried come off as too clean, harsh, cold or digital, keep in mind that you can soften sounds subtly with plugins such as Variety Of Sound/Bootsy's FerricTDS or others
Yeah I know to use effects. I don't think I have any good "tape warmer" plugins though. Usually if I want to add warmth I use Pultronic Tube EQ (which sucks because it's a CPU hog, even though it's great at what it does)
Getting softer tons also kind of came from washing out a little in reverb and cutting off the upper end with a normal parametric EQ (speaking of Reaper, I used ReaEQ)

Per Farley
not to be rude, but that is not at all under $45

ntom wrote:Per Farley
not to be rude, but that is not at all under $45
Oh, sorry, didn't notice that condition. :/

ntom wrote: I took a look at almost every synth posted and tried all of them out...sadly I didn't have much luck with really any of the ones posted...
Did you try the synths in CM magazine? ZebraCM?
Because there are bell type sounds that sound exactly like it there.
Imo, One Ping Only could do it, if one tried hard enough.
This one too.
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-elek7ro

mcnoone wrote:
ntom wrote: I took a look at almost every synth posted and tried all of them out...sadly I didn't have much luck with really any of the ones posted...
Did you try the synths in CM magazine? ZebraCM?
Because there are bell type sounds that sound exactly like it there.
Imo, One Ping Only could do it, if one tried hard enough.
This one too.
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-elek7ro
I don't have CM magazine, and I actually do have Elek7ro...let me update the song (i'll post a bump when that happens) so you can hear what I am settling with for right now, though I do hope I might be able to change it before the end.

Okay, I updated the track now. The on-site SC player's waveform didn't change (atleast on my end it didn't) but I did hit play on it to make sure it will load correctly, and it did.
The new sound is a little more electronicy.
Using:
Zebralette for the synth
effefts are,
Pultronic Tube EQ (with dirty vintage tubes)
Classic Chorus
Redline Reverb

run anything through echo boy saturation. instant love. it doesn't matter what it is. echo boys saturation analog modes are incredible to take anything at all and give it a nice dunking in warm fuzzy yumminess.

even digital sounding wavetable synths when passed through it sound much less so.

apply a little touch of your favorite IR and you're set :)

also imposcars filter works wonders on anything too. forgot to say.

ntom wrote:Okay, I updated the track now. The on-site SC player's waveform didn't change (atleast on my end it didn't) but I did hit play on it to make sure it will load correctly, and it did.
The new sound is a little more electronicy.
Using:
Zebralette for the synth
effefts are,
Pultronic Tube EQ (with dirty vintage tubes)
Classic Chorus
Redline Reverb
I'll just be honest and say, that the motif is incredibly cool.
The sound just doesn't sound right though.
It's only a one oscillator synth though.
It needs the warm chorus thing underneath the high bell like the older clip.
The chorus not on the bell part.
That layered thing. ZebraCM has many of those types of sounds.

In Zebralette, now that you have a good setting on the envelopes, if you just try as many different combinations out using the 2 different "OscFx" settings.
Saving at each one that sounds good, you will eventually nail what your looking for. The OscFx are the key to getting what you want there.
Good luck, and sounds great. Look forward to hearing a complete tune.

edit:
From the time of this post to now, maybe a couple hours, I did 10 Zebralette presets that are variations of similar. In between the first bell type thing and the muddy chorus thing you have there now.
Here they are for to try and see if they get you closer to something that works
http://www.box.net/s/70ee7ve66nxk4md27nis
10 zebralette warm bellish types. No FX on.
If you need chorus, don't use fx. Just play with the "detune" knob instead.
The first bellish sound you had on the track was too bright or cold, you went for something warmer, that sounds to muddy in the mix. It needs both cold bellish tones and warm synth below it to work "in my opinion".

I was actually kind of taking a break from the song, as of late I've hit quite the inability to write music except...well occasionally I will write an incredibly not-related-to-current-project snippet that becomes a new project, but that I can't write anything else to that snippet but find another new snippet and well...it just becomes a vicious circle, so I was hoping maybe stepping away from the music for a bit might help.

Anyways, There are 3 patches in your 10-patch bank that are interesting...I think with some minor adjustments they will work quite well! Thank you very much for that!
Any magic remedies for not being able to write? I think I got 4 projects on hold because they only have a A-part written, no B, no C, or god forbid D

So I went out and bought an issue of CM magazine...I'm thoroughly unhappy about it too...well maybe not that unhappy. But I had to laugh at my own self that this sheer strike at irony. The disc didn't include ZebraCM...in fact, all it included was an incredibly useless collection of samples.
...at least I tried...

ntom wrote: The disc didn't include ZebraCM...in fact, all it included was an incredibly useless collection of samples.
...at least I tried...
That means you bought a "special" issue.
They aren't the main regular issues.
It says "special" on the front of the mag right?
The regular issues say "CM Studio".
Just need to search the book stores for that one.

Suddenly it doesn't seem so special...

Well I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a copy and the lady told me they only get the quarterly issues...which I am supposing are the special issues.
Really don't feel like spending another $20 on a magazine though. Maybe next paycheck...which won't be for a month...

Return to “Instruments”