Good audio interfaces from the PREAMP perspective?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh really? Didn't know that about ASIO... I also think the steinberg is the most likely candidate. Really wanna know more about the Tascam though.

Thanks

Nicksaf wrote:i think we are going a bit off topic here. Anyway please, could you give your opinions on the three cards i mentioned?
The topic is "Good audio interfaces from the PREAMP perspective?"

I never meant to say it in an offensive way. This really gives a tastes of the pre's world, and i really do appreciate it! I just meant my budget, that's all. Should have indicated in the subject.

Did you happen to try the Steinberg CI1?

I echo Uncle E's recommendation on the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. That being said I could be bias cause I have one :) What I do know is that it sounds beautiful to me, is feature rich and with the latest drivers it performs well.

For it's price i can buy like 10 steinberg CI1's :D

Nicksaf wrote:I just meant my budget, that's all. Should have indicated in the subject.
Yes, this would be a very different discussion. That said, why have you left off the super popular and proven TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 and Focusrite Saffire 2i2 USB?
Did you happen to try the Steinberg CI1?
I didn't find it great sounding.
Last edited by Uncle E on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicksaf wrote:For it's price i can buy like 10 steinberg CI1's :D
And they wouldn't equal 1 Liquid Saffire 56.

Uncle E wrote:
Nicksaf wrote:I just meant my budget, that's all. Should have indicated in the subject.
Yes, this would be a very discussion. That said, why have you left off the super popular and proven TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 and Focusrite Saffire 2i2 USB?
Nicsksaf, I would not hesitate to put them above any of the three on your shortlist along with the Mackie Blackbird as the three to choose from. I do not like any of the three you have shortlisted personally against the two Eric mentioned and also the earlier mentioned Mackie.

Basically if you do end up buying one of the three currently in your shortlist then I am pretty sure you will end up wanting to 'upgrade' after a while and IMVeryHumbleHO you could and should save yourself that step/waste of money

My 50 pence FWIW :)

Dean

Ok the Scarlett then. Will a simple beyerdynamic dynamic microphone give it justice? Or i actually have to buy a new one?

What kind of Beyer mic? They make / used to make some seriously great dynamic mics... ;-)

Opus 39 i think...

Transducer Dynamic
Polar Pattern Super-cardioid
Frequency Response Close: 50Hz - 16kHz
Distant: 100Hz - 14kHz measured at 1 meter
Dynamic Range (Typical) not specified by manufacturer

Fair enough, not so familiar with the Opus range. But I've yet to come across a Beyer dynamic mic that sucks...

Bear in mind that dynamic mics are even more dependant on the pre-amp to sound good: you might be surprised how great a humble SM58 can sound when plugged into a really high end preamp... or a Mackie Onyx for that matter, which is nearly as good!

Something to bear in mind: my Satellite interface works as a standalone 2-channel mic preamp when not plugged into a computer. I believe the Blackjack does the same, so you could use the preamps as a front end for a different interface with line inputs if you find that the Mackie drivers don't work well, or you need more IO.

The price for a Blackjack still looks cheap even if you ignore the interface entirely and just regard it as a pair of mic preamps.

I have just noticed the audio inputs on the 2i2 and Ci1. Can those fit standard RCA plugs?? I have a stereo receiver and planning to connect to it.

you'll need 1/4 plug to rca adaptors.

Thanks! Will it work ok? Or it's the same thing? I mean there's no better compatibility if the audio interface will have rca connectors?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”