Need help with fixing Edirol keyboard- some keys aren't working

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone with experience that could help here? Basically, two or three keys on my Edirol PCR-M50 keyboard(the old PCR style, not the current line) aren't working. Well, they work if I bang on them really hard, but it still only registers a VERY low velocity. So essentially, they don't work.

Is it somewhat easy to get in there and fix this? Is it a matter of cleaning? The keyboard just sits on my studio desk, so it hasn't been moved or beat around or anything.

This isn't my primary keyboard, so it's no big deal. But I would like to try and fix it before buying another one. Any suggestions? Instructions? Is it a big risk by opening it up? I know it will void warranty, but I'm FAR past that anyways.

Thanks.

Brent
My host is better than your host

Check out this post from the DIY forum...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197573

There are some helpful posts from Tomg in there. Basically it involves removing the keys from the keybed (no biggie) and cleaning the carbon contacts underneath.

justin3am wrote:Check out this post from the DIY forum...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197573

There are some helpful posts from Tomg in there. Basically it involves removing the keys from the keybed (no biggie) and cleaning the carbon contacts underneath.
Haha, thanks! It's funny, because I posted in that topic saying that this very keyboard was working fine! Of course, that was years ago(four or five?) which shows how long it lasted before having problems!

I'll check out his posts and give it a shot. Thanks!

Brent

I had the same keyboard. It's indeed doable but it was tiresome when it started to happen more often so I sold it. The new PCR-X00 line is better. But instead I accidentally poured a glass of white wine over it and I didn't open it up for a few days. The acid started to eat up the copper inside so now I have kind of the same problem. Oh, silly me. :help:

Well, I fixed both keys. One of them has a tighter feel after assembling it again, possibly because I accidentally wiped all the grease away from the tab underneath the key?

But they are definitely working better now, which is great! It will at least buy me time until I can afford another controller, plus I still have my Keystation 88 Pro to hold me "over"(since it's the main one anyways).

Brent

koolkeys wrote:Well, I fixed both keys. One of them has a tighter feel after assembling it again, possibly because I accidentally wiped all the grease away from the tab underneath the key?

Brent
Brent it's probably not seated right, that happened when I repaired my Roland XP-10 and I had to take it apart and re-seat the keys...I'm not even sure what I did but they were better when I removed them and put them back in. If you're really worried about the grease it's called white grease but vasoline will work just as well imo. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thanks Hink. Good tip on the Vasoline. I don't THINK that's the problem, but it doesn't hurt. I did try reseating it multiple times, and even putting another C key on it from another part of the keyboard, and it was tight as well. So something else may be preventing it from sliding as easy or whatever, which is why I thought the grease may be an issue(though I don't know why since grease isn't anywhere that slides).

Hmmmmm.....

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”