Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Astralp wrote:Yep, I couldn't resist adding some more features :)

Today I'm going to add an optional octave of re-pitch triggers which can be set to any amount, haven't figured out where to put them yet though!
Andy, there will always be an issue about how many keys someone has on their keyboard and whether they have to shift the range of their keyboard up or down an octave to reach other notes.

Since I think the majority of midi controllers are either 25 or 61 keys, it would make sense to me to target the 61 board as your basic available keys. The 25 keys is going to have to be doing a lot of shifting one way or another anyway.

For performance, I think you need to have those octaves next to each other ... you are still going to need a hand to trigger the keys for the sequences.

So I imagine two solutions. Place the pitch shifting on C0/ 24 up ... where it would be possible to trigger effects and pitch shift with the left hand while playing with the right; or, use 'key switching' where depressing B1/ 35 plus a key from C1 octave pitches up.

The first method makes it possible, if awkward depending on the size of someones hand, to have all the current triggers plus pitch shift. The second method would only permit one or the other at any given time.

From a musical sense, I think you need to retain 3 full octaves for melodic parts (disregarding shifting the notes inside the sequence). For that reason as well as the impracticability (unless using hold or latch) of changing both triggers and pitch at the same time, I don't think you should take the C4 octave away from sequence triggering.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

musikmachine wrote:Cool. 8)
Just tried it on my desktop and it's ok. Also just tried it with a midi out on my mopho and it's great, specially with the triggers. It's all making sense now and coming together in a cohesive way. :)
I had a play on the mopho keyboard version in that shop last week, it's very nice, hope to get one at some point soon.
Actually it just crashed Cantabile when adjusting the CC1 slider shift function to lower the cutoff (CC74) on midi channel 1.
Oh blimey I forgot to update shift to account for the new note storage, sorry! I shall fix it today.
Added: Tried latching a sequence with a sustain pedal and when i released it the sequence remained playing. Tried all notes off and disabling the audio engine but it just won't quit! :hihi:
Well I used CC64 for Hold mode, although it should have switched it off when released. Perhaps I should move it to a different CC, it just seemed sensible at the time...
Also tried changing presets. Again, just to reiterate; Vortex rocks! :D
hehe thanks :) It's definitely by far the best plugin I've made.

Thanks for finding the bugs TJ, you really have a knack for getting into the corners :)

Giving beta 25 a work out. The squash2scale isn't working in Cubase right now. Otherwise looking really good.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

You mean the pesky load button?

Astralp wrote:You mean the pesky load button?
Yes, sir! That very one.

Como

//////BETA 26
* Fixed a bug detecting NOTE_ON with VEL 0;
* Added programmable Pitch Octave to notes 72-83 on the Advanced Panel - Assign a pitch to each note that affects all sequences with Repitch enabled. Also responds to CH16 Hold, but in this case you should use one key set as 0 if you need to get back to the default pitch.
* Added Bypass Sequence for 2 octaves to the advanced panel (as requested by Como)
* Fixed a big bug I introduced in the last update regarding the new note storage system, sorry about that!
* Invert Sequence added - click Flip whilst holding CTRL
* Drum button was broken in the last release.
* Midi Mixer Channel On and Mute buttons swapped.
* Synth Engine was a semitone high!
* Midi Thru Mode Added - Enable on the synth page - this allows midi notes to be sent to the external midi output whilst the synth is enabled. Note that only note on/off data is sent in this mode to prevent confusion.
* HOLD has now changed to CC 59

I'll do something drastic about the Load button in the next update

NOTE- The repitch Octave is assigned to C4 by default, but you can put it to C5 or C6 or disable it (per patch) on the advanced panel :)

Oh also meant to say that using midi through it appears that there may be a semitone difference in pitch, I still have to look into this! Be great to hear feedback on this, it may just be the sound module I'm using.

Astralp wrote:Oh also meant to say that using midi through it appears that there may be a semitone difference in pitch, I still have to look into this! Be great to hear feedback on this, it may just be the sound module I'm using.
I'm away from my daw ... but it should be simple to test. Just place some notes on the white middle octave bar of the grid of a sequence, which should give you a 'C' I believe; and, then record the midi to see where it ends up in the midi editor of your daw.

I'll check this later, if you don't have a chance to get to it.

Como

The midi notes do tally up, if there's a problem it's with the Ammonite Synths internally. I'm on my way out tonight so didn't have chance to test in eagerness to get the new beta released :)

Astralp wrote:I'll do something drastic about the Load button in the next update
After update to 26 Beta Load button again doesn't work for me.

Janusz
Computer: rack PC, Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB & 500 GB SSD disks, HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM
DAW: Studio One 3 Pro, FL Studio Producer 20, Bitwig 2
Hardware: Yamaha 01X + 2 x Yamaha i88X, Nektar Panorama P4, Behringer BCR2000,

Janusz Grzybek wrote:
Astralp wrote:I'll do something drastic about the Load button in the next update
After update to 26 Beta Load button again doesn't work for me.

Janusz
Hi Janusz,

I think what you quote means Andy knows that its not working and is planning to fix it.

BTW ... it didn't work in B25 for me, but now it's working in B26.

Como
Last edited by como baila on Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looking good :D

It'll take me ages to learn the features :wink:

Andy ... I'm loving the 'ADVANCED' page!

There appears to be 'bug' with the Sequence Bypass. Bypassing a key in either octave also bypasses the other octave.

I see now how well the pitch shifting works with with 'hold' engaged. Two quick thoughts ... falling between here and the feature request thread. :wink:

I think it would be more intuitive for most new users to call 'Hold' 'Latch' instead. A small point, but everything that makes it easier for new users to learn will help with the instrument's reputation.

I also think there should be a Hold or Latch enable tab on each sequence, like repitch, so there is a choice sequence by sequence whether you want a sequence to play latched or not.

Como

Andy,

I'm also concerned with one other superficially mundane, but ultimately important issue: presets.

I know I can change and save them within a project, but I want to also be able to create my own banks to use across other projects.

We've discussed the issue with Cubase and the discontinuation of the *.FXP and *.FXB formats under VST3 and VST3.5. But it still is able to import a *.FXB into its preset format.

I know we also dicussed saving and then loading single sequences.

But is there or will there by a way to create, save and load entire banks?

Not, that your presets aren't great ... but you know what I mean.

Como

como baila wrote:Andy,

I'm also concerned with one other superficially mundane, but ultimately important issue: presets.

I know I can change and save them within a project, but I want to also be able to create my own banks to use across other projects.

We've discussed the issue with Cubase and the discontinuation of the *.FXP and *.FXB formats under VST3 and VST3.5. But it still is able to import a *.FXB into its preset format.

I know we also dicussed saving and then loading single sequences.

But is there or will there by a way to create, save and load entire banks?

Not, that your presets aren't great ... but you know what I mean.

Como
Como I'm not sure what I can do really, I don't have access to the preset import/export as far as I know, it's the host that handles this usually. It's incredible that Steinberg removed that option from Cubase seeing as how they invented and programmed the VST SDK in the first place! Did you not find a workaround on the cubase forum? I'll look into the newer SE SDK to see if I can access them.

You have seen this? http://code.google.com/p/fxtractor/

I'd be very disappointed if user's only used my presets :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”