Drumming with brushes

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am now using Mulab to create drum loops, which goes very well.
The only thing I cannot make is a loop using brushes.
I managed to make something simular with open and closed Hihat, but that does not really sound the way I wanted.
Does anyone know how to create the sound of brushes?
Thanks in advance for your reply'

Rob

Hi Rob,

unfortunately MuLab still has no "brush button" ... :hihi: :oops: (sorry for that inadequate joke).

I guess you know how to add VSTi-plugins in MuLab for more instruments. I think there still are no free drum plugins with brush sounds. So either you have to buy a product like "addictive drums" (with the additional "jazz adpaks", http://www.xlnaudio.com), or you download brush samples e.g. from freesound.org and create a MuDrum or MultiSampler in MuLab on your own. The latter will be a bit of work. Try http://www.orangetreesamples.com/downlo ... unkKit.rar (102MB!!!) for some tasty drum samples. Hope this helps.
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
FEMALE VOICE MuX demo :phones: more by SUNFLOWER LAP ORCHESTRA

pljones has created SFZ mappings for the Jazz Funk Kit:

http://www.drealm.info/sfz/GregJazz/

so, download the kit, download the SFZ mappings, and then grab sfz or shortcircuit.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Thanks. I will try the JazzFunk Kit although I am not sure how it works.
Rob

Hi again,
now I'm not sure if the JazzFunkKit includes a full brush kit. At http://www.drealm.info/sfz/K-v-R/SWTrex.html you get samples incl. sfzmappings for 2 complete brush kits (thanks bpblog for pljones' site).
         _/_/       _/_/_/
    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/
FEMALE VOICE MuX demo :phones: more by SUNFLOWER LAP ORCHESTRA

That's right, I did not see any brushes.
I downloaded the Brush Kit and mapping now.
What I do not know is where to place them inside Mulab.

Rob

You can also smooth the attack of the hits and add a little noise if you need to fudge it
Amazon: why not use an alternative

robfigee wrote:That's right, I did not see any brushes.
I downloaded the Brush Kit and mapping now.
What I do not know is where to place them inside Mulab.

Rob
To use multisamples mapped in SFZ format, you need an SFZ-format capable multisample player, such as rgc:audio's sfz.exe (you need the patched version 1.97 available from the WayBackMachine, linked from my site to avoid glitches on multi-core machines; Cakewalk still, AFAIUI, don't supply this; note that WBM links may have recently changed...). Then you drop the SFZ (or whatever) .DLL onto a rack slot (or insert the instrument), as with any other VSTi. Once that's there, you pop open the VST plug-in's user interface, click the right place and find and select the ".sfz" file. Assuming you stored the samples in the place the .sfz file was expecting, the multisampler will then load up the samples according to the mapping and you can play them with MIDI notes.

(Of course, I still think MULAB should use SFZ for its internal multisampler... I would, though...)

Hi, I followed your instructions as well as possible.
I now have in my folder with all other VST's: 5 files with SFZ extension and 5 folders with the same name ending with BPM. Each of these folders contains two other folders named FILL and STYLE.
Also there is the SVZ.dll as plug-in.
I placed that plug-in in Rack 1. The SVZ interface appears.
Double clicked in the blank space after FILE and chose one of the SVZ files.
So far so good, but one problem: There is no sound.
Also when i click the place in the top of the Plug-in Interface, where with other VST's I can choose a vatiantion of that VST, I get a long empty list, while the text in that frame is just the number "1".
No doubt there is something wrong, but I do not know what.
The downloaded and extracted files were:
Pattinhouse Midi Patterns for Jazz brush Kit.zip , and
SWTrex Pattinhouse Brush.zip

Rob

You need to watch your typing. Names are important to computers. "SFZ" and "SVZ" are not the same thing. Sometimes the computer will helpfully say "File not found" if you get something wrong. Sometimes it will stay silent about your error.

"Pattinhouse Midi Patterns for Jazz brush Kit.zip" will contain MIDI files. MIDI files do not make any sound. They tell something that can generate sounds what sounds you'd like generated.

"SWTrex Pattinhouse Brush.zip" -- you'll need to explain what this is, say what it contains and where you put the contents and state where the instructions that came with it said to put the contents.

If you only got the SFZ mapping files, then you didn't follow the instructions which say you also need to get the samples. SFZ mapping files (a bit like MIDI) do not make sound - they just tell the multisampler how to use a set of samples that must also be provided.

Hi, thanks for all your help. The files I downloaded were those Reincke mentioned.
Because I am not that much a computer technician and because of very bad Eye sight I have great troubles reading all the text.
So I give up to get a brush kit.
Anyway, thanks for trying to help me,

Rob

Thanks. I must have been doing things wrong for I still did not get it to work.
Out of pure frustration I followed the first suggestion of this Thread and bought a Brush Kit with some 150 MB of brush loops.
So once more I want to thank all you guys for the help you gave me.
Regards,

Rob

Return to “MUTOOLS”