M4.1 Test

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm... was looking at the tutorial for creating a multi-sampla instrument for audio files and I guess that doesn't apply to V4? Can't find any of those commands like "Create multisample using locators"? I wa trying to slice and stretch a drum loop which I haven't done thus far as I don't do much audio anyway but... nice to know how. Still trying to get the rack/track target thing figured out as well :shrug:

Thanks folks!

mutools wrote:I've made a picture that shows the architecture: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/architecture.png
Hope this helps.
Yep, that's nice and clear. Maybe could do with clarifying whether the rack is in the Session MUX or not, I guess. (I'm assuming it is...)

(Much clearer than my old Muzys Wiring pic! :D)

@DHR53:
- add an instrument to an existing track is as you say: create a new rack with an instrument and drag the rack onto the track header.
- multisampla and timestretch: In the session menu select "Import Sample Loop", which will slice the loop, create a multisampla and put the slices inside. Very much Rex/Recylce style. Works very well when changing tempo.
If you think the auto sliceing could be better, change the markers or add/delete markers in the audio editor. If you select "Update Sliced Sample Part" from the context menu the sequence will be updated.
The easiest way to see the sample in the audio editor is to right click the midi sequence and select "Edit Sample"

Seemed a lot easier in the M3 tutorial... Like there was a setting for automatically creating the multi-sampla. But I'll check out this way. Thanks...

mutools wrote: A session itself is not a MUX, it contains a single top level MUX, which can contain any number of deeper MUXes i.e. deeper modular levels.
Compositions can target any module in any deeper MUX level.
I've made a picture that shows the architecture: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/architecture.png
Hope this helps.
Yes, but (for me) there are 2 levels of working with the MUX
- session setup ( can you give a definition for this ? )
- soundconstruction ( synths + effects + ? )

I am looking at the practical side..first( condition) the session setup with assigning instruments
So starting soundconstruction from the top-level mux is confusing

Suppose i do want to make a effect or synthesized sound--> i do want to go right away to the MUX editor for this and not starting in the top level mux

Can you give a workflow for this ?

janamdo wrote:Yes, but (for me) there are 2 levels of working with the MUX
- session setup ( can you give a definition for this ? )
- soundconstruction ( synths + effects + ? )
From MuLab 4.1 on, there is only 1 MUX.
The session MUX is the root of the modular tree.
I am looking at the practical side..
I don't think much changes on the practical side between MuLab 4.0 and MuLab 4.1. You just get a more simplified & transparant architecture, and more options at the same time, for example session-level meta-parameters, and a session-level Play Editor.

DHR53 wrote:Seemed a lot easier in the M3 tutorial... Like there was a setting for automatically creating the multi-sampla.
It's still there.

In M4 you also get automatic drumloop slicing.

mutools wrote:
From MuLab 4.1 on, there is only 1 MUX.
The session MUX is the root of the modular tree.
Ok, than only make it visible that here is a modular editor in MULAB ;)
Otherwise you cannot impress people with this outstanding feature (marketing thing )and where whole MULAB revolves on.

example on our shop..SUBARU has a scoop http://www.zerospec.com/high-level-scoo ... 60978194d8..how about MULAB..use the turbo button :)
Last edited by janamdo on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This multiscreen support is great!
Thank you.

Amazing update, again :)

I have one question, not generally about 4.1 though. Is there a way to globally store the manually assigned midi control maps, so that I don't have to assign them again everytime that I start a new session and use the particular synth or effect again?

It would be nice if MuLab would save and recall this info from a global txt file or something, per vst(i) :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

I asked Jo for MIDI Controller Templates couple months ago he liked the idea but not sure when will be implemented.

Any further development on this one yet Jo?

Drag'n'drop. Mm. So, if I drag "Rack 1" onto the first slot of "Rack 2", what should happen? What does happen is:
1) Track 1 remains named "Rack 1".
2) What was "Rack 2" becomes "Rack 1 Rack".
3) What were "Rack 3" and "Rack 4" become "Rack 2" and "Rack 3".
4) The tracks pointing to what were "Rack 2", "Rack 3" and "Rack 4" rename appropriately.
5) "Rack 1 Rack" gets "Rack 1" in the first slot.

Did you follow that? It's actually right. It looked wrong until I started writing it down!

My first thought on opening the app was "The track names really should not say 'Rack x', that's far too confusing." Then this happened! I don't know... the tracks at least need some indication that the little "Rack" icon and the label next to it (the rack name) are the track's targets and nothing more. Make it clear that it can be changed - at the moment, if you right-click on the icon, there's no indication at all: it appears fixed. It's not clear that it's a drop target. Ideally, drag-n-drop would not be the only way, just a short cut. (In the same way that it's not the only way to open a document - you can drop it into a running copy of the document editor, but you can - and usually do - use File-Open.) It really would be nice if clicking popped up a "Choose target" selector and that "Choose target" was on the context menu. Most people start by clicking on things (or, on touch devices, poking things) before they start dragging. Buttons are more intuitive - but they need to be hinted. Even drop targets could do with good hinting.

pljones wrote:.... It really would be nice if clicking popped up a "Choose target" selector and that "Choose target" was on the context menu.. ...
+1

After using MuLab 3 almost daily during the past year, allocating a rack to a track by "right-click the track -> choose target target module" had become second nature, and I'm now only slowly getting used to the new proceedure in MuLab 4, of dragging racks to tracks !

Still extremely pleased with M4 though.

Les J.

jazzdoktorn wrote:This multiscreen support is great!
Thank you.
I've noticed a lot of you mentioning how great the multiscreen support is, but I have always liked the multiscreen even in M3. Can someone tell me if there is anything different in M4

Thanks,

funk01

mutools wrote: So M4.1 also contains an integrated movie recorder with which you can record all your interactions together with all sound that is going out of MuLab.
This is handy for creating MuLab demos and tutorials for on YouTube etc. I'll use this myself too to make more muvies soon ;)

Some basic info about the muvie recorder:

First of all, currently it's only available in the Windows version.
The function is currently only available by using a shortcut so assign a shortcut to "Toggle App Movie Recording".
The first time you'll get the option to choose a codec.
Your choice is stored in MuLab/User/Settings/AppMovieRecorder.Txt
If you wat to choose another codec, delete this textfile and you'll get the choice again.
By default a 1280x720 screen is recorded. That's why MuLab automaticaly rearranges the window(s).
You can set another size via that same setup file:
ScreenSize=W,H
The resulting AVI files are saved in the MuLab/User/AppMovies folder
I've tested uploading such video to YouTube and it works fine.
Please let me know whether it works fine on your system and if anything should be improved.
I want to keep it basic though because so many other things to do, but i'm open to some necessary finetuning.

Some tip about the codec:
Personally i very much like CamStudio Lossless Codec: http://sourceforge.net/projects/camstud ... .4-w32.zip
It's free, it's easy to install and it delivers perfect screen quality, because it's a lossless compression.
Ok, the resulting video files are larger, also because the audio is stored as plain 16 bit stereo (not mp3).
So the resulting video file is rather large but high-quality.
This has the advantage that the video file is perfectly editable in other software without adding extra (de)compression noise.
And when you upload it to YouTube it might take a bit more time, but that's only needed once, and then the online muvie is high-quality too :)

Ok, that's it for now.

Looking forward to your feedback on M4.1.

Cheers!
I don't understand how to use the videorecorder in Mulab ?

Return to “MUTOOLS”