CPU consuption and multicore support

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the experiences with the consumption of CPU ? I made a session with 3 (!) track (MuDrum, Bass, piano) and 1 x MuVerb and my task manager shows one of my core on 70% ... MuLab CPU meter shows about 60%. I have Phenom II 6core, 3,8 GHz. 12 GB RAM. Compared with Reaper is it very CPU hungry.

M4 is 1 core for audio processing 1 core for graphics and user interaction.
The hopefully upcoming multicore would solve this.

Really ? :?:

Then is MuLab rather expensive.
Mux sounds good, but otherwise the application is useless for me ..

Reaper is for 50$ and has super multiprocessing support :-o

reaper is cool. mulab is cool too.

MuLab IS MODULAR Reaper is not.
MuLab is simpler and Yet it does the job, and FAST!
Reaper is Complex, powerful but, IMHO, painful to work with. MuLab is a joy to work with.
MuLab IS NOT expensive, Reaper IS LOW priced...
MuLab will be Multicore like Reaper
MuLab Modular workflow is no match for Reaper

Just a point of view from a Reaper exUser :shrug:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I repeat the high priority challenge of giving MuLab a multi-core audio engine asap. I'll first release MUX VST though. (and MuVerb II VST in front)
The works on these VST versions are going well. The forthcoming MuLab 4.1 release is mainly a consequence of these VST works, combined with some essential extras, fixes and tunings.

liquidsound wrote:Reaper is Complex, powerful but, IMHO, painful to work with. MuLab is a joy to work with.
This. I use Reaper when I have to. I can't actually "think" clearly in Reaper, there's just way, way too much general clutter everywhere, it completely spoils the creative process for me. I use it just for editing NINJAM sessions, because it's got built in support for it and it usually doesn't take a lot of effort.

Composition in MULAB is so much simpler. I start feeling calm/happy/etc. rather than frustrated/cross/etc. Reaper's still worth the money. As is MULAB. Different tools for different jobs.

And please always remember as a workaround till MuLab supports multicore CPU's:

You can "add" Reaper (or FL Studio or Ableton Live) always as a Rewire slave to MuLab and like this you can use the best of both worlds with the advantage, that Reaper (or the others) would use the free CPU cores so that you can insert CPU intensive VST/i's into Reaper...

Other benefits atm would be REX support, audio timestretching and via virtual Midi ports the ability to record the output from Midi FX or midifiles (via the preview function of Reapers Media Browser) into MuLab till there is an event recorder...

I know, many people don't like Rewire, but in this case it is a perfect solution for now, but for the future too, keeping in mind, that never ever a single host will offer you all features you would like to use in certain productions...there will be always great features of other products you would like to have in MuLab as well...
Last edited by Trancit on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And only to clarify this thematic for every reader, who will perhaps missunderstand this:
markuc wrote:... I made a session with 3 (!) track (MuDrum, Bass, piano) and 1 x MuVerb and my task manager shows one of my core on 70% ... MuLab CPU meter shows about 60%. I have Phenom II 6core, 3,8 GHz. 12 GB RAM...
I am the creator of the demo song used in the MuLab 4 Intro video...

This song used a lot more as mentioned by markuc and takes only about 45% (without any bouncing) of my quite aged Q6600, which runs only @2.4GHz...

You can always use patches, which will drive your CPU nuts with only a few voices and this problem you'll notice too e.g. in Reaper, because most of the available VST/i's are not multicore capable, means they run on a single core even in a multicore supporting host like Reaper...Multicore support is not always the solution...

Trancit wrote:And only to clarify this thematic for every reader, who will perhaps missunderstand this:
markuc wrote:... I made a session with 3 (!) track (MuDrum, Bass, piano) and 1 x MuVerb and my task manager shows one of my core on 70% ... MuLab CPU meter shows about 60%. I have Phenom II 6core, 3,8 GHz. 12 GB RAM...
I am the creator of the demo song used in the MuLab 4 Intro video...

This song used a lot more as mentioned by markuc and takes only about 45% (without any bouncing) of my quite aged Q6600, which runs only @2.4GHz...

You can always use patches, which will drive your CPU nuts with only a few voices and this problem you'll notice too e.g. in Reaper, because most of the available VST/i's are not multicore capable, means they run on a single core even in a multicore supporting host like Reaper...Multicore support is not always the solution...
Correct!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

mutools wrote:... I'll first release MUX VST though. (and MuVerb II VST in front)
Please don't forget MuDrum...it's a great and flexible drum instrument and there are not many good ones out there...

Compared with the features of MuDrum in combination with MUX, there would be only one competitor out there (and this one doesn't come even close to all the modular possibilities of your combi): MDrummer from Melda Productions...

The rest have a different target group (e.g. reproduction of pure acoustic drums or complete production workstations like Maschine or Spark), are too "heavy" and overbloated or too simple like Poise...

I cannot find a really good drum instrument out there atm, which I really like...

Trancit wrote:Please don't forget MuDrum...
MUX internal and VST patches will be compatible (Jo has said). MUX internal patches can have any MULAB builtin plugin. I guess that means you'll be able to have a MUDRUM in a VST MUX patch, at least.

Trancit: Congratulation, very nice demo ! This is the reason why I bought MuLab - very good sound. But I am very disappointed in MuLab's DAW possibilities - fades/crossfades way, quantization possibilities, punch in/out for recording continuation, no audio editing etc.

In my demo i use only MuLab's instruments ... no vst or vsti.

It is true that my system buffer size is very small, but in Reaper have cca 120track template session, 7 instances of Kontakt, Battery, Superior Drummer etc. and task manager shows about 30 percent

I hope MUX VSTi will be the solution for me, rewire is useless, because MuLab can work as master only (?)

Do you now, how will be priced ?

Thank you for all opinions :)

markuc wrote: Trancit: Congratulation, very nice demo ! This is the reason why I bought MuLab - very good sound.
Thx a lot, but it's not me, it's Jo's genius, which made MuLab's internal sound that good and he finetuned the song too, to make it more modern
markuc wrote:But I am very disappointed in MuLab's DAW possibilities - fades/crossfades way, quantization possibilities, punch in/out for recording continuation, no audio editing etc.
MuLab cannot compete with the traditional hosts when it comes to advanced audio features...it strength is the internal modular engine with it's possibilities and very good sound
markuc wrote:I hope MUX VSTi will be the solution for me, rewire is useless, because MuLab can work as master only (?)
Yes to both... I think the MUX VST/i will offer a lot to all the people, who need a more powerful sequencer and yes, MuLab can act only as Rewire master...
markuc wrote:Do you now, how will be priced ?
Only Jo can answer this question, but I think it will be around the 50,-€ even it is by far more worth...time will tell...

Thank You for all answers, now we have to wait ...

MuLab's sound possibilities are very interesting, synth sound editing quite difficult - to many windows :)

we have to wait.

Return to “MUTOOLS”