Plugin formats? This is the end...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought AAX was another DirectX extension. I swear I tricked my other computer into recognizing AAX extension, so I could use plugins in a DAW.

FaX wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote: Other host developers? Is it?

Of course not - they don't do CV / gate patching / audio spider merging / splitting and use a specific device called a Combinator do they. :help:
That's why I wondered.

whyterabbyt wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:Anyone who makes RE's?
Im not sure I get your point, then. Could you explain? Do you mean that its a good thing that other developers who can make stuff for non-proprietry formats can now make them for even more proprietry formats too?
There was a misunderstanding. I corrected it in my original post :wink:

T-CM11 wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:Anyone who makes RE's?
Im not sure I get your point, then. Could you explain? Do you mean that its a good thing that other developers who can make stuff for non-proprietry formats can now make them for even more proprietry formats too?
There was a misunderstanding. I corrected it in my original post :wink:
sorry, i never saw the edit until after I'd posted.

Makes me wonder.

How many 'moribund' vst formats there are.... :?:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

I think more than anything if Props can make that Prop Shop work for RE's then surely at least a few devs will consider following with thier own shop. The 30% cut from anything in the shop may be too tempting a revenue stream for other hosts devs (bigger ones) to resist regardless of fragmentation.

It is certainly not the end, I will be amazed if nobody else gives it a go in the future :(

It seems the audio software market is moving very quickly towards primarily making money from additional content, e.g NI give away Reaktor Player and then sell spark, mouth etc to run in it.

What better way to control your premium content than develop a proprietary format which has to be sold through your own marketplace to ensure you get a cut of everything that is sold, such as RE.

For me as a user, I think it is a disappointing direction the industry is heading in.

Reaper has some own VST extensions as well. We did lose MAS though...
http://www.kvraudio.com/wiki/?id=MAS

Here's how I see it: some developers whose products I enjoy will spend less time on products I'm able to use.

EDIT: Oh, and prices may go up because of increased development time and/or the hiring of extra programmers.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Keith99 wrote:I think the problem was VST 3, Steinberg messed up the release of that, if it had been welcomed by developers etc. it could have been a new standard
So the blame is on the only ones that offer an open format...

I would not say 'blame' no, they just misjudged the release as can be seen by the slow adoption. I am very much behind the VST format as the standard myself.

standalone wrote:
Keith99 wrote:I think the problem was VST 3, Steinberg messed up the release of that, if it had been welcomed by developers etc. it could have been a new standard
They aren't the only open format, just the most widely accepted.

Just say no!!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

gpunk wrote:
standalone wrote:
They aren't the only open format, just the most widely accepted.
Open and multi-platform.

If only Steinberg had made VST3 less intimidating. What were they thinking?

And I'm pissed that Propellerheads still don't make a VST version of Reason. Third-party plug-ins are mostly irrelevant with ReWire, and I should just be able to use Reason as a VSTi. So much easier. :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”