What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Official Evolution Update Progress Thread

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com

Moderator: Gregjazz

dickiefunk
KVRAF

2317 posts since 22 Mar, 2006, from cornwall

Postby dickiefunk; Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 pm

That sounds fantastic!! Did you use Cherry Bass aswell?
Gregjazz
"The" Jazz

3849 posts since 17 Aug, 2004, from California, United States

Postby Gregjazz; Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 am

Yeah, it's Cherry Electric Bass, with the muted fingered articulation. I layered Iconic Bass Jaco an octave up for that octaver type sound.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

J-Rokujuushi
KVRist

136 posts since 15 Nov, 2011

Postby J-Rokujuushi; Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:32 pm

What drums did you use? I'm loving that snare with the long decay in the second half.

Loving the guitars too, of course, but I'm really jealous of all the beta testers so I'm trying to keep my mind off of that for now. :wink:
EvilDragon
KVRAF

10012 posts since 6 Jan, 2009, from Croatia

Postby EvilDragon; Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Knowing Greg, he used Addictive Drums. :)
Gregjazz
"The" Jazz

Postby Gregjazz; Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:32 am

J-Rokujuushi wrote:What drums did you use? I'm loving that snare with the long decay in the second half.

The acoustic drums are indeed Addictive Drums, using the jazz brushes. I just picked up the brushes and sticks with their buy-one-get-one-free deal, so now I have all the Adpaks except for the electronic drums. I know I've said this before, but Addictive Drums is one one of those drum libraries you just keep coming back to. It's very flexible, sounds great, and loads super fast. It's really a dependable plugin too, at least in XP and Windows 7--never run into any bugs or anything.

But to address your question about the snare in the second half, I used the electronic drumset from the Cakewalk TTS-1 General MIDI plugin in Sonar X1. It's been included in Sonar for a while now, and it comes in handy from time to time. For that long decay snare sound, apply a reverb (I used the Sonitus reverb in Sonar X1) that has a bunch of predelay. Make sure the reverb room size is set high as well as the diffusion to insure that the reverb is as smooth as possible, like a plate reverb. Then apply a hard compressor on top of the reverb. It's similar to a gated reverb, but for that you'd use a send for the reverb and gate, so that the gate only affects the reverb and not the dry signal of the electronic drums themselves.

Of course, they're not the first band to do it, but the long decay drum sound was inspired by Wildlife Control's song "Ohai (Do I Know You?)". They do a pretty cool mix of live instruments and purposefully synthetic-sounding (in the digital sense, even) instruments.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

J-Rokujuushi
KVRist

136 posts since 15 Nov, 2011

Postby J-Rokujuushi; Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:11 pm

Cool, thanks for the tips! I might try using that in a future track.
Joel232
KVRer

25 posts since 14 Aug, 2011

Postby Joel232; Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 am

Are we any closer to the update being released?

Gregjazz
"The" Jazz

Postby Gregjazz; Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:14 am

I should finish tuning the last of the samples today, so the next step is uploading everything for the beta testers! Although I made several tuning passes with the original release, I noticed that there were still a few out-of-tune samples, so I gave it a thorough run-through using a spectral tuner.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Moonlight
KVRist

40 posts since 1 Apr, 2010

Postby Moonlight; Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Cool! Can't wait! :)
Joel232
KVRer

25 posts since 14 Aug, 2011

Postby Joel232; Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:23 am

Gregjazz wrote:I should finish tuning the last of the samples today, so the next step is uploading everything for the beta testers! Although I made several tuning passes with the original release, I noticed that there were still a few out-of-tune samples, so I gave it a thorough run-through using a spectral tuner.

Ok wicked. Will the beta just be for electric guitar users or acoustic as well?

Cheers
Gregjazz
"The" Jazz

Postby Gregjazz; Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:21 am

Initially the electric guitar, but as soon as it's done, I'll be working on making the acoustic guitar version--which will no doubt have its own beta testing, though I don't expect that to take very long since ideally the engine will have already been worked over during the electric guitar beta.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Gregjazz
"The" Jazz

Postby Gregjazz; Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 am

Quick update: the beta testers are now hacking away on it. There'll be some things I need to fix, but after nearly a year of working on this, it's cool to finally be in this stage.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Sequent
KVRAF

2547 posts since 13 Feb, 2001, from What do you care? :)

Postby Sequent; Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:16 am

Great news, Greg! :)
Spacey stuff: www.myspace.com/sequent7
Cloudy stuff: www.soundcloud.com/sequent7

Available on iTunes and at Amazon.
kgdrum
KVRist

196 posts since 12 Sep, 2005, from NYC

Postby kgdrum; Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 am

WOW! Great News indeed,looking forward to this! ;-)
MacPro 3.1 (2.8 Quad)24gig,OSX10.83, DP8.05 RME FF800,Great River ME-1NV,a few mics ,NI Komplete,numerous VI's & plugins vDrums TD20 expanded,Superior 2 etc,,UAD2...Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata,hard drives galore.
stpete111
KVRist

240 posts since 16 Jan, 2005

Postby stpete111; Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Greg,

I just bought Strawberry yesterday, and then saw this thread. So this just a new engine you're working on? Will it be a free upgrade for me?

Thanks,
Pat
PreviousNext

Moderator: Gregjazz

Return to Orange Tree Samples