Vortex Feature Requests

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to be able to mute notes in the sequencer grid so I could try out patterns without erasing everything or forgetting where something was before I changed/ rearranged it.

I think this came up before, but I'd also like to be able 'select' a subset of notes, kind of like a lasso selection.

Then I could and just move those selected with the 'Shift.'

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Hi Andy,

Vortex with his triggers is excellent tool for live performance. I've some idea for increasing those performance features, that is:

Adding new tab with one or two XY axis pad(S). XY pads are comfortable solution for quick changing many parameters both directly on computers (especially for computers/tablets with touchscreen monitors) and via external Midi/DAW controllers and keyboards. Many keyboards/controllers have touch-pads. On keyboards/controllers without touch-pads it allows on assigning many parameters to only two (X and Y) knobs/faders. I think it could implemented in following way:

1. For each axis should be assigned at least 2 selectable parameters. However, my favorite synth, that is Zebra allows on assigning 8 parameters per axis for each pad (Zebra has 4 pads in performance tab).

2. Allowed parameters controlled by XY pad(s)
- All CC messages
- Vortex Master section parameters
- Internal synth parameters
- TerraNova parameters

3. Each assignable X/Y item should have following settings:
- Parameter selection (e.g. CC)
- 2 range values
- Initial value
- Midi Channel

4. XY settings should be saved to preset.

Don't bother too much it too much, because this is only loose idea.

Janusz
Computer: rack PC, Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB & 500 GB SSD disks, HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM
DAW: Studio One 3 Pro, FL Studio Producer 20, Bitwig 2
Hardware: Yamaha 01X + 2 x Yamaha i88X, Nektar Panorama P4, Behringer BCR2000,

FR: Sequencer page renaming. As i'm using it more as a multimbral drum sequencer it would be great to be able to name the page for each channel, also for instrument parts thinking about it!

Also i was thinking an omnichord mode would great for chords and stabs and more timing divisions to create staccato notes or sustained chords.

It seems with the volume there isn't much range between quiet and loud, above 5% it is at full volume all the way.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

I'd like to see a 'sync' to host feature/ option ... so the sequences would time exactly to the bar measures in a DAW.

Prado

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I also think the sync to host is a great idea, if possible.

I would like to see the behavior of the CC sequencer changed from variation by note, the current setup, to variation by grid.

Why? This would permit filter sweeps on evolving pads. You could tie a single long note across the grid and then use the CC sequencer to make changes to that note's sound source while it is playing.

It seems to me that this should be doable, and if so, I can't see any advantage to the current setup, since even if playing many notes in the sequence, you could draw in the same curve if it went across the whole grid.

Como

Andy,

I know you've been busy!

We have been, too ... and there are a fair amount of recent feature requests.

I hope you have a chance to comment on some of these feature requests here on page 3 ... whether they are 'on the v1.1 road map,' possible to likely in the future development post v1.1, or not likely given the underlying code and architecture of Vortex.

I've got a couple more.

Would it be possible to have an 'unsnap' feature so notes could be drawn that don't have to end on a grid marker?

Would it be possible to add a grid division option so we could do things like 12/8 or 3/4 time? I'd be happy to have this for a global option for the whole instrument (all 12 sequencers), it wouldn't be necessary to do it on an individual sequencer basis in my opinion.

Thanks!

Como

Tthe first thing I want to address is swing, followed by the sub sequences.

Sync mode is already there, if I remember correctly, choose hard sync and that should tie to the main sequencer clock as far as I remember :)

The volume is probably down to the compressor/limiter, switch it off and see if that helps.

All good ideas, I will try and explore them all when development continues. FRs can stay on this thread.

Astralp wrote:Sync mode is already there, if I remember correctly, choose hard sync and that should tie to the main sequencer clock as far as I remember :)
I'll double check on hard sync ... I thought it just forced any sequence to run synced to what ever Vortex sequence was already running ... not to the host sequencer.

When you say "main sequencer clock," are you referring to Vortex or the host sequencer?

Como

Hello Everybody ... I miss you all.:cry:

It's gotten way too quiet around here!
Astralp wrote:Sync mode is already there, if I remember correctly, choose hard sync and that should tie to the main sequencer clock as far as I remember :)
'Hard Sync' mode results in newly triggered sequences syncing with the first played or oldest still running sequence in Vortex itself ... not, as far as I can tell, in my running DAW.

What I am talking about is having Vortex synced to bar and tempo while my DAW is running.

For example, if you had a two bar sequence in Vortex with 'hold' engaged, starting from your DAW at bar one, the sequence would repeat at bars 1, 3, 5, etc. with the normal 16 time base. or, if you engaged the Vortex sequence while at bar 2 of the DAW sequence, it would start playing the second Vortex bar in sync with the DAW sequencer.

This would obviously need some type of different, additional 'hold' switch from the one currently implemented ... or a toggle switch for the current 'hold.'

The idea would be that when the DAW sequencer runs, Vortex runs with it, but individual sequences only play when additionally triggered or 'held.'

This would be fantastic for improvising live against a sequence created in your DAW ... bringing bits of Vortex sequencers in and out against a nice drum and bass track. Or for DJing with a song beatmapped in your DAW sequencer.

Como 8)
Last edited by como baila on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good idea, shouldn't be hard to implement :)

I have started working on the swing functions, but it is very tricky... I should be able to throw some time at it this week. I will probably go with small updates for a while rather than the full on dev phase, that way the features will be coming as they are finished.

Just a curiosity question on Vortex...

Vortex seems to be self sufficient, could you have built it as a "standalone"?
I prefer to use standalones if possible, for one thing, you don't need other DAWs to run it, no compatibility problems etc), or is it a question of what it was built with?

For example, I own sequencers from defective records.
All stand-alones, they still do everything with a virtual midi cable outside of DAW,(Cyclic), or trigger standalone VSTs,or "host" VSTs,(KLEE, M185), or both. They can run Battery 3, Massive, Reaktor 5 etc...
Anyway, it is a great workstation :)

I currently work with Synthedit and so all my code is compiled with it, it doesn't support standalone unfortunately. But the nearest thing is to get Cantabile lite which is basically the same thing for free, plus you can chain other plugins in there too :)

My long term plan is to get to developing with Juce which supports creating standalones, but it has to be financially viable and the amount of time needed to port existing Apps is huge...

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”