Purchasing a vst at the store Vs downloading from an online store?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im wondering what its like when you download a synth, as opposed to buying a tangeable copy at a store with a disc and the manual in the box and what not. what do you do if you want to uninstall and reinstall on a new computer? Do the synth's designers have a manual on the website? I want to get into downloading purchases cause sometimes i find it cheaper than at a vendor.

Most developers give you an executable file that installs the vst or softwware. You can keep this file for later instalations and many of them allow you to download it again at any time.

The differences arise in the copyprotection method, some software requiere virtual or hardware dongles, a USB or small program runing in the background that checks for a "key" to authorize use of the product.

Some others have this in to the software the registration key is entered in to the vst and it never asks for it again.

Most venderos allow more than one instaltion, lets say most allow two computers to run the software at different times and by the same user.
dedication to flying

I really prefer a download version unless there is a huge library that needs to be included. Most often with boxed software you still need to download updates at the time of installation anyhow, and you may as well forgo the packaging, it is a big waste in this day and age, what to speak about the gas and time it takes to go to the store. Shopping online also you can find the best deal in a matter of minutes. For physical instruments like a guitar a music store still is useful, but for software I don't see the point.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Also many developers have demos that you can download and test the software for a period of time or a limited version.
dedication to flying

so if i download something from lets say native instruments or best service, and a year later my laptop breaks and i get a new one, i can just go to the website, log in and download the program again?

Prototype wrote:so if i download something from lets say native instruments or best service, and a year later my laptop breaks and i get a new one, i can just go to the website, log in and download the program again?
Well, that depends on the developer, some let you download versions forever, some only once, so it is good practice to backup every piece of software you buy, and store away the passwords securely.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Prototype wrote:so if i download something from lets say native instruments or best service, and a year later my laptop breaks and i get a new one, i can just go to the website, log in and download the program again?
Just to repeat braj's post, it goes without saying that of course you have to backup your downloaded purchases!

Make one backup on an external hard disk and another one on a CD/DVD (just like the one you get when purchasing a boxed product).

Consider the saying that digital information that isn't backupped on at least two different media doesn't exist. Take it seriously!

And, like braj says, keep careful notes of your log in names, passwords, serial numbers, and so on and so forth.

Besides, audio software is updated often and the boxed product isn't, so even if you buy a boxed synth or effect, be prepared to go to the vendor's website and download/install the latest upgrade.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Boxed means having to wait. Good, cause sometimes you get it cheaper. Everything I've bought boxed always has to be updated anyway. I know a couple that were like, go here and download the latest version. So basically it like waiting for your serial number. Is good for huge files though.

We've never done boxed versions for various reasons. Giving up 60 to 90 (!) percent of the revenue for distributor/retail chain means that boxed versions need to be considerably more expensive, or considerably more units have to be moved. Which may entail a support nightmare (we have all heard the stories that the distributor's promise to do support is nothing else than passing on the emails to the developer)

The other thing is this: If we pressed a few thousand CDs with the current software, chances are good that there's already a new version ready for download once the box is sold. Thus the first thing the customer would do is... download the latest version anyway.

For those reasons we more and more perceive the habit to fill boxes just with a voucher code and a download link. No CD, no manual, nothing else. This becomes actually the same thing as buying stuff online. Only, you go in a store to pay for it, and you get a box with download instructions.

Sooner or later shops will have little plastic cards on sale, just like the ones for pre-paid telephone recharges. There'll be a number printed on it under some coat that needs to be rubbed off, and that will replace the credit card when buying online. The good thing about this is, it lets us put stuff in the shops with (hopefully) qualified people who can demonstrate it. And because of the small form factor it allows for us to do our own distribution. We can cut out the warehouse, the distributor, the high manufacturing costs, high postage costs etc. and still be in Guitar Center with some sort of physical product.

Or, as it also looks right now, Guitar Center etc. will offer to buy stuff online for you, while you're in the shop.

Just some random thoughts...

Guitar Center is great. They didn't have a boxed copy of something I wanted, so they shipped it from a store in another town, at no cost to me. Still, I got the box, but in this case I had to install software, then update.

Hi,

I don't even have a CD-drive anymore since these new motherboards only use SATA connectors, and it feels like I don't maybe ever need one again. Maybe USB CD/DVD drive at most.

I have made a folder for audio things where I have backups for Reaper related stuff, installer for it and Zebra.

Gonna put this stuff to USB stick or maybe get external hardware for backup purposes when those get a bit cheaper again. Same I would do when I reformat or get new computer. Also, USB stuff is faster than CDs, I think.

Serial you get in e-mail, instead of sticker in the box.

Oh well that explains everything i didnt even consider the possibility of backing up your downloads. So youre telling me once you have it downloaded to your hard drive you can do whatever you want with it? If i wanted to store it on a CD or a flash drive so i can lock it up somewhere and not lose it, im free to do that? I didnt even think to ask that, i just assumed there would be some form of protection against that, because of the risk of people giving out copies of the download to th :o eir friends? :-o

I prefer boxed they look nice :) and i dont need so much make backups. ps. i have only few software what i needed and comes with box. List is even short i think. and i talk really needed list...

I love the boxes, but they are starting to take up too much room.

osiris wrote:I love the boxes, but they are starting to take up too much room.
My tip is method what i use i buy only things what i Really need. and R is big becouse i want little more weight to this word.

Return to “Instruments”