Studio Electronics Boomstar

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.studioelectronics.com/produc ... s]Boomstar

WOW

I am so glad i did not commit to any desktop synth, this, micromac, new mfb, new pulse... Yay so many choices, now this. If this thing is priced right, it will smoke the new moog stuff and the mini brute.

^ they claim snappy! all analog, the other synths they made had digital envs.

It has xmod, osc sync, so i already like it more than the minibrute spec wise. Still, want to hear it, and know the price. Man my mouth is drooling. I think i might have to get the SEM and the Moog, and i heard a good atc 303 demo recently, man maybe i will get all 4 of them. gah..

I was ready to get a minitaur and a minibrute. So glad i waited, now i get a real synth with 2 osc, tons of modulations and routings, and my choice of filters. Man. SE really knew what i wanted, and what i wanted to pay.

Waht do you think, i really want to buy at least 2 of these, the SEM and the moog models.

I am loving this forum so much more than the other forums out there. People here seem a lot more civilized.

Welcome, DF...er, Hexfix! I agree about the Boomstars - they look more appealing to me than any of the other compact/desktop analog synths thus far announced this year (the new MacBeths sound great too, but are of course more pricey). From the demos I've heard, SE synths have always had pretty lively-sounding oscillators and filters - adding quicker analog envelopes to the mix at this price point seems apt to be a big win.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Know what is cool, no other mono synth since the original minimoog model D has that env fault the attack hold that makes it so snappy and fat, its like full sustain for a tiny bit at the beginning of the sound to make it thump. Yeah they are adding this to the envs so you can finally get that model D attack on something analog that is new.

Hexfix93 wrote:Know what is cool, no other mono synth since the original minimoog model D has that env fault the attack hold that makes it so snappy and fat, its like full sustain for a tiny bit at the beginning of the sound to make it thump.
First of all, that's overrated, and secondly it's very simple to do it with a clipper module in a modular synth (envelope module patched to clipper).

That Boomstar looks nice. Too bad it doesn't have 3 oscillators.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Minimoog model D is not over rated. The model D and sh09 and sh02 are my favorite bass machines for thump and bonk. Its cool to have an option like this.

You say its limited to 2 osc, think about it like this.

1 osc doing multi waves, say saw and sine, then the sub osc, then the other osc doing a detuned saw. Think again, that is basically 3 osc :)

Shy wrote:Too bad it doesn't have 3 oscillators.
Not at all. Osc 1 has dual waveforms, osc 2 has sub sonic range, and there is that sub osc too. I'd say this is more than enough (in fact, there aren't any synths with spec like this at this price range)! Just note that the sub osc specification has changed from what is on the website.

edit: cross post with hexfix93 (morning DF).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Ah I know, I can't complain at all about the features considering the price range. It's pretty exceptional already. A third oscillator still would have made this much more interesting for me since it would allow many more types of sounds, especially when doing "crazy" stuff with two oscillators and still having a third one for a "note".

Hexfix93: my comment was just about the clipped envelope, Model D is obviously awesome.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Hexfix93 wrote:I am loving this forum so much more than the other forums out there. People here seem a lot more civilized.
Lol. I'm guessing you haven't spent much time here.

Acid Mitch wrote:
Hexfix93 wrote:I am loving this forum so much more than the other forums out there. People here seem a lot more civilized.
Lol. I'm guessing you haven't spent much time here.
...that's cruel, I'm nice :) just everyone else with a chip or ten :D

I have yet to bash heads with anyone on here though, its nice so far..

http://www.velvetacidchrist.com/2012/03 ... onosynths/

My virtial paper battle of new monosynths might rub people the wrong way though.

Hexfix93 wrote:Know what is cool, no other mono synth since the original minimoog model D has that env fault the attack hold that makes it so snappy and fat, its like full sustain for a tiny bit at the beginning of the sound to make it thump. Yeah they are adding this to the envs so you can finally get that model D attack on something analog that is new.
Hexfix93

Just for completeness, DSI Tempest has 'peak hold' to delay the transition from attack to decay.

Have fun with your GAS.

Mark

I did not know that about the DSI.

Still, that's DCOs. So will not quit get into old moog territory.

Hexfix93 wrote:Know what is cool, no other mono synth since the original minimoog model D has that env fault the attack hold that makes it so snappy and fat, its like full sustain for a tiny bit at the beginning of the sound to make it thump. Yeah they are adding this to the envs so you can finally get that model D attack on something analog that is new.
Actually the MFB Kraftzwerg has this and it is completely analog.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”