IK Multimedia ARC2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No public ETA yet, this was just a sneak peak/preview of the great things to come.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Compyfox wrote:I think it's for compensation. On another screenshot you could customise EQ courves or something like that.

I still feel this rather being a dot-udate than an actual upgrade. But then again, that's happening to a lot of tools as of late.
I guess the green curve is the target then and the white is the compensation, just wondering why so much low end is needed but it's probably for demo purposes. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:
Compyfox wrote:I still feel this rather being a dot-udate than an actual upgrade.
This is definitely an upgrade. ARC 2 is upgraded to the most powerful up-to-date MultEQ XT32 engine, and the result is higher resolution and accuracy with fewer measurements, and greatly improved bass correction.

Version 2 is taking ARC to a whole new level.
Bless your hearts, you guys really are the kings of hype.

Arglebargle wrote:Bless your hearts, you guys really are the kings of hype.
Well I know the bass curve in that picture was quite hyped but I don't think it was THAT bad since you weren't given the context :shrug:

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:All the information we have so far is in the news piece about it and Brian said he'd look into it so I'll have him circle back around and follow up with you. We've made public what we had on hand in those pictures, just as much as if you were there.
Unfortunately, I wasn't at Musikmesse since it would have cost me a fortune yet again just to participate. I still say "keep quiet until you know more". Everything else just looks like as hyping. Just look at the recent posts, Peter. First Brian, ObiK and you know nothing, and suddenly Brian and ObiK are all like "this does this, and that does that".

Er... huh?

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:I can tell you that surround isn't going to be there initially but it will be in there. There are great improvements, we went to Audyssey with all issues and improvements users felt were needed (as well as what we thought too) and they came through.
Can you guarantee that?
Don't get me wrong, but I asked the very same question back in the day at Musikmesse "will Surround be Implemented" and the IKM team said "not now, but eventually in a future update". Five years later comes v2 and it's not implmenented either but "in the future".

I see two scenarios:
1) ARC 2 is still made for stereo. So if you have a Surround setup and you add an additional module for measurements, you mess too much with the code (troubles inbound)

2) ARC 2 will be available in two versions: stereo and surround. They will be sold seperately of course.

Thing is still, where the customer ideas, or most of them, really ported? So far Brian said something about fewer measurements. But were the "details" (smaller GUI mode, auto off while rendering, driver-mode, etc) taken into consideration as well?

jjsr wrote:would like to see IK doing some good headphone monitiring like the
Focusrite VRM Box or 112dB Redline Monitor (i don't know seeing anything in future of them). Maybe as implementation in ARC2
This would actually be a great implementation - but please sans pre-set "rooms". Though measuring the headphone cones might be fun (then again, there are DIY manuals out there with old CD's and a mic put through the center-hole which is then attached to one of the cones for measuring).

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:This is definitely an upgrade. ARC 2 is upgraded to the most powerful up-to-date MultEQ XT32 engine, and the result is higher resolution and accuracy with fewer measurements, and greatly improved bass correction.

See what I mean? Hype and marketing babble. ARC already used the MultEQ engine from Audyssey and I'd expect no less in an upgrade that at least the Algo was updated (in terms of T-Racks Classics, it happened as well). But everything else around it looks like a dot-upgrade (sans the three volume dials now, which I still think are overkill if you have a monitor controller already).

A higher resolution and less measurement points is not an improvement IMO, it's a logical evolution (considering the competition like ConEQ). Again, it's all in the details.

Let's do it this way:
If the IKM representatives on KVR can't tell us anything about an ETA and/or prices - can you at least tell us "when" we get more/new info?

A rough timeline would be nice. I'm sure upgrading won't be cheap, so funds need to come up first in order to do so.

So far we don't even know if ARC2 hits shelves in April still, May (NAMM Moscow in Mid May), June, July (Summer NAMM), August (which would mean an upgrade and purchase flood due to the Summer NAMM as well as most other developers releasing major versions) or even September.

A little more info and a little less hype would be great. We already know what ARC is capable off, no need to honey-mouth us old cats. :tu:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

haha, compy.........you are like

though I'm not saying it's bad (unless you live next door :hihi: )

hibidy wrote:haha, compy.........you are like

though I'm not saying it's bad (unless you live next door :hihi: )

I muted him a long time ago. :D

I asked myself often: Is he that agressive and bullheaded in daily grind, too? :roll:

@Compy: Go outside and talk a long 2h walk every second day and it will give you the neccessary stress relief. (might save you from a heart attack...)

8)

I think compyfox is right on with his posts, and look forward with much anticipation to more information. I never understood the point of the teaser without any real information - release date at the very least.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

CompyFox - I stated that the news link that Brian posted contained all the information and that Brian was circling back after talking to the Product Manager for more information. How does clicking a link and waiting for Brian's additional information in any way require you having been in Frankfurt??

We'll have a release date when he have one, it isn't set yet. If we share things with KVR, we regret it. If we don't, we get yelled at. Damned if you do... Damned if you don't.

hibidy wrote:though I'm not saying it's bad (unless you live next door :hihi: )
I actually don't like dogs and my SPL level doesn't even go near as high in case I go into rage-mode. I'm not agressive, but definitely stubborn on a per-daily base.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:CompyFox - I stated that the news link that Brian posted contained all the information and that Brian was circling back after talking to the Product Manager for more information. How does clicking a link and waiting for Brian's additional information in any way require you having been in Frankfurt??
Then this counts to traditional misunderstanding from my side. I've been to the Facebook (and I don't like Facebook, aren't even a member) site, I've been to the IKM News page.

It sure is surprising that you three barely have any information on these topics as representatives of IKM. Still, in written form (and in a foreign language at that) it's sometimes hard to really get certain (written) sentences. A simple "we don't have info yet, but we will get back" might have helped - from one person, and not one stating this'n'that, then the other representatives chiming in with one saying "there is good to come" (actually pushing the thread with saying nothing at all) and another one "nothing yet, but I whipped his/her butt to come back in here with more info". Come to think of it, musikmachine did answer certain questions as well (I think he's been to the fair).

Anyway - as another user said earlier - at least an ETA would have been nice. But that one is not on the news page either. It is interesting news for current users, but nothing to go haywire.

I think in this case a regular report might have backed up the news entry (like: in turn of events we present ARC and here is video blog from magazine X on YT), now I have to go on info-hunt myself on various pages since, well you guessed it, the representatives are just as much in the dark as I am.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:We'll have a release date when he have one, it isn't set yet. If we share things with KVR, we regret it. If we don't, we get yelled at. Damned if you do... Damned if you don't.
Two sides of the medal actually. I don't blame you for it, I'm just stating what I feel is not really okay. But until this point I didn't know that all of you know nothing and can't do anything about it.

Guess I have to wait.

Though I do have the impression like with the last version of ARC, that it will be revealed/sold at a later state at a fair. The next one is in MOSCOW, Russia in May, though I more expect Summer NAMM in July. Let's just hope that the pictures from Musikmesse were from early Betas and that there will be drastic improvements by the time it hits shelves.

Until then I go info-hunting myself. Maybe there is something impressive to find after all.

EDIT:
Finding anything useful regarding Musikmesse sure is a pain. It's as if there are barely any reporters going there anymore. Pity...
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

whilst i think compyfox might come along as typically german - i do agree, not because i am half-german myself and live here but because he speaks the truth.
Get to the facts, boys!. k-v-r ain't your usual public. nuff said.
no sig

Compyfox wrote:
Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:This is definitely an upgrade. ARC 2 is upgraded to the most powerful up-to-date MultEQ XT32 engine, and the result is higher resolution and accuracy with fewer measurements, and greatly improved bass correction.

See what I mean? Hype and marketing babble. ARC already used the MultEQ engine from Audyssey and I'd expect no less in an upgrade that at least the Algo was updated (in terms of T-Racks Classics, it happened as well). But everything else around it looks like a dot-upgrade (sans the three volume dials now, which I still think are overkill if you have a monitor controller already).

A higher resolution and less measurement points is not an improvement IMO, it's a logical evolution (considering the competition like ConEQ). Again, it's all in the details.
Higher resolution (4x higher!) is not an improvement? Tough crowd! :lol:

ARC 1.x uses MultEQ, not MultEQ XT32. MultEQ XT32 is not merely an update to the algorithm, but actually the flagship of the MultEQ range which includes 2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32. We can't simply swap one version out for a different licensing option in a regular update. I think you are sophisticated enough to understand that, Compy.

And FWIW, what I said I didn't have all the details for was specifically the software-only upgrade pricing and the release date - because these are both as of yet still undetermined. But it might be wise for anyone who doesn't have ARC yet to take advantage of the $199.99/€149.99 sale price before ARC 2 drops.

Bear in mind, all we posted were some photos from a tradeshow on Facebook. We haven't posted any official announcement regarding ARC 2 on KVR or anywhere else. In fact, We didn't even start this thread.

loopdon wrote:whilst i think compyfox might come along as typically german - i do agree, not because i am half-german myself and live here but because he speaks the truth.
By half German do you mean you ate at der Wienerschnitzel once?

I've given IK tons of (and sometimes well deserved) hell sometimes myself. I promise I have no German in me.

Calvin and Hobbes, clever. ;)

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote: Higher resolution (4x higher!) is not an improvement? Tough crowd! :lol:

ARC 1.x uses MultEQ, not MultEQ XT32. MultEQ XT32 is not merely an update to the algorithm, but actually the flagship of the MultEQ range which includes 2EQ, MultEQ, MultEQ XT, and MultEQ XT32. We can't simply swap one version out for a different licensing option in a regular update. I think you are sophisticated enough to understand that, Compy.
I do understand that and I didn't tone that down. It is a logical evolution after all - and good that Audyssey was behind that as well.

I'm still curious about the "less measurements". ConEQ for example uses a constant tone and you literally swing the mic around in front of the speakers. I've seen other systes where you also utilize one measurement point (the KRK Ergo and JBL MSC1). Both have their advantages and weaknesses. I think we will have to wait and see what's going on as soon as it's released.

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:And FWIW, what I said I didn't have all the details for was specifically the software-only upgrade pricing and the release date - because these are both as of yet still undetermined. But it might be wise for anyone who doesn't have ARC yet to take advantage of the $199.99/€149.99 sale price before ARC 2 drops.
Since I've barely found any info regarding ARC 2 (actually none), I've at least found the thread over on your board that also recommends buying ARC 1 now. There were also questions regarding a possible grace period and upgrade prices. That might be interesting to know as well, but even there you couldn't give an answer (which is logical).

Like I earlier said, there are still a couple of NAMM's coming up, then there is the SAE Alumni convention in autumn and IIRC another AES meeting. Plenty of pissible dates for a release.

As long as it will be released, and as long as it is stable/bugfree with fair upgrade paths (I think along the lines of 149USD sans microphone if the bundled version will be 399-499USD again), I'm cool with it.

I can't give people who don't have ARC yet any recommendation to either jump on that deal now or not. But it sure is a drastic discount compared to the initial price.

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:Bear in mind, all we posted were some photos from a tradeshow on Facebook. We haven't posted any official announcement regarding ARC 2 on KVR or anywhere else. In fact, We didn't even start this thread.
That is correct, Brian. But I somewhat critisize the tone of the posts from side of the IKM representatives. Next time I just take it with a grain of salt. But I hope we can both agree on the fact that as long as there are no usable data, it's kind of useless to hype a certain new tool.

It's not T-Racks or AT3.x we're talking about with Soundcloud clips and 50x50 pixel screenshots, or yet another iThing gimmick. :shrug:

(Personal) SUMMARY:
I'd personally love to see the following improvements in ARC 2:

- the possibility to resize the GUI down to just the meter and maybe even change them to the usual suspecs

- an automatic recognition in whether or not I'm rendering a song, here e.g. SKnote and Slate Digital offered a great solution: Normal Mode while playback, certain ammount Oversampling while rendering

- I'd love to see the long promised Surround mode. It doesn't need to have 11.1 (3D Audio) from the start, but 5.1 or 6.1 like most hosts can offer as of late might be great.

- and as personal FR: I'd love to see both IKM and Audyssey either creating a "driver" version of ARC to use more than just a host with it (for example MultiMedia Applications/Gaming) or a small dedicated hardware device that loads the correction "in it". Much like a cut down version of the Audyssey hardware modules or the JBL MSC1, just sans volume knob, microphone connection, etc. Just balanced inputs/outputs and a USB slot to "load" the presets and control the device (a computer is still needed) but else it's dedicated. This would actually take load off of the PC and make ARC independent. I'd definitely support that. I don't know however how well that would sell - especially if I take a look at the once sold foot pedal for AT.

Everything else is a thing to debate - then again, all we know is that ARC 2 offers an updated algorithm and additional volume knobs/a dim knob for those that don't use monitoring devices (monitor room control knob on a console for example).

So we have to wait and see... :tu:

hibidy wrote:
loopdon wrote:whilst i think compyfox might come along as typically german - i do agree, not because i am half-german myself and live here but because he speaks the truth.
By half German do you mean you ate at der Wienerschnitzel once?

Note to self: Don't post when drunk! :)

No, really i am half german/ half british.

I still think IKMultimedia should tone down there marketing-lingo, somewhat.

I've given IK tons of (and sometimes well deserved) hell sometimes myself. I promise I have no German in me.
no sig

Return to “Effects”