klangbong - an exploration of FM drums

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm in the middle making an all-in-one kind-of-self-generating FM drum and bass machine in Plogue and I thought it might be interesting to hear the kinds of sounds and beats it has been squirting out during these early stages.

All the FM instruments are handmade from basic building blocks, as are the simple sequencers which are set to mutate slowly every so-many phrase loops.

http://soundcloud.com/cinningbao/klangbong

Only EQ and subtle compression have been applied.

This is harsh, raw digital music, and I like the way it hurts my ears.

edit-- part2

This seems to have generated quite a few listens so here is the second part; more ever-so-slightly-less-mechanical-but-not-much-at-all-really, dirty, raw digital, ear breaking, unprocessed, synthetically produced FM drum and bass hits, all kind of hitting each other, saying 'get out of way! this is my frequency range!'..

http://soundcloud.com/cinningbao/klangbong2

I should probably recommend that you don't listen to this on headphones, but if you choose the isolated experience, please turn it down! There are some evil transients here ready to rip your ear drums apart.

Enjoy!
Last edited by CinningBao on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomely nasty sounds! I particularly like the almost 80s synthfunk vibes at around 7:45

edit: Just clicked where I recognise your name from. You sent me a PM about CDP donkeys ago during a time I stopped visiting KVR. Sorry I didn't respond, but the moment had kind of passed by the time I got it about a year or so later. Sorry for being such an ignoramus, and I hope you've got as much enjoyment out of it as I have :)

hi cron - thanks :) I'm pretty pleased with my efforts..

hehe, yeah, Just checking my sentbox now.. Goodness me, that was another life ago! My time for CDP faded for a few years, but now I've got SoundLoom installed on my LapMac, which is even more unintuitive than SoundShaper(!), I'm slowly getting my head around its logic.

My general problem with CDP is that once I create a sound-design process, I then convince myself I can build it for realtime use in Reaktor or Plogue, which can take a looong time..

Thankfully this FM honkiness is back on my exploration/creation list and the turnaround is a bit quicker, which is nice.

I'm still a Soundshaper guy. Soundshaper is an absolute arse (I particularly like its habit of forgetting recently used settings) but I find Soundloom just totally impossible to wrap my head around. I've dabbled with it for the first time recently as it seems its batch processing capabilities are good. Been unleashing it on entire folders of drum samples with interesting results.

I've really got to wrap my head around the art of using samples (I'm much more synth-oriented) - batch processing drums to make alternate kits is a great idea! thanks :)

Anyhoo, just a little bump for those interested in hearing the second extended piece of ear-pain (see OP)

Dude, this is great work!

I just realised that the drums I love are FM-based :)

You did this in Plogue? I'm a mac guy, is there a mac equivalent?

Or any sample pack that you know of?
I can always process the crap out of the samples in Ultrabeat later.

Anyway keep it up, man
Mario

Hi Mario

All the drums are generated by homemade FM synths, in Plogue, on a Mac! It's multi-platform so have a go.
The demo policy is extremely generous I'm pretty sure..

No idea about sample packs - I hardly use samples at all, a few kicks and snares here and there, but all the klangbong stuff is exclusively FM synths triggered by the mutating sequencer.

Maybe I should consider creating a sample set from these abominations!

Cheers, again - I dig the love :)

Return to “Music Cafe”