I want a rent-to-own option for softsynths :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the ones who can't afford to continue are the ones you're not paying 200-300. whose products you're not buying used.

you can either think of this as natural selection or un-natural selection. either way it's still just "the market" at work.

"vote with your wallet" is what they often say.

if you don't like dongles, don't buy them. don't like 300 euro pricetags? don't buy them. don't like synthesizers without a mod matrix? don't buy those.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

That made absolutely no sense to me.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

what about it didn't make sense?

i said the ones who can't afford to continue are the ones not making any money. that's sort of obvious, no?

i also said it's ultimately up to you to decide who survives or not. if you're buying copies of one product and ignoring another because one has the features you want, that's your doing. in that case that's nature taking it's course.

piracy always gets brought up but it's a fact of life. same thing with taxes. you can complain that taxes are the reason you're not successful, but then how can you explain the company next door that brings in millions per year?

the real issues are a little more simple. companies need to offer a product people want and can afford and they'll be successful.

are hardware devices more successful because there is no piracy, or is it because people want hardware features?

yes it's all open to debate. feel free to waste your time debating it if you like but i don't see the point.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

bailees7irish wrote:isn't that basically what the Ohmforce payment option is?
[Insert Signature Here]

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you can lease hardware, why not software?

Adobe is already doing that with their Creative Suite software. Why not music software as well?
Last edited by Vintage73 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Phase Music

aciddose wrote:what about it didn't make sense?

i said the ones who can't afford to continue are the ones not making any money. that's sort of obvious, no?

i also said it's ultimately up to you to decide who survives or not. if you're buying copies of one product and ignoring another because one has the features you want, that's your doing. in that case that's nature taking it's course.

piracy always gets brought up but it's a fact of life. same thing with taxes. you can complain that taxes are the reason you're not successful, but then how can you explain the company next door that brings in millions per year?

the real issues are a little more simple. companies need to offer a product people want and can afford and they'll be successful.

are hardware devices more successful because there is no piracy, or is it because people want hardware features?

yes it's all open to debate. feel free to waste your time debating it if you like but i don't see the point.
Alright then. I wonder why if you think it is a waste of time debating you are wasting your time responding in the first place :shrug:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

you're confusing things. it's a waste of time debating piracy. mentioning that it's a force of nature that people buy certain products and undesirable businesses don't survive isn't. i hope.

it is called paid updates - i do not want enforced paid updates..! :lol:

(as above)
'rent' is a poor term for this. you'd 'buy' a timed key.
but unless it was widespread practice, it would hardly be
worth the hassle to implement.

it would be more interesting(for consumers)if devs got
together to provide producer packs where the user selects
what they want from a list and gets a substantial discount,
maybe with 'producerpack' versions being provided. if the
aim is to make more money for devs, this would be more
attractive to consumers. although not the same as providing
a pro with the instrument needed for a given project/period.
i have an old gear-hire catalog somewhere, with prices per
day/week for all old classic gear, so it isn't a new concept.

I for one would support this option! Especially for DAW software too!

pinbot wrote:I for one would support this option! Especially for DAW software too!
\
Definitely for DAWs :) I want to buy Studio One and if they has some sort of '$50 per month until you own it" policy they would have me on board for the Pro version immediately. I basically am buying Trilian this way, paying $70 a month through ZZounds online store for 4 months, so in a way there is an option, just not 'rent to own.' If I decide after a month that it doesn't work I have to try and sell it, walking away with a loss anyhow. I am not really into selling anything, I am not a good 'businessman' :)

It already exists... It is called a credit card!

Mattiiiii wrote:I think Waves and Avid are already offering plugin rentals.

also URS, I am surprised more people do now know this already. :)
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

bailees7irish wrote:isn't that basically what the Ohmforce payment option is?
[Insert Signature Here]

pdxindy wrote:It already exists... It is called a credit card!
:hihi:
[Insert Signature Here]

Return to “Instruments”