Compressors - Need Help To Reduce Them

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everybody,
19 Compressors in my VST-Folder are too much!
Could anyone tell me about:
- redundancies
- which are bad
- which have character
- which are very neutral
...mainly which to abandon

- sorcery
- barricade
- blockfish
- Broadcast
- Buzzrizer2
- C3 Multiband
- Classic
- Compressive
- Enddorphin
- FL4tt3ry2
- IQ4
- L3V3LL3r
- Nasty VCS
- Optron 3 A
- Peak Compressor
- Reacomp
- Stardust
- TripleComp
- T-Sledge
- Molot
Last edited by akira on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

all of em!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Tell you what, do what my mother does for her clothes in her closet. Have a folder with all your compressors, and when you used one, move it to a folder called "used" (hopefully your DAW doesn't have a huge issue with moving them within the same root folder), and after a year (or however long) any compressor not in the used folder, you throw out/sell. If it's been a year and you never used them, then you probably don't need it.

Or just, you know, throw out the ones you already know you don't use. I don't know why you need other people to tell you what is good and what you use.

my advide would be to stick to the compressor in your DAW and get rid of the rest.
'character compression' is hugely overrated imo.
I get along finde with ReaComp for 90% and sometimes use RedPhatt on drums.

darsho wrote:'character compression' is hugely overrated imo.
I get along finde with ReaComp for 90% and sometimes use RedPhatt on drums.
Ok, try getting ReaComp to sound like an SSL.

DELETED

Didn't (really) test:
- sorcery
- Stardust
- TripleComp
- T-Sledge
- Buzzrizer2
- Compressive
- FL4tt3ry2
- IQ4
- L3V3LL3r

Tested and I would keep them atm:

- barricade (only if the new TB version)
- blockfish (legend!)
- C3 Multiband (maybe try GMulti instead)
- Reacomp (needs an update IMO but keep it if you don't have another "all purpose" comp))
- Molot KEEP IT!!!

add:
VOS ThrillseekerLA
jsCompShaper
Antress PoloKiller maybe

try Antress Modern compressor. Very good stuff.

I used to work in the stock market and when i left one firm and went to another, i stole a bunch of leads because of differences with my boss. long story short, it seems like Antress must have worked for G_D and stole all his schematics for every staple plugin there is.

I am just now discovering the genius of Antress, even though over the years I looked down my nose at his work. China or Taiwan or whatever must have some seriously awesome plugins of their own if in fact he is just some random guy plunking out that sort of work on synthmaker.

OP, what's your DAW by the way?

If it were me, I'd buy some really nice ones and ditch the rest. You'd be surprised at how many bases The Glue, and things like IK's Black76 and White 2A would cover. In fact, I would take those 3 over all 19 of what you have listed.

overhishead wrote:OP, what's your DAW by the way?
Reaper!
your hint to the Antress plugs makes my problem even bigger :D
Ok...then let's include them in your reduction tips!

@Funkybot's Evil Twin
Read the thread title again....I never asked, which compressors I should buy!
:D

So you need to reduce them...
Give me the half of them.

Did it help? :oops:

Have a good day :hihi:

akira wrote:@Funkybot's Evil Twin
Read the thread title again....I never asked, which compressors I should buy!
:D
Yet my advice is still essentially "ditch them all."

"Then buy some really good ones."

:wink:

You *must* keep them all and use them regularly. There are huge differences between compressors, and, as we know, you can never use too much compression or own too many compressors.

Frankly, I'm puzzled by your question. For instance, if my wife (who's a singer) is having a good day, I'll use Compassion. If she's a little cranky, I'll slap some DC8C on her. If she hasn't had enough to eat, I need to use the Rough Rider Pro. And if she just finished a phone call to her mom, I definitely need to break out the OldTimer.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Seriously, I use about 6 compressors regularly, and I'm glad for all of them and the special things they do. Why limit yourself? (heh)
)

Nice approach, ariston...thank you :)

If I'll do, what you say and if I stay with your example, it would be nice, if somebody could tell me, for which situation you take which compressor!

Return to “Effects”