What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Amazing synth! (and few humble questions and suggestions)

Official support for: camelaudio.com

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

FarleyCZ
KVRian

698 posts since 26 Jun, 2008, from Czech Republic

Postby FarleyCZ; Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 am Amazing synth! (and few humble questions and suggestions)

Hi! :) I was tempted by Alchemy for so long. Alchemy is like a definition of chill-out. Mss Effect composers used it ... and now spectral mangling is gonna be trendy when even iZotope made their synth. ...so i decided to use the student discount and finally get this gadget.

...aaand I LOVE it. :) Especially that voicy breathing stuff is just marvelous with Alchemy. Additive resynthesis could use bit more high frequencies, but it's still blows out of the water pretty much any other additive and granular synth. Really a beast this plug. Can't wait to write a review of it here! :)

Questions:

- Is there any way how to "render" output of additive mode to spectral mode for editing it a bit more? I'd really like to reduce pitch variation of sample and then make some spectral editing on top of it. Looked into manual, but didn't find it.

- Couriousity: Is the (non-noise) resynthesis mode FFT based?

- Is there any orchestral sample library for Alchemy? Some real-recorded multisampled instrumental stuff to mess with. :)

Suggestions:

- May be I just didn't get the modes right yet, but that "spectral + additive" mode has a big potential to the future imho. If I understand it properly, each engine analyzes data on it's own ad then they play both together. I can definitely imagine them more connected, especially that pitch variation woul be cool working in both modes the same.

- Also spectral editor could use smearing, scaling and such, but I think that was suggested very often.

Anyway. Just amazing synth! :) Loving it. I originally thought I could regret holding myself back on the way to Omnisphere, but not really happening. This plug is really cool guys! :)
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

10303 posts since 18 Jun, 2008, from Melbourne, Australia

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:37 am

Hi,

And welcome :) BioWare have been using Alchemy for sometime, but it's nice to know it makes an appearance on the Mass Effect soundtrack. Very cool!

Additive resynthesis could use bit more high frequencies...

We'll be working on improvements to additive resynthesis for the 2.0 release - still some way off, but definitely part of our plans.

Is there any way how to "render" output of additive mode to spectral mode for editing it a bit more? I'd really like to reduce pitch variation of sample and then make some spectral editing on top of it. Looked into manual, but didn't find it.

Not as an audio file, but the Save/Load option on the Source menu will export the additive / spectral data as a CSV file for manipulating in a spread sheet or with a scripting language. Quite advanced, but it's certainly possible. More info on this page of the manual:

http://www.camelaudio.com/alchemymanual ... csv-files/

Couriousity: Is the (non-noise) resynthesis mode FFT based?

Yes it's based on FFT analysis.

Is there any orchestral sample library for Alchemy?

Not yet, but this is something we are investigating for v2.

May be I just didn't get the modes right yet, but that "spectral + additive" mode has a big potential to the future imho. If I understand it properly, each engine analyzes data on it's own ad then they play both together. I can definitely imagine them more connected, especially that pitch variation woul be cool working in both modes the same.

Additive + spectral mode can be combined (in a single source) when analysing samples - it's an option in the import audio dialog. It often leads to better re-synthesis, you can read more about this in my replies in the following thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342727

Also spectral editor could use smearing, scaling and such, but I think that was suggested very often.

The spectral editor could definitely be improved with better editing options. This is more likely to be a v3 feature than v2, although the spectral resynthesis will be improved for v2.

This plug is really cool guys!

Thanks for the kind words :)

Peace,
Andy.
FarleyCZ
KVRian

Postby FarleyCZ; Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:04 am

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Hi,
And welcome :) BioWare have been using Alchemy for sometime, but it's nice to know it makes an appearance on the Mass Effect soundtrack. Very cool!

Thanks! Yeah, I ment sound deigners actually. :/ But that atmosphres in that soundtrack ... I'd be surprised if that wanst at leas partially Alchemy too.

Not as an audio file, but the Save/Load option on the Source menu will export the additive / spectral data as a CSV file for manipulating in a spread sheet or with a scripting language. Quite advanced, but it's certainly possible.

Yeah. Well with a bit of detail control one can do a lot of things now. I just thought it'd be cool, if Alchemy could render output of it's additive engine and feed it into it's spectral engine. It can handle much more dificult tasks now, I think this function would be really beneficial. :)

Not yet, but this is something we are investigating for v2.
Really cool, looking forward! :)

Additive + spectral mode can be combined (in a single source) when analysing samples - it's an option in the import audio dialog. It often leads to better re-synthesis, you can read more about this in my replies in the following thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=342727

Yeah. Found about the function. Really cool. It's just that thought about rendering engine outputs really got me (over)thinking. :)

The spectral editor could definitely be improved with better editing options. This is more likely to be a v3 feature than v2, although the spectral resynthesis will be improved for v2.
Well I guess it takes a bit more than programing some ms-paint-ish routine. :D But thumbs up for that! :)

Thanks for the kind words :)
Anytime, man! :)
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:30 am

Thanks, yes I see what you mean now. Being able to re-sample any source directly in to another source using one of the resynthesis modes would be really useful. It probably won't ever happen in real-time (too CPU intensive), but it's certainly something we'll consider for a future update.

Peace,
Andy.
padillac
KVRist

342 posts since 27 Nov, 2011

Postby padillac; Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:28 pm

You can import something to additive, mess with it how you want, render it to wav and then import the wav to spectral engine. It's an extra step but it works today...does that get you what you want? What sort of control are you looking to get from this process?
FarleyCZ
KVRian

Postby FarleyCZ; Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:21 am

Well that's pretty much it, but now, there is lot of file browsing in the middle. Especially when you decide to re-do it fewtimes. Just sayin, would be nice to have it like a function inside the edit window. :)
ZenPunkHippy
KVRAF

Postby ZenPunkHippy; Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:50 am

Render to source would certainly make this easier. There is a workaround you can use to avoid having to re-import the individual samples with each bounce:

1. Create a folder named "Alchemy/Samples/Bounces" or similar and place a set of samples in it
2. Create a preset by importing these samples
3. Save the preset
4. Render your audio overwriting the samples in the folder from step 1
5. Re-load the preset

The preset will now load the newly rendered samples from step 4. I appreciate this is not ideal, but it saves a few extra steps.

Peace,
Andy.

Moderator: Camel Audio Mods

Return to Camel Audio