Any Tips n Tricks for Making BigRoom Synths in Sylenth/Massive/Virus Ti?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if any of you have any tips you can give me for creating those big room synths in sylenth1, massive, or the virus Ti. Maybe what effects (compressors, distortion, limiters, etc.) I have to use to achieve them would also help. Thanks!

Well, the effects and processing aren't as important as the actual sound design, but they are still essential to get that big room sound. So, make sure your synths sound fine before you even think of adding in distortion, reverbs, compression, or any of that, because that only complicates things. Get creative here, use your ears and you should easily be able to make something decent with massive or sylenth1.

That being said, once you've got your sounds made, the main effects you're gonna want to use to get that big room sound are reverb and compression. Don't use the synth's internal reverb for this, chances are it won't give you enough control over the reverb tail and colour. You're gonna want a deep reverb with lots of modulation, and some of the highs rolled off, but with a fairly quick decay to keep your synths from getting washed away in the ambiance. I'd recommend doing this on a send channel and then sending only part of the synth's dry signal through the reverb, to give you a little more control. On that send, after your reverb plugin, add an EQ and compressor. Use the EQ to attenuate some of the low-end and brighten up some of the upper-mids (not too much though). I find this allows you to have more reverb without as much mud accumulating in the mix. Then, use the compressor to fatten up the reverb a little bit, make it more prominent. You might also want to try adding a delay or chorus send (or both). This works well at adding a sense of size and space to leads and plucks and such. It can work well with basses as well, if you dial back the send amount of the reverb, delay and chorus by a fair bit (read: a lot), using too much time-based processing in the lows tends to make a mess, but used cleverly and sparingly, it can really bring it to life.

good info! thanks mate :)

Return to “Sound Design”