Xenakios HourGlass 1.4.5 granular processor (OS-X too), grab it while it lasts!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HourGlass

I will now proceed to hold my breath, until to Mac OSX version arrives.

... double post ...
Last edited by Xenakios on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply :D
Could be an older .ini file is still in there, Ill check later
So the default install doesnt require me to move any files anywhere?
Yes, that's right, it should run from HourGlass.exe without any further actions after unzipping the zip-file. (If everything goes well, that is.)

I will try to see what I could do about the settings ini-file triggering crashes, as that has been reported many times already and often deleting the ini-file has helped. There might be a problem in the code that parses and applies the settings on launch. It would also be helpful if there was some way to automatically delete/bypass the ini-file at start-up. I will look into these things. (That would also be helpful for the OS-X port, as the settings file might be pretty deep/hidden in the OS-X file system...)

The PortAudio issue might also benefit from the ability to use the alternative dll more easily...

Bump for 1.0.1 :

http://xenakios.wordpress.com/2012/04/2 ... -released/

Sorry, no OS-X version even as an alpha yet... :( Hopefully someday soon...

Bump for 1.0.2 beta for OS-X ;)

http://xenakios.wordpress.com/2012/05/0 ... -for-os-x/

I will also try to post 1.0.2 for Windows later today or so...(There are no substantial changes though compared to 1.0.1). The download server for the Windows builds is down anyway at the moment, sorry about that.

Just wanted to say thanks for Hourglass mac version.
I only had a very brief play but it seemed to work on 10.6
Best
s

Thank you very much for the Mac beta! Like smuff reported, it seems to run fine on 10.6.8.

Is there some kind of manual available anywhere? Playing around, I think I've got the hang of the basics but some instructions wouldn't come amiss…

Best,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote:Thank you very much for the Mac beta! Like smuff reported, it seems to run fine on 10.6.8.

Is there some kind of manual available anywhere? Playing around, I think I've got the hang of the basics but some instructions wouldn't come amiss…

Best,

Joachim
Sorry, there is no manual. Doing one would be a major task...And kind of a dubious effort to go into as HourGlass is clearly a fringe software that is likely to never have a large user base. (And it isn't really meant to be that way either. It's my personal attempt to do a sound fragmenter/granular sampler for my own needs.)

Have you watched the videos at YouTube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xenakios?ob=0

They are not really "tutorials", but they should show some of the features available and what to expect of the sound results. (I really should do some actual tutorial videos, those are much more easier and faster anyway to do than to produce a written manual...)

This is the best granulator I have ever worked with. It sounds great it is flexible I love it!

I have used, Crusher X, Composers desktop project, Cecilia Kyma MaxMSP you name it. I have a suspicion that you might be wrong about this being a niche product. I know quite a few people who will like this.

Many thanks.

Best

S :D

Bump for version 1.0.3 (edit : OS-X build now posted too)

http://xenakios.wordpress.com/2012/05/1 ... -released/
Last edited by Xenakios on Mon May 14, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smuff wrote:This is the best granulator I have ever worked with. It sounds great it is flexible I love it!

I have used, Crusher X, Composers desktop project, Cecilia Kyma MaxMSP you name it. I have a suspicion that you might be wrong about this being a niche product. I know quite a few people who will like this.

Many thanks.

Best

S :D
Thanks for the compliments! During the years I have also used various granulator softwares and become familiar with various shortcomings in them which I've tried to fix/change in HourGlass. (Also of course I've taken things I've liked from them... :hihi: )

I confirm OSC is running well, thanks a lot for this one !
I use Usine to send several automation via XY pads and a tactile screen, will be great.
I notice a strange bug when i automate transposition center via OSC, many graphics elements move in the same time..?, can send you a screen capture if needed.
and a little suggestion : an option " automatic create snapshots for each source" in the sounds source menu..?

nay-seven wrote:I confirm OSC is running well, thanks a lot for this one !
I use Usine to send several automation via XY pads and a tactile screen, will be great.
I notice a strange bug when i automate transposition center via OSC, many graphics elements move in the same time..?, can send you a screen capture if needed.
and a little suggestion : an option " automatic create snapshots for each source" in the sounds source menu..?
The only obvious thing I can quickly think of about one OSC message changing many things at once is that you have multiple parameters assigned to one OSC message. (Which is allowed on purpose.) Please do send a screen capture, if possible...

And i just notice it's not an OSC problem, even with the mouse if I move the little knob of Transposition centre, I've the same result... :wink:

win7,32bits

Return to “Effects”