Any other recommendations for warm phat VA synth free or commercial

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote: Yes, long ago, there was a music store in my hometown that had tons of old analogs when I was first getting into synths and I would go there and play with everything, and my first synths were an SH-101, Juno, and an Akai analog, I know there is a difference just the point that using EQ and effects doesn't count 'doesn't count' to me :shrug: not the greatest argument there I'm afraid. If a small amount of EQ and a wee bit or reverb makes a decent plugin sound suitably fat, I see no problem.
Of course I was telling a story. The room didn't make the 102 sound fat, the 102 makes the 102 sound fat. All the EQ in the world will not turn a reedy sounding half-baked synthedit plugin into a 102.
Yeah but that doesn't refute my statement:
Regarding effects, I can't imagine too many classic synths ever have or ever will be put into a mix without some eq and effects
There is no reason to say a VA can't use some effects to achieve a suitable end result IMO, it just isn't very fair. Of course some plugins mentioned may be half-baked but that isn't the case with many or even most of them.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

ghettosynth wrote: A roland System 100 will sound fat and warm all by itself through a large sound system in a huge room. Many of the reedy thin synths mentioned in this thread, will not.
I'll bet I can make the Roland System 100 sound thin and reedy, and those other synths mentioned in this thread sound phat.
To say not, is to say that sounds of synths (of which there are many different kinds) aren't determined by one designing sounds for it, "and" by the synth developer.
Those both play a part in making something phat or warm, or the hundreds of other adjectives you can think of.
It's not "only the synth, but the one who twiddles it's knobs, as well.

That's why I don't understand when someone says...I don't like this synths sound, or similar.
My reply will always be..."which sound"? You mean the guitar emu, or the slap bass, or the freaky lfo spaceship...which sound is it?
How could you not like "the sound". An init patch doesn't show a synths potential. Potential becomes shown only through doing many sounds on it.
So all opinions about some character from an init patch are really only subjective, and can't be taken seriously.
I could post an mp3 of a great sound, and ask people what synths they dislike.
Then ask whether they like the sound posted.
I guarantee that it is possible, most would say they like the patch, from the exact synth they said they didn't like, because it can't do such and such sound, like the exact one posted.
That's a good idea actually. Then we'll see if the experiment would be predictable or not.
A good sound is a good sound, no matter if it's one ping only or a R-system 100. Most would be hard pressed to know the difference if enough effort and time went into the patch.
Well maybe more between comparable synths anyway.

braj wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
braj wrote: Yes, long ago, there was a music store in my hometown that had tons of old analogs when I was first getting into synths and I would go there and play with everything, and my first synths were an SH-101, Juno, and an Akai analog, I know there is a difference just the point that using EQ and effects doesn't count 'doesn't count' to me :shrug: not the greatest argument there I'm afraid. If a small amount of EQ and a wee bit or reverb makes a decent plugin sound suitably fat, I see no problem.
Of course I was telling a story. The room didn't make the 102 sound fat, the 102 makes the 102 sound fat. All the EQ in the world will not turn a reedy sounding half-baked synthedit plugin into a 102.
Yeah but that doesn't refute my statement:
Regarding effects, I can't imagine too many classic synths ever have or ever will be put into a mix without some eq and effects
Your statement doesn't mean anything, which was why I was blowing it off. There is a wide variety of effects used from drenched to almost none. The point of my story was that there was very little in the way of effects being used, other than the room and the limited eq on the mackie 1202. That same day I also played an MKS-50, sounded good, but not huge, not FAT, now WAARRRRRM. It's the same guy doing the programming.

So if you just want a little room reverb and basic eq, a VERY common recipe, and frankly, I have quite a few underground techno tracks with dry synths, the quality of the synth will be very evident.
There is no reason to say a VA can't use some effects to achieve a suitable end result IMO
We're talking about the quality of synths. If your secret effect sauce makes a good synth great, then explain why it doesn't make a great synth greater.

Cmon convince me, record a bass line with SQ8L and make it sound like Diva. What effects are you going to use to make that happen? Reverb? EQ? Really, what EQ?

Yeah I'm done talking with you, you have your mind made up so I won't waste my time. I think I'll blow you off instead.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

mcnoone wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: A roland System 100 will sound fat and warm all by itself through a large sound system in a huge room. Many of the reedy thin synths mentioned in this thread, will not.
I'll bet I can make the Roland System 100 sound thin and reedy, and those other synths mentioned in this thread sound phat.
To say not, is to say that sounds of synths (of which there are many different kinds) aren't determined by one designing sounds for it, "and" by the synth developer.
Of course you can make the System 100 sound thin and reedy, just process it with one of the VSTs from this thread. No, seriously, that's not the point, how close can you get to the 102 at its fattest with SQ8L, now with Diva, or Ace?

braj wrote:Yeah I'm done talking with you, you have your mind made up so I won't waste my time. I think I'll blow you off instead.
So you can't convince me then? Because, I'm willing to try whatever effects that you think will make SQ8L sound like Diva.

Anyone then? Do any of you think that EQ and Reverb will make SQ8L sound like Diva? Because maybe I should just sell my Diva, right? I mean, if all I need is EQ and reverb to make any old synth sound like Diva, then why do I need Diva?

Can I make a toy piano sound like Diva with just Reverb and EQ, or will I need more sophisticated effects?

As has been said, Tyrell. But there is also Ultra Analog which I quite liked and can be picked up cheap here. I have been working with Largo a lot lately. Its not my first recommendation for a faithful analog sound, since its not designed for that anyway, but it can be warm and it can certainly be phat.

So many options. Many have been suggested already.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Thank you every one once again for all your replies and recommendations, I have read through it all!!

So here
is the list.....

Diva -as I said my Cpu won't handle it effectively and it is out of my Budget range

Alternatively Tyrell, use it for bass layerd with another synth like Dune (Tyrell for the "Warm rounded bass" and Dune for the bass "punch"

Korg mono/poly or Korg Legacy cell for layerd bass and Pads...will investigate.

OBX pro... Listened to it, quite like the sounds...will investigate further.

I did demo Saurus, as many said the sound is not bad at all, but how can one test it in a mix when the demo times out so fast and the fact that it was opening my internet explorer to the Tone 2 website at the end of ten minutes of testing is a big " lets rush into a sale" scenario.... I NEVER GET PUSHED INTO SALES...that Kinda thing just puts me off...

Electrax was not bad....had a much better Analogue type sound than Saurus.... in the little while I was allowed to flick through the presets

Ultra Analogue.... will investigate futher....

Now I know we use cliche word like phat, warm, thick etc... let me suggest some songs that will illustrate the sounds....

The songs for the bass sound..... Haddayway- what is love
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

Nice warm pads: Alphaville- forever young

sorry another Bass sound Lipps inc- Funky town and Snap- Rhythm is a dancer

combination of lead and bass - Axel F

Most of the Italo disco type sounds... leads, bass and pads....yeah I Know I am an Atari 80's kid

ohhhh Let me chuck another type sound example.... Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Love missle F1-11... Sigue Sigue Sputnik- Space Cowboy.....

I know they were wack...but I loved their Synth Sounds!!!

Thank you once again for taking the Trouble to comment and Suggest, I really am priviledge to be a KVR-member and to have all your input!!

Regards
TB4C
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

TB4C wrote:The songs for the bass sound..... Haddayway- what is love
Yep.
One Ping Only, put through the best fx processing money can buy, and a world class producer to mix it.
It's not the synth in that mix.
It's the processing and person doing the mix.
edit:
For the rest of those...you might need synth1, and repeat the above.
edit2:
You might wanna invest in a sound design course too, cuz your gonna need either a good sounddesigner, or become one yourself to pull any of those sounds off yourself, with any synth mentioned in this thread and not mentioned in this thread.

TB4C wrote:Thank you every one once again for all your replies and recommendations, I have read through it all!!
not sure if it's been recommended already (6 pages to read through now :-o ), but i'd also mention Charlatan.

a pretty simple synth, but the filters are great and the oscillators sound very nice... overall, it can work very well for simple yet fat sounds. i often use it for basses and screechy leads with lots of resonance (the 12db filter in Charlatan is fantastic for these).
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Mcnoone...You are a brilliant preset designer!! Let us see what you can do???

TB4C wrote:combination of lead and bass - Axel F
Listen: OP-X - Axel F.

Was still done with the basic OP-X. Should be re-worked with OP-X PRO-II...

TB4C wrote:Mcnoone...You are a brilliant preset designer!! Let us see what you can do???
and you are a nice guy, and I'm sorry for my noisy posts here, but a lot of the sounds we like to hear, mostly sound good to us, due to the playing, production, processing, and such, not so much the sound itself.
If you get those kinds of sounds alone to play around with, and nothing else, they will sound bland, flat, with a feeling of heard it before, all over them.
The only productions that get anywhere into some new ground, are the ones that don't use heard it before sounds imo.
Then after some new ground is made through great effort, people will post here, looking for something that sounds like your music.

So maybe if you can get the latest (non-special) issue of CM magazine. There is quite a number of included synths there that are capable of these sounds you seek. At least close to them.
ZebraCM, and DuneCM for starters, are both able to do something similar to what you need, and I might even be able to try doing some of them, for fun...but the production and processing needed, is something few are really able to do.
That you'd really need to go over and above with, to get anything good using those sounds.
If you just need some similar sounds, I'd be up to trying with ZebraCM or DuneCM if you can get those with the CM magazine disk.

mcnoone wrote:
TB4C wrote:The songs for the bass sound..... Haddayway- what is love
Yep.
One Ping Only, put through the best fx processing money can buy, and a world class producer to mix it.
It's not the synth in that mix.
It's the processing and person doing the mix.
In my experience it's false. Good synths have a sonic character and unique signature, and no FX will ever make an ARP Odyssey sounds like a DX7, a Korg M1 or a Fairlight sample.

Sound design matters, its true, production matters also, and how to play an instrument does also certainly matters ( if not the most) but saying that synths would be merely identical and that you can change synth X for Y in a mix without affecting the results is wrong. Also, some synths do sound less good than others, of course preception of said synths tend to differ from an user to another. Thats what we call diversity.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”