WIndows 7: 32 bit (x32) or 64 bit (X64) for VST Synths / DAW ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings ^_^

I'm a Windows XP 32 bit user, new to Windows 7...

Moving from Windows XP to Windows 7, wondering to adopt 64 bit or remain at 32 bit
It seems to me that about 80~85% of VST's (freeware & payware) are still for windows 32 bit only.

I'm aware of 'jbridge' but never had to use it on x32.
Is that what's needed to use x32 VST's in a x64 VST host :?:
- or- are there other workarounds, if so, what are they :?:

ie. what is the general method of using x32 in x64 and vise-versa :?:

Can I run simple freeware x32 hosts like SaviHost or VSThost on Windows 64 bit :?:

* if there's already a post(s) adressing these, I appreciate any links to :)

Thanks for any advice.
M ^_^

64 bit makes only sense if you have more than 4 GB RAM and want to use big sample libraries etc. that need such amount of RAM.
Old 32 bit plugins can be used with wrappers, but may be half of them will make problems. And W 64 bit is NOT faster than 32bit - in fact it is a little slower.
Instead of more than 4GB RAM and W64bit you'd better go 32bit and spend the money for an SSD Harddisk - this will be a fast PC.
ImageImage

What VST host do you use ? FYI , you can use a 32 bit host with 32 bit vsts on a 64 bit windows7 install .

todd sweetland wrote:What VST host do you use ? FYI , you can use a 32 bit host with 32 bit vsts on a 64 bit windows7 install .
Basic doodle around with H.Seib - VST Host and Experimental Scene - Dark Wave Studio.
( Thanks to both developers )

It's just that most new netbook/notebook/ultrabook/PC come with Windows 7/64 pre-installed !

michaelmoye wrote:
todd sweetland wrote:What VST host do you use ? FYI , you can use a 32 bit host with 32 bit vsts on a 64 bit windows7 install .
Basic doodle around with H.Seib - VST Host and Experimental Scene - Dark Wave Studio.
( Thanks to both developers )

It's just that most new netbook/notebook/ultrabook/PC come with Windows 7/64 pre-installed !

You'll be fine with 64bit Windows7 !! You can just install your 32bit plugs,host, apps etc. etc. in c: program files (x86) . And you'll be good to go !!

Yes, but then you have zero advantage.....
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
Yes, but then you have zero advantage.....
You can address the whole 4GB rather than the 2GB 32bit would restrict you too.

One of my systems is running 32bit Cubase on 64bit Win 7 for compatability with some old plugs and then jbridging Kontact & Reaktor (when it got 64bit support, it broke my install until I did this ) back into it, to take advantage of the memory outside of the inital 4GB. A bit long winded, but it all works for me!

I think definitely if you use Kontakt or sample libraries in general you're going to want to go with 64-bit. I think that's probably the main reason. Even if you're not sure but think you might want to explore that option in the future it is certainly something to consider. So you don't have to eventually upgrade twice!

As you probably know, the maximum on a 32-bit system is 4 gigs of RAM. If you're running a big orchestral template or some of the newer/bigger libraries you might find yourself wishing you had more RAM available. If you're not working with Kontakt and some of those big orchestral libraries then I'm thinking it's not as crucial.

The other thing is that even if you don't have more than 4 gigs of RAM now, but for whatever reason decide to upgrade in the near future if you already have the 64-bit os in place then all you need to do is pop in the new RAM.

It also depends on whether the hardware you're using has 64-bit drivers or not... especially if you have an older soundcard, older midi interface, controllers, etc., otherwise you're going to wind up having to replace some of those things.

Just a thought, but... since your machine currently has WinXP I'm guessing that it's an older machine. Is there a compelling reason that you need to update to Win7? Another option might be to just continue using what you have for now and save up and get a 64-bit machine down the road instead of going for the 'quick fix'. My general rule is: if it's working, don't touch it! Just saying...
Available on iTunes, Amazon, etc.

michaelmoye wrote:Can I run simple freeware x32 hosts like SaviHost or VSThost on Windows 64 bit :?:
Yes you can. The 64 bit Win7 operating system will run any software, 32 or 64 bit. All 32 bit hosts and 32 bit VST's will work on Win7 64 bit with no problem. So go ahead and upgrade to Win7 64.

The place you may run into a conflict is with your host/DAW and your VSTs. A 64bit host/DAW requires you to use 64bit VST's. A 32bit host requires 32bit VSTs. A bridge will enable you to use 32 bit VSTs in a 64 bit host or 64 bit VSTs in a 32 bit host.

chj wrote:
michaelmoye wrote:Can I run simple freeware x32 hosts like SaviHost or VSThost on Windows 64 bit :?:
Yes you can. The 64 bit Win7 operating system will run any software, 32 or 64 bit. All 32 bit hosts and 32 bit VST's will work on Win7 64 bit with no problem. So go ahead and upgrade to Win7 64.
The place you may run into a conflict is with your host/DAW and your VSTs. A 64bit host/DAW requires you to use 64bit VST's. A 32bit host requires 32bit VSTs. A bridge will enable you to use 32 bit VSTs in a 64 bit host or 64 bit VSTs in a 32 bit host.
The problem is using 32bit VSTs in a 64bit host - the bridging will only work on maybe half of the plugins.
Using a 32bit host will not give you memory advantage, and 32bit soft runs slightly slower on a 64bit Windows.
Using older hardware may also be a problem if not 64bit drivers exist.
Instead buying more than 4GB RAM better buy an SSD HD, believe me....
ImageImage

Somewhat related:

If you go for 64-bit Windows 7, make sure you have got the 64-bit drivers for your hardware.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

That's the key. Make sure you have x64 drivers. Might have already been mentioned but there are two folders under win7/x64. Standard program files and an x86 (or 32 bit) program files. So w/o trying to confuse you 32 bit apps work fine 99.9999% of the time.

I don't think there are many installing 32 bit win7 these days though of course many are still running 32 bit apps inside.

Win 7 64bit runs 32bit apps the same as Win 7 32bit.

Many VSTs are now 64bit
Some DAWs are now 64bit to allow more than 3.2GB in projects.

Win 7 32bit can use 4GB RAM max

Win 7 64bit Home can use upto 16GB RAM

Kaboom75 wrote:Win 7 64bit runs 32bit apps the same as Win 7 32bit.
Well, functionally identical, but it does lose a small amount of processor to the 32/64 bit translation.

Thanks ALL for your feedback & input.

^_^

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”