Any other recommendations for warm phat VA synth free or commercial

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lotuzia wrote: In my experience it's false. Good synths have a sonic character and unique signature, and no FX will ever make an ARP Odyssey sounds like a DX7, a Korg M1 or a Fairlight sample.
I know, I was just posting hypothetically. I mean...one ping only. ?
Even so, many synths are capable of imitating, in "as close a timbre as possible, or needed", using other synths.
Not all sounds, but certainly enough, and close enough to the original sound as needed.
Yes other synths can do the DX7 ep, that aren't fm7/8 or even FM synths. What might not be possible for one user with a synth, may be possible with another user using the same synth, in an emulation thing.
It might not be the same, but in a mix, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference, from a real Moog bass, and Diva, or Zebra doing an FM ep, or a DX7.
So therefore, what I'm saying is not "completely" false.
I mean using One Ping Only, might just make that DX7 ep tone, slightly out of reach...ya think?
What's the matter Lotuzia. You can't get a good Fairlight sound out of OnePingOnly? :hihi:
Me neither...but it was a joke.
Just saying. certain synths can emulate other synths pretty damn good sometimes, and there's nothing false about it. They just might do so to some purist, but the majority of people can't tell the difference, given enough skill, effort, and time, used in doing said emulation.

edit:I forgot to mention to the OP.
The CM magazine also includes another great free synth called PolyKB II Player, by Xils Labs.

Mcnoone,Thank you for your reply...I will go and Look for a CM mag here in South Africa.... let me see what I can achieve with the Software that is there. Lotuzia thank you also for your reply!

Guys I think I can close this thread, I am sure that there is no more info to add, all you guys have been very Helpfull and have opened my mind to a few ideas and also directed me to Synths that are very appropiate.. I checked all the Synths audio demos out and will be buying what is necessary. Maybe when I am done with the project I might come back here and post it!!

Thank you all for your time, help and effort in helping me

Have an awesome day further!

Regards

TB4C :D
The notes you don't play creates the silent gaps for you to hear the notes you do play :phones:

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I used to have a Yamaha PSS-680 for that DX bass sound ...

It was my first midi keyboard. :)

TB4C wrote:Guys I think I can close this thread, I am sure that there is no more info to add,
That's what you think. This thread is just getting started.

Maybe when I am done with the project I might come back here and post it!!
Please do! Would be interested to hear how you got your phat on. :)

TB4C wrote:Nice warm pads: Alphaville- forever young
JX8P according to some. So, the character of that filter is interesting in that it works well there but, to my ears, it has a dark quality and is a bit nasaly if you will excuse the non-technical description.

Synths with that particular roland filter design don't sell as well as synths with the more popular IR3109 based filters.

I don't think that this sound is that hard to nail, a lot of the synths in this thread will do it ok.
sorry another Bass sound Lipps inc- Funky town and Snap- Rhythm is a dancer

combination of lead and bass - Axel F

Most of the Italo disco type sounds... leads, bass and pads....yeah I Know I am an Atari 80's kid

ohhhh Let me chuck another type sound example.... Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Love missle F1-11... Sigue Sigue Sputnik- Space Cowboy.....

I know they were wack...but I loved their Synth Sounds!!!

Thank you once again for taking the Trouble to comment and Suggest, I really am priviledge to be a KVR-member and to have all your input!!

Regards
TB4C
As has been said, a lot of the bass sounds are FM. Lips Inc. maybe a moog, multi/micro etc. Songs from the 90s are a lot about samplers and sampler abuse.

Peter999 wrote:
TB4C wrote:combination of lead and bass - Axel F
Listen: OP-X - Axel F.

Was still done with the basic OP-X. Should be re-worked with OP-X PRO-II...
This example gets at the point for me...I've always felt a certain fuzz/blur factor when hearing VSTi trying to emu hardware sounds. The bass sound in this example pulls that out. The original bass sound conjures an image in my mind of a glossy black rubber ball, this example conjures that same ball rolled through lint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wgsj4eE ... re=related

The other day I was listening to New Order - Morning Night and Day, from their 2005 album....some great synth sounds there, especially diggin the rubbery arpegiatted bassy sound during the verse. Had me wondering if they were using hardware or VST for their synths on this album. If pressed for a guess I'd say hardware due to how clean the synths sound

One should not forget that in 80ies productions the synths went over analog mixers onto analog tape, which has added a lot of (good sounding) micro-distortions and compressions as well as frequency shaping in the highs and the lows

PolyAna
"It dreamed itself along"

Peter999 wrote:One should not forget that in 80ies productions the synths went over analog mixers onto analog tape, which has added a lot of (good sounding) micro-distortions and compressions as well as frequency shaping in the highs and the lows
Or for that matter, nothing says you need to record direct into the board. Plug your DX into a beefy power amp and put a mic or two in front of the speaker(s). You can do the same in the digtal realm... either literally or virtually. Try a combo of super clean and a bit dirty... like a Roland Jazz Chorus + Fender Twin.

megapiano wrote:Uncle E...what about the Korg MonoPoly??
I don't have it, I only have the original bundle. That said, I don't even like a real MonoPoly. ;)

ghettosynth wrote:
JX8P according to some. So, the character of that filter is interesting in that it works well there but, to my ears, it has a dark quality and is a bit nasaly if you will excuse the non-technical description.
Asked Bernhard Lloyd... it was a Jupiter8 layered with a PPG Wave 2.3 - these were the only polyphone synths they had.

Urs wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Asked Bernhard Lloyd... it was a Jupiter8 layered with a PPG Wave 2.3 - these were the only polyphone synths they had.
The PPG is evident later in the vocally bit. The jupiter 8 makes more sense from a timing perspective, the JX8p had just come out.

I suppose that explains why I found the JX8P a bit hard to believe.

Peter999 wrote:One should not forget that in 80ies productions the synths went over analog mixers onto analog tape, which has added a lot of (good sounding) micro-distortions and compressions as well as frequency shaping in the highs and the lows
One should also note that once you add distortion, fuzz, or degradation of any kind to a sound no amount of audio processing can get it back to clean. Put a VSTi emulating a hardware sound through that same setup, and though it may sound better, you will still not lose the fuzzy factor, and you will still not sound as good as what it's trying to ape.

BTW I'm talking VSTi in general, OP-X is a top tier plugin IMO.

It's also my opinion that when people say Fat or Warm what they really mean is clean.
I think all the hoopla surrounding Diva is that it breaks the "VSTi Barrier" and overcomes this fuzz factor. It sounds clean and clear, esp in the low end, but at a price on CPU....The top rated VSTi come to the top as they get the closest to doing just THAT.

All gut felt opinion, so disregard me as you see fit

mcnoone wrote:I think Uncle E's skills may be lacking or his patience short.
Patience short.
There are ways to make OnePingOnly sound phat and warm if one was so inclined to work enough at it.
Yes, if one was so inclined, one could coax something phat and warm out of anything, including cats purring and babies cooing. Literally!
If using the Korg LegacyCell, finding yourself uninspired? That's impossible.
Not impossible.
That would mean you simply don't like synths or something.
Or something.
Some of those presets are the most inspiring sounds I've heard.
They must be right up your alley.
...and I've heard a lot.
Me, too. I'm KVR Member #92. :)

Return to “Instruments”