Berlin Modular (ancient thread)

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bazzilie sound amazing!!!
So as i understand guys Bazzilie or Berlin Modular is going to replace Ace and probably late Zebra 2 too? and ad even much more?

I don't think replace :o Bazille is a smaller version of Berlin Modular .. (i think!) Zebra will eventually go version 3. Ace will have a bigger version called something i don't know.

This is all from what i've read here but i must warn you that my memory is only at 50% as coffee cup is not empty yet ;)
:hug:

It's been a moving target.

Due to limitations (memory, cpu speed) we initially thought of doing 3 independent fixed structure modulars (ACE XL, Bazille and something called Lush Modular). But meanwhile we're seeing a chance to do a big modular synth in the style of ACE and Bazille, but with exchangeable modules. Which of course is a slightly bigger challenge.

So we've been thinking of maybe finishing Bazille as a synth on her own and releasing her like ACE, as a mouth watering device that'll be fully deductable towards the full Berlin Modular system.

;) Urs

Urs wrote:It's been a moving target.

Due to limitations (memory, cpu speed) we initially thought of doing 3 independent fixed structure modulars (ACE XL, Bazille and something called Lush Modular). But meanwhile we're seeing a chance to do a big modular synth in the style of ACE and Bazille, but with exchangeable modules. Which of course is a slightly bigger challenge.

So we've been thinking of maybe finishing Bazille as a synth on her own and releasing her like ACE, as a mouth watering device that'll be fully deductable towards the full Berlin Modular system.

;) Urs
Exchangable modules, kind of like Vaz? All this sounds awesome. Great times ahead for us, glad to be on the front seat to see it all happen!

;) Urs
I think it would be just supper amazing if u could succed to make a big modular synth with exchangeable modules where i can combine awrything u have so far and more

p.s. Do not worry about CPU challenge,just put the best high end algorithms u can and make it sound as best as possible and put as many fetures as u can, but for people with old computers can do as u arealy done a selectable CPU perfomance.
So peaole with bad computers can use low settings but in the same time many of us will work on max settings and also it will increes the marker target range for ur company if u will succed to make really something ground braking

Polybius wrote:

;) Urs
Exchangable modules, kind of like Vaz? All this sounds awesome. Great times ahead for us, glad to be on the front seat to see it all happen!
probably it might be something like Kurzweil VAST (Variable Architecture System) which they did about 20 years ago and they still utileze that in their synths so basicly u can pach anything u want to awrything u want and combine awrything which might not even exist in the real world

If U-He will do something simillar to that their plugins will be prise less!!!

still my favourite vst <3 my synthesis knowledge has come leaps and bounds just from using and i've started teaching it to students because of the way it forces you to actually know what's going on. diva also gets a ton of use and the idea of being able to use something like those filters and oscillators in a bazille style environment is just too much :shock:

edit: obviously a touch screen interface comes to mind when this sort of concept comes up :D

btw, i made a 3 track ep where everything is sourced from bazille (including all drums, no resampling) on token records. it's getting lots of support from some very succesful djs. particularly the lead on the A side i dont think i could've done with another synth. it's got little high end artifacts as well as percussive modulation that just made the whole tune come together. i also find myself using bazille to imitate/replace sounds in remixes for more control and often times the original artist doesnt even notice because its so easy to achieve high accuracy with this thing.

so once again thank you Urs, my style/sound is now directly linked with bazille and its working out really well.

I've used Bazille for some time now, and I am very impressed with the possibilities and the sound. I have tried to find some kind of manual, but haven't found one. Most functions I can figure out myself, but some I still don't understand. For example, in the sequencer, you have four outputs, and it seems that if I choose output 2 I get a longer sequence. But what does the little numbers do? You can choose from 1-16, so I guess it has something to do with note values? Anyone has an explanation for the numbers? Can I re-trigger an ADSR or a note with the sequencer? I can change the pitch on a held note, but not retrigger a note? Does a manual exist?

The sequencer can act as 1 16 step sequence, 2 8 step sequences, 4 4 step sequences, 2 4 step sequencers and 1 8 steps sequence, etc. This is all depending on which output is active.
The pull down menus next to the outputs are clock-dividers (changes the rate at which the sequencer progresses in tempo synced values). The clock dividers only take effect when there is a cable connected to the output next to it. So, if you have a cable connected to the last output, changing the setting on the first clock divider will not have any effect.

Just had to say how amazed I am with Bazille. Honestly, this really makes me want to get a full-blown hardware modular at some point (can't afford one at the moment). Every time I turn it on, I learn a new little trick this sick thing can do. Recently I've really been focusing on using the multis for the modifiers rather than audio, and it's been a revelation. Mixing modifiers and audio on the same multi has been really interesting as well, although I'm still trying to find the best balance between the two.

So, I wanted to say thanks to u-he and give two big thumbs up.

While I'm at it, anyone have any interesting tricks to share?

chilly7 wrote:
Polybius wrote:

;) Urs
probably it might be something like Kurzweil VAST (Variable Architecture System) which they did about 20 years ago and they still utileze that in their synths so basicly u can pach anything u want to awrything u want and combine awrything which might not even exist in the real world

If U-He will do something simillar to that their plugins will be prise less!!!
IIRC, VAST is not like a hardware modular. All the modulation stuff is at control rate, not audio rate...

KBSoundSmith wrote:Just had to say how amazed I am with Bazille. Honestly, this really makes me want to get a full-blown hardware modular at some point (can't afford one at the moment). Every time I turn it on, I learn a new little trick this sick thing can do. Recently I've really been focusing on using the multis for the modifiers rather than audio, and it's been a revelation. Mixing modifiers and audio on the same multi has been really interesting as well, although I'm still trying to find the best balance between the two.

I agree, Bazille is awesome!! It has also given me the hardware modular itch...

As for tricks, try using the output of the sequencer as the sound source with an osc modulating seq position... it is a whole world of exploration right there! Especially lots of raw basses to be had!

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille9b.wav

More seq fun...

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille8.wav
http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille25.mp3

Another sound I just did using the sequencer as the sound source... and then twiddling some controls while playing

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille27.mp3

pdxindy wrote:Another sound I just did using the sequencer as the sound source... and then twiddling some controls while playing

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille27.mp3
^^^That sounds awesome.

pdxindy wrote:
KBSoundSmith wrote:Just had to say how amazed I am with Bazille. Honestly, this really makes me want to get a full-blown hardware modular at some point (can't afford one at the moment). Every time I turn it on, I learn a new little trick this sick thing can do. Recently I've really been focusing on using the multis for the modifiers rather than audio, and it's been a revelation. Mixing modifiers and audio on the same multi has been really interesting as well, although I'm still trying to find the best balance between the two.

I agree, Bazille is awesome!! It has also given me the hardware modular itch...

As for tricks, try using the output of the sequencer as the sound source with an osc modulating seq position... it is a whole world of exploration right there! Especially lots of raw basses to be had!

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille9b.wav

More seq fun...

http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille8.wav
http://draigathar.org/sounds/Bazille25.mp3
Those are some really nice examples. I particularly liked Bazille8. And that sequencer trick you mentioned is pretty sick--I got some really funky stuff using it, although I have to tame it still. I have a couple quick sounds I slapped together using the sequencer (although I've only used your tip on one here), and PD and FR using sequencers, LFOs, and audio-rate modulations:

http://soundcloud.com/kbsoundsmith/bazille-stuff

I've basically been "preset rushing", just trying to make as many as sounds as I can as quickly as possible to learn Bazille's functions, and it's just been stupid amounts of fun, although no one sound I've made is particularly polished or complex because of it. I'm starting to get a grip on what the possibilities might be with Bazille, so I'll try posting some more carefully crafted presets soon.

Edit: Here's another quick sequencer =patch, with some delay/reverb slathered on:

http://soundcloud.com/kbsoundsmith/bazille-stuff-2

Return to “u-he”