Cubase5 / RealGuitar [1 VSTi / 2 MIDI]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've done a fair bit of reading on this subject over the last couple weeks but just can't seem to figure out one of the most basic steps in getting these two pieces of software to behave the way I want.

This is a method mentioned by many folks in posts I've reviewed all over the web, but I am unable to duplicate it.

In a nutshell what I'm looking to do is:

Open a single instance of RealGuitar and have it fed by two midi tracks, the First containing the note info Fm,B,C# etc... and the Second containing the Strumming Pattern information.

I can get this to work by dragging a RealGuitar strum pattern on top of my note section but it then turns brown/grey and I cannot readily see the Strum Pattern information when I open the piano roll view.

What I'm trying to learn - How do I properly create/route a second midi track/instance in Cubase5 to RealGuitar so I can place the strumming pattern information on it.

Thank you.

FPT

Reading the manual, I see that the notes part of the keyboard is strictly for notes and there are sections above and below it strictly for strum triggers. you say drag a pattern on top of the notes. is this known to be the method? it doesn't sound right.

that is the same paradigm as I know from Orange Tree EEG. I go with a single track as the strum triggers and the notes you enter to be strummed are not in conflict at all, by design.

anyway it is one instance so I believe you must use a single channel [there is no indication of 'multi' in the manual]; be sure of that as well.

Hi jancivil.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm fairly new to all this so my use of recording lingo may be somewhat confusing such as "drag a pattern on top of the notes".

Here's a little more in-depth rundown of where things stand and how I got there.

Project / Add Track / Instrument / RealGuitar

*Note: I am also aware of... Devices / VST Instruments (F11) / RealGuitar
(If what I'm trying to accomplish will only work with one of the above starting methods please feel free to clarify which.)

At this point I have an instrument track called RealGuitar.

I grab my pencil tool and create a Midi Item/Space/Block.

Double clicking that I enter the Editor/Piano Roll and fill in the whole first bar with a C note, which tells RealGuitar to strum/play a C chord for the whole first bar.

Here's where I need the Cubase help.

I have tried this - Project / Add Track / MIDI - thinking that I would be able to easily route this to my original RealGuitar track and place the Strumming Patterns here.
(The reasoning being that if I later decide I want to change the acoustic guitar strumming pattern used in the bridge at bar 73 I can easily access it from here)

So far... no such luck.

Perhaps having RealGuitar mentioned in the thread has helped cloud the issue, it just happens to be the reason I'm trying to figure out something in Cubase.

With regards to your observations about Note Placement, you are absolutely correct. The strum commands are triggered from an area that places them nowhere near the melody/chord notes.

With regards to that "drag a pattern on top of the notes".

If I'm in the main project area and drag a RealGuitar strumming pattern from the pattern manager I can drop that right on top of bar 1 where I earlier drew in my C note.

This causes bar one to go brown/grey/shade out. If I double click bar 1 now, I will open the Editor and see my C note but not the strumming pattern info which is actually hidden underneath it. I am able to drag my original C note bar 1 to another track and reveal the strumming pattern below.

Which puts me right back where I came in... :shock:

What I'm trying to learn - How do I properly create/route a second midi track/instance in Cubase5 to RealGuitar so I can place the strumming pattern information on it.

Thank you.

FPT

I think I follow your problem better...

First, Two "Instrument Tracks" means two instantiations and you require the one. You want F11 VST Rack; once instantiated you want both tracks going to channel 1 for Real Guitar.

Second: In Cubase preferences, *Editing*, untick 'Link Editors'. (To ensure you have the single key editor with both parts consistently.)

Now once you have the two events/parts drawn in the project window, assigned in the inspector to Real Guitar and ch 1, select both events and double click.

You can edit either track as solo, or not [by the 'solo' button in key editor directly to the left of the part name. In C5 the icon is 3 curved horizontal lines. Used to be an 's']. The preference here is 'Select Channel/Track on Solo Edit'. Then you have the part in the editor by the drop down menu of part names as solo or not. Sans that preference you don't have that solo option.

Also if you want tracks to have the same name as 'parts' (a part is the same as an 'event' although a part can have more than one event in a track; gluing them consolidates into one 'event/part'. some people like more than one part in a track with descriptive names in the key editor, I don't.) tick that in Preferences/Editing.

jancivil

Just wanted to drop by and wrap up this thread by saying thank you.

Things are running the way I had hoped.

I've found some interesting and possibly unorthadox ways of making use of this new found knowledge beyond its original intent.

Turns out that in the world of digital recording (unlike the world of super-heroes) "With great power comes No responsibility"

Once again, Thank You!

FPT

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”