Auto timestretching of audio clips - other DAWs than Acid and Live?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder if there are any other DAWs out there that do this? Before you say "why don't you go with Live or Acid": I've owned Live twice and struggle to get comfy with the workflow, while Acid, on the other hand, doesn't play nice with several of my vsts, and seem to be a dead product in terms of development.

Any suggestions?

cheers,

A

Cubase can do this when importing loops from the Media Bay.

many apss do it, I believe Reaper can, and Sonar X1 definitely does

CoolColJ wrote:many apss do it, I believe Reaper can, and Sonar X1 definitely does
Is Sonar as effortless as Acid, meaning you can just paint in your loops and they'll loop seamlessly? Or will I have to prepare the loops in any way?

cheers.
A

aallvor wrote:
CoolColJ wrote:many apss do it, I believe Reaper can, and Sonar X1 definitely does
Is Sonar as effortless as Acid, meaning you can just paint in your loops and they'll loop seamlessly? Or will I have to prepare the loops in any way?

cheers.
A
I'm not an expert on Sonar X1, but there is a loop/groove window you can bring up. Any audio you record can be used here

some links

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/ ... ction-View

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/ ... -and-Loops

and
SONAR employs a new technology called "Groove Clips". So what is a Groove Clip? A Groove Clip is an audio clip of any length that is "smart". How smart? Smart enough to remember the tempo at which it was played and smart enough to allow you to stretch that tempo without changing the pitch. You can change pitch if you like. Simply assign a reference pitch to the groove clip so when your song changes pitch your clip will follow it automatically.

You can easily convert any audio recording to a Groove Clip.

Split the original clip, or use Slip Editing in the Track view until it's roughly a loop. If you slip edit, we recommend you right-click the clip and choose Apply Trimming
Double-click the audio clip to open it in the Loop Construction view. The Loop Construction View contains tools that will quickly determine the number of quarter notes in a clip. A four measure clip in 4/4 time should have 16 beats. The number of beats in a clip must be specified for looping clips. SONAR will also determine the original tempo of the recording. SONAR uses the original tempo to adjust to your project's tempo. The original tempo must be specified for stretching clips.

For more information about SONAR's Loop Construction view, open the Loop Construction View and click Help, or push the F1 button on your computer keyboard.

Looks interesting, thanks CoolColJ

logic...

cubase..

pro tools

sonar

the ones i have mentioned also include in tempo, in project sync preview

In logic and sonar's case though they only PREVIEW it at tempo if it has acid or apple loop metadata

PT and Cubase guess on any loop like live and acid.

ps i better add to be fair, sonar's real time groove clip stretch algo is abysmal.

Sometimes not even good enough for previewing, certainly not when it comes to stuff other than drums.

You'll need to flatten with radius in sonar to get a quality shift.

Sonar X1 does preview at tempo even for non-acidized wav files. If you want to get close to Acid then Sonar is the one cause it previews the loops at Tempo and Key just like Acid. You can change the Key of the entire project too. The catch is that the loops need to be acidized wav files. Reaper can preview at tempo as well. One advantage Reaper has that you can select the algo that you want to use in the project pref. I agree with above comments on Sonar's real time groove clip algo but Radius is the best. Bounce all the clips offline using Radius to get the best out of it. I believe even Studio One lets you preview loops at the project tempo.
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

If you wanna stretch it, NI's Traktor 2.5 with that F1 hardware lets you use loops in realtime .. sort of another way of workflow not being a daw. Im seriously considering getting it, just to get that "live" feeling to arrangements!

worth thinking about!

Dubspot's video showing F1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3PBTeMvzQ
:hug:

Samplitude stretches with or without pitch shift, and can be looped to tempo.

Greg

Seems there are quite a choice of hosts that do this. I have much demo'ing to do :D

Thanks guys!

S1
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

MountainKing wrote:S1
I'm trying it out right know. First impressions are good :)

S1 takes time stretch even further - with the smoothest workflow.

Please let me describe:

You can audition a bunch of new loops (midi or audio) against your song - to discover which you like best.

Ths works like a simple browser - no brain is required - only ear.

Then drag the preferred loop onto a track - literally anywhere - and it matches perfectly (like acid).

then

it's a doddle to groove match the new loop to, say, your bass beat or a lead line (midi or audio)

- so the new loop sounds like it was born there.

And this is so incredibly easy.

There's none of this nerdy "transient detection" rubbish to do.

Just drag'n'drop - then click "apply" for spot-on groove match.

This feature is brilliant, as my loops all start to make sense together.

The Free S1 version doesn't do this, so there's no way to test it.

But the paid versions does it beautifully.

Footnote:

After years of Cubase and Sonar, I'm now a total Studio One fan.

Current project is composing a bunch of my own loops in S1 with Massive - like building my own construction kit.

Next I want to use my S1-developed loops in Maschine for live song composition - deejay my own loops.

So far so good. Thank you, S1 :D
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”