VST3 / host interfaces

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

VST3 documentation seems to indicate the following interfaces should be implemented by the host. I have only implemented IParamValueQueue and IParameterChanges and things seem to be fine, but I dont have many VST3 plugins for testing so I'm not sure. If an host interface is not implemented would a plugin silently ignore the case or crash? I wonder.

Thanks for comments..

class IAttributeList
Attribute list used in IMessage.
class IComponentHandler3
Extended Host callback interface IComponentHandler3 for an edit controller.
class IContextMenuTarget
Context Menu Item Target Interface.
class IContextMenu
Context Menu Interface.
class IComponentHandler
Host callback interface for an edit controller.
class IComponentHandler2
Extended Host callback interface IComponentHandler2 for an edit controller.
class IEventList
List of events to process.
class IHostApplication
Basic Host Callback Interface.
class IVst3ToVst2Wrapper
VST 3 to VST 2 Wrapper Interface.
class IVst3ToAUWrapper
VST 3 to AU Wrapper Interface.
class IMessage
Private Plug-in message.
class IParamValueQueue
Queue of changes for a specific parameter.
class IParameterChanges
All parameter changes of a processing block.
class IUnitHandler
Host callback for unit support.
~stratum~

I guess no one likes VST3 :) By the way the host is an audio wave editing application so the midi stuff and the events can be ignored.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:I guess no one likes VST3 :)
:hihi:

try asking your questions on the VST mailing list - the Steinberg devs have been very helpful with some of my VST3 questions.

try asking your questions on the VST mailing list - the Steinberg devs have been very helpful with some of my VST3 questions.
Thanks, I didn't know that there was a VST mailing list.
~stratum~

stratum wrote:If an host interface is not implemented would a plugin silently ignore the case or crash? I wonder.
That depends on the intellectual capabilities of the individual VST3 PlugIn developer, so there's no simple answer.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

That depends on the intellectual capabilities of the individual VST3 PlugIn developer, so there's no simple answer.
In that case the answer would be to test as many plugins as possible, but seems like the only VST3 plugins around are made by Steinberg or Yamaha, and their trial version don't work without a usb dongle.
~stratum~

Waves PlugIns also come in VST3 form.
"Until you spread your wings, you'll have no idea how far you can walk." Image

I can send you my nearly beta VST3 version of my synth if you want to play with it.

Waves PlugIns also come in VST3 form.
Thanks for the tip.
I can send you my nearly beta VST3 version of my synth if you want to play with it.
That would be nice if the host were capable for supporting synths, but it's a basic audio editing application, the only kind of VSTs supported are audio processors. Thanks anyway.
~stratum~

Without naming the plugins I've finally found a few that have problems with my host:

- a few plugins sometimes cause a deadlock when the module is unloaded if both the controller GUI was shown and any processing was previously done (but not if only one of these had happened)
- a few plugins crash for no apparent reason during processing.

Seems like this will be difficult to get right :)
~stratum~

stratum wrote: - a few plugins crash for no apparent reason during processing.

Seems like this will be difficult to get right :)
I'm developing a new plug-in that I may want to release someday as a VST3. My reason is to facilitate external sidechain for Cubase/Nuendo users. Actually, VST2.4 host DAWs can support external sidechaining very nicely (REAPER, for example), but Cubase/Nuendo happens not to make it easy for their users to avail themselves of this feature with VST2.4.

So we want to make our plug-in as a VST3 for Cubase users... However, it looks to me like Presonus S1, which introduced VST3 support before Steinberg published their VST3 SDK, may not behave similarly to Cubase WRT VST3. Is Presonus planning to comply exactly with Steinberg's SDK in the future? or will there be two or more flavors of VST3?

Do you feel there is enough demand for VST3 support at this time to justify the development expense?

cerberus wrote:
Do you feel there is enough demand for VST3 support at this time to justify the development expense?
I consider myself as an outsider of the market so I cannot make a comment about whether it justifies the development expense.
~stratum~

cerberus wrote: Do you feel there is enough demand for VST3 support at this time to justify the development expense?
No. But also, sidechaining is supposedly one of VST 3's new features. (Yes, you could do sidechaining easily enough in VST 2.4 with a plug-in with 4 channel input. You just had to dedicate a mixer group channel to panning your signal to 2 inputs and modulator to the other 2 inputs.)

[/quote]No. But also, sidechaining is supposedly one of VST 3's new features....[/quote]

Extra, extra! Gutemberg invented the printer!

Seriously? Sidechaining as a new feature with bells an whistles in 2012? Wow!

I would really want to see their codebase:

http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/The-Speedup-Loop.aspx

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”