i wish fl studio was a true multitrack daw.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:
megalodonnl wrote:[
I reply with quote to bump up this topic because I'd love to have the above guestions answered. It's so annoying there's no way to post on image-line's forums unless you're already a paid user.
So, what you are saying is you are trying out the demo?
Yes, that's what I wrote already in my 1st post, just above my last post...

I've tried the demo for a few weeks, on and off, and there's no way to give or get feedback about it. I guess I'll give up then.

Post removed. Should refrain more... :roll:
Last edited by audiosabre on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

my my.

megalodonnl wrote:When I listen to music or read posts I sometimes really wonder how many real musicians are using these DAWS. I mean people who actually play a physical instrument. Are they not bothered with the lack of these BASIC features I mentioned above? Don't they even notice these things because the only thing they can play with is a mouse?
i've come to accept the fact fl is designed for everything that isn't multi-tracking. if you want to multi-track you need to use a multi-tracker, not something like fl.

it's a shame because fl does have some interesting features mixed in with it's chaos. you just have to accept the fact you can't separate the parts you like from the parts you don't like.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

megalodonnl wrote:
megalodonnl wrote:FL Studio (demo) 10.0.9 issues/questions:

When I listen to music or read posts I sometimes really wonder how many real musicians are using these DAWS. I mean people who actually play a physical instrument. Are they not bothered with the lack of these BASIC features I mentioned above? Don't they even notice these things because the only thing they can play with is a mouse? Is it really just kids with a mouse these days that only milk out the concept of repetition when they 'compose' a new song? Anybody?

And yes, I know Afro Jack uses FL Studio, but that's not a musician to me. That's another person who milks out the concept of repetition, which seems to be the norm these days. I do admit he's big for a 'kid'.
I am a real musician that records real instruments through FL Studio. I use the Edison plugin to record my line in guitar(not USB)which then assigns the .wav to an audio clip track that I can place in the playlist just like non wav live tracks made that end up in the piano roll. I record everything live, guitar, a cheap drum trigger to use with BFD and I tap out my bass part with my midi keyboard. Each recording has it's own FX channel to mix as I please, I can quantize in the piano roll and correct non wav vsti notes if need be and then set it all up in the playlist. If you want to talk basic recording, this is it, and I have no problems. I never use the pattern feature, just live recording, one guitar wave file and the rest end up in the piano Roll linked to a VSTI. I love FL Studio. I can also edit my wav file at any time by calling up a 3rd party editor that you assign in FL Studio.

I think most "Real Musicians" would not be using the demo or entry editions anyway. Remember that Edison records the live line in instruments.

I am just a hobbyist, not a professional by any means, but this sounds good quality to my ears. I could have fixed every flaw, but I just enjoy making quick jam sessions.

Something I did today
http://compusouth.net/music/Harmonix.mp3

Real live guitar and drums, virtual bass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O-C5wyfzYY&feature=plcp

Like crimsontider, I'm a 'real' musician using FL Studio. And I'm loving it. No other DAW just comes close to the snappy FL Studio experience. But that's just my opinion, of course. Your mileage may vary ;)

And with 'real' musician I mean that I play guitars, bass and I do some singing. And a bit of piano. And some banjo. I just don't record a lot, but when I do I really like how FL Studio works. It's different from 'real' multitrackers, sure, but for now I haven't felt the need for using other products :) My main genres are jazz and folkrock, but every now and then I'll experiment and venture into the world of orchestral compositions.

I use very few patterns. I only make patterns for stuff like the intro, verses, choruses and bridges. Just the separate parts in a song, basically. I used to make a ton of patterns, but when I started working on a big composition I quickly got over 50 unique patterns, and that just made me go crazy. Going with as little patterns as possible allows for a much better organisation, in my opinion. I might not work how FL Studio was designed to be worked with, but that's alright with me :)

Just to recap - Fl Studio has evolved past a drum loop program.

The pattern/loop properties is the orginal bread and butter of "Fruity Loops" and I suppose many use this part exclusively. But Fl Studio can also be used like an old fashioned analog recording studio if you choose to. I use it like that but with the digital tools.

Yes. This thread should be re-named "I wish I knew how to use FL Studio"

Redspark wrote:Yes. This thread should be re-named "I wish I knew how to use FL Studio"
Poignantly said Redspark!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Being a "Real Musician" doesn't necessarily translate into an aptitude for computing :)

All new posts without a single one addressing the specific issues/lack of basic features I posted.

And the demo version is the producer version. And I like to try before I buy, so I try the demo. Apparently this explanation is needed for some. I thought ppl could figure this one out for themselves.

Yes, I know about FL Studio not being just a pattern sequencer anymore. In fact, it got it's piano roll in v3 and the option to record Audio in v4. So since we're at v10 now, you can expect that some basic features are indeed implemented and more, which is- and is not the case, depending on what you'd expect.

And of course, yes, I have used Edison when recording ONE instrument at a time. But I wasn't complaining about Edison, was I? But now that it's brought up, those Edison options are actually part of any decent daw (like recording multiple takes and choosing the best take, adding markers/sections, etc.), without the freaking need to load a PLUGIN to have some of those options. And because there's no need for a plugin for that in other daw's, you also don't have another extra window, cluttering up your view.

Since nothing of what I wrote earlier was addressed I repeat again:

Loop Recording (MIDI, you know with a MIDI keyboard for simulating instruments that you don't physically have, not audio recording):

Selecting an area in the PianoRoll won't Loop Record in that selected area while it DOES work in the Playlist, but I have to switch back to the Piano Roll in order to delete the recorded notes or use the undo feature (=hassle).

Midi again:
Is there no sub-option like Touch-Replace so that only the notes touched upon will be replaced?

Who can deny that this is a pretty serious LACK of a 200 dollar costing
PRODUCER VERSION of a DAW program? Can you please mention ONE other 200 dollar costing PRODUCER VERSION of a DAW program that does not have a sub-option like Touch-Replace?

Again, the reason why I reacted like I did on the forum and felt like posting this, last, reply is because:

a. I couldn't give feedback to ImageLine on their forums which is frustrating
b. I actually LIKE FL Studio's other qualities but just can't understand why they screw up in certain areas and don't understand their price policy, which is frustrating
c. the way certain people reacted on this forum, as if I don't know how to use the package, etc.

But that's enough ranting for me. I'm not against FL Studio or ImageLine and really wanted FL to work for me, but I've decided it's just not for me for that price, at least not a (32bit) Producer version.

<No other DAW just comes close to the snappy FL Studio experience>___<...recording multiple takes and choosing the best take, adding markers/sections, etc.), without the freaking need to load a PLUGIN to have some of those options. And because there's no need for a plugin for that in other daw's, you also don't have another extra window, cluttering up your view.> :hihi:

Kvr:

I have a thought............. *

*not that other forums are w/o similar results.

Isn't 12.21.2012 take care of this? :scared:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Although I have a CS degree and own a computer software business, both megalodonnl and Imagine Line know a lot more about DAW Hosts than I do. But common sense comes into play here.

There has to be a pretty good reason why the issues Mega- brought up are not addressed by Image Line. The odds that he knows what's better for FL Studio than Image Line seems pretty low to me. Considering that FL Studio is a very successful piece of software whose clout as a DAW Host continues to grow every year. Does that sound accurate? Why he would know better than them?

Image Line is apparently happy with FL Studio. They obviously do not feel the need to quickly transform it into a true multi-track host for whatever reason. Maybe they have plans down the road but they will eek into it, or they like their niche' and don't want the software to be an inferior version of something else. Right now it is especially great for a creative minded person that is away from the studio. I personally have never attempted to use it with multiple analog inpu signals in a studio environment.

It is what it is and either it fits your bill or it doesn't, but questioning why it doesn't do the same things as Pro-Tools is pointless imo. That's better suited for software changes to something you already use.

If you were seriously interested in getting the company to tweak its features, dogging it on a forum is not the the best route.
Last edited by crimsontider on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”