Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine: Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Steven stated yesterday
Save your pennies today because you never know what ground breaking revolutionary audio products might be released tomorrow
They also started a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/SlateDigitalVTM

...and it can be always ordered at audiodeluxe.

There is a cross-grade offer for users of:
* Slate Digital VCC
* Waves Kramer MPX
* UA Studer or Ampex

If the prices are valid, it's $199 for this cross-grade (full price $249).

Hopefully in some hours we have something to demo and eventually a new winner in the tape emulation department ;)
Last edited by 4damind on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Curious about this one, as an owner of VCC which I really love, will be testing this one for sure too! I really like Reelbus, so Slate offering has to be really special to make me buy it. But who knows, VCC was so good so I wouldn't be surprised.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Slate said hes not selling it till its 100% the same as a real Studer 800 and 827. Thats why it's three months late, I hope it is that close.

Better than Waves MPX will be good enough for me. The UAD one is over my budget.

Kaboom75 wrote:Slate said hes not selling it till its 100% the same as a real Studer 800 and 827. Thats why it's three months late, I hope it is that close.

Better than Waves MPX will be good enough for me. The UAD one is over my budget.
Well, as long as it's in the digital domain it can't really be 100% the same, but that's naturally just the marketing bull you get from slate. Anyway, if it's 99% the same I will certainly be piqued.

Music recorded on a real Studer is sold on CD which is digital so it can still be the same sounding. VCC worked out sounding analog it's not marketing lies.

I have all Slate products & with this one I'll have to see how many bugs it has first before buying it.
As always give his products a few months before the problems are more or less all ironed out.
Last edited by Lenticular on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4damind wrote:There is a cross-grade offer for users of:
* Slate Digital VCC
* Waves Kramer MPX
* UA Studer or Ampex

If the prices are valid, it's $199 for this cross-grade (full price $249).
If there a cross-grade from TB ReelBus and RoundTone ?

I'll happily pay 20 euro's for SSVTM (that's like 33% more then ReelBus).

If not, my monitors would probably refuse to play audio from this plug anyway, as it'll be too pristine for them :roll:
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Same sound as a real overdriven tape recording on an A827? Really? No, really? If only this was true. Same harshness removal effect as in a real tape recording? REALLY?.. Oh well, I'll just wait and hear if it comes anywhere near the real thing or just ruins the sound like all the others.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:Same sound as a real overdriven tape recording on an A827? Really? No, really? If only this was true. Same harshness removal effect as in a real tape recording? REALLY?.. Oh well, I'll just wait and hear if it comes anywhere near the real thing or just ruins the sound like all the others.
Fabrice and Steven did a great job on VCC. I'm not going to let that fool me into believing they nailed the sound of tape before I heard the plugin, but their previous track record sets expectations very high. I wouldn't be surprised if they get tape right (I think UAD is by far the closest with that Ampex plugin). If they do nail the "tape sound," I'd be most curious to see at the expense of how much CPU?

For example, RC-Tube's saturation is not at all as good as real tube saturation, and it doesn't have the unique frequency balancing/harshness taming effect. Audio on tape is way more complex than any of their other processors, so I would not just be surprised, I would be truly amazed if they got it right. I sure hope to be.
Before anyone jumps: I appreciate their hard work, and even SD valued my indirect comments and audio examples enough to ask me to beta test stuff, so don't start.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

I hear it will be available US east coast 3pm = 11PM in England.

I don't need any more saturation/tape/whatever stuff so I probably won't demo this but it certainly looks interesting :)
I like the input/output linking feature. More plugins should have a feature like that.

Cheers
Dennis

Would have probably been interested if the price was lower.

And don't even start with hardware vs software comparison .. I know (price and advantages)

... but I recently bought a decent tape saturation plugin for 10 euros :P ..it's no Studer, but it's not 2498792 dollars :D so there!

It's available at audiodeluxe. You can get a good deal by making an offer.

Kaboom75 wrote:Slate said hes not selling it till its 100% the same as a real Studer 800 and 827. Thats why it's three months late, I hope it is that close.
It'll still take a while I'm affraid - though nothing wrong with promoting it already.

From the recent looks however, it's a versatile beast:
- link mode (with UAD and Roundtone, one of the few tape machines that offer that)
- two tape machines (2" 16-track and 1" 2-track)
- two tape models
- two IPS (30 and 15)
- the used to calibration (as with VCC)
- good visual representation

Be warned however (to those that make this a "purchase rule"): iLok 2!

Whether or not you're liking or even using it, doesn't matter. It's one among many products out there. And glad that there are. I mean - I have Magnetic 1 and 2 (love it for the ultra low tape mode for HiFi cassette effects), Roundtone, FEROX, FERRIC TDS, Nebula (Demo), I messed with the UAD creation, with the Waves MPX, with MellowMuse's SATV, SoundToys Decapitator and I have one 1/2" 2-track and one 1/2" 4-track R2R's myself.

Each of these tools offer an individual flavour. The trick is to use them right and not overuse them. Which of these products will be superior lies within the eye of the beholder.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”